Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #76
jsfaint
jsfaint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4 Black
Thanks for your clearly explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
If it's simpler for you, you can do this:
- delete the contents of history folder
- delete the contents of cr3cache folder
- delete settings.reader.lua file from librerator folder
- edit defaults.lua to look like this:
Now I know what did I missed. I haven't delete "settings.reader.lua"
After delete this file, everything works well now.

Thanks again!
jsfaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #77
drauger
Enthusiast
drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.drauger has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kindle4NT
brick

Yesterday I had several anxious hours after trying Librerator on my K4. It worked, and I've tested several epub, pdf and chm files, but when I've pressed Exit, it has exited and in 3-4 seconds launched again. After 3 tries of exiting and self-relaunching, my kindle has started to reboot, but Librerator has started again, and new reboot has followed. After 2 or 3 reboot cycles I've seen "Your Kindle needs repair" message and the word 'framework" in the bottom of kindle's screen. Brick. Even USB disc was not seen by PC.

The word 'framework" in the bottom of kindle's screen definitely pointed at some problems in /var/local partition. Due to some happy coincidence, yesterday I've copied the entire /var/local to tarball to find and back up cookies (without ssh). So, after several attempts I've launched usbnet mode (via fastboot), clean /var/local and restore it from tarball.

Now my K4 works as before, and I've got some new experience. But I wouldn't recommend anybody to install Librerator on K4.
drauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #78
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@drauger

I'm really sorry about your problems. I myself don't have K4NT, so I can't test it. The problems you describe are similar to those we had when using cr3runner to start Librerator before (self-relaunching, rebooting... see here.), but it was fixable with hard reset of the Kindle.

Can you please give me some additional info? What K4NT do you have (black or silver)? What is the version of your firmware? What other hacks/custom software do you have installed? How did you install Kite (update package or manually)? How did you start Librerator (normal kite, kite with last file opened, ssh)? Anything else that you think might be helpful?

Anyone else - pleasse report your experience. It will help me fix it. Thank you.

Regards,
Kai771

Last edited by Kai771; 01-19-2013 at 04:35 AM.
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #79
mihof
mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle 4NT, Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
First - sorry for my bad english.
i have Kindle 4NT, grey, I have installed Cool Reader 3 and Librerator, when I installed for the first time LibreratorR2, I have problems with starting of CR3, it writes that I don't have permission of the autor or so. This problem doesn't exist with the Librerator R1. So, I now have installed both, but when I copy Librerator, I didn't copy the launchpad folder. Now works just fine.

Librerator is realy good program, but I miss some more font sizes.

mihof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #80
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

@mihof

Thank you very much for your report. Librerator should not interfere with CR3 in any way, both R1 and R2. The problem you describe seem to point to the missing developer key, which, as far as I know, can't possibly be caused by Librerator. When you installed R2, did you by any chance try to install jailbreak/Kite again? Maybe some of that caused it?

Launchpad folder is not needed on K4NT, and can safely be removed, but it shouldn't make any difference even if it's there.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to sort it all out. And again, thank you very much for your feedback.

Regards,
Kai771

P.S. Your English is just fine
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #81
mihof
mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mihof has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle 4NT, Pocketbook Touch Lux 3
Yes, this was been that developet key missing and no, I didn't install anything, I just copy Librerator R2 files.

Last edited by mihof; 01-20-2013 at 02:54 PM.
mihof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #82
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
R2 works perfectly on my K4NT.
The new info header with title and author is also good.
Thanks
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #83
Kai771
Just a Noob

I made a pdf file with K4NT shortcuts and attached it to the first post in this thread. It might be useful if you want to carry it with you on your Kindle.

Regards,
Kai771
Old 01-24-2013, 05:42 AM   #84
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
This is almost perfect.

My current setup: I like to keep most of my books on kindle. I like to access them by folders, not by collections. I like to use the default kindle reader for mobi books. I am keeping my books in the /mnt/us/books folder.

I have added to librerator (in filechooser.lua) an option to copy the current file from its location inside /mnt/us/books to /mnt/us/documents. And this works as expected.

I have tried to strip down the librerator files to only keep the functionality I need: filechooser with copy to /mnt/us/documents. Is it possible to post such a stripped down version?

On a different note, on reading mobi books with librerator: many information on the current book are lost when changing reading properties or at exit or when returning from screensaver mode. I mean: the last position in the book and the bookmarks. It is quite disturbing. I find myself searching page by page just to find out the spot I stopped reading an evening ago. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thank you for your good work.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #85
Kai771
Just a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
This is almost perfect.
I have added to librerator (in filechooser.lua) an option to copy the current file from its location inside /mnt/us/books to /mnt/us/documents. And this works as expected.
You can do something similar without modifying filechooser.lua. Maybe I didn't advertise this feature enough . It works on Kindles with keyboard (K4NT owners - sorry, this is unavailable to you).

Lacking better name, let's call this feature "favorite locations". It works like this: open filechooser, and go to a directory of your choosing - let's say, "Books". Now press Shift-P. You'll get a "Location saved" dialog. Now go to some other directory, let's say "Novels". Press Shift-O.

Now, every time you press "P" in FileChooser, it will go to "Books", and when you press "O", it will go to "Novels". I think you get the idea - there are 5 saveable locations, keys Y, U, I, O, and P. You save location using Shift and one of these keys, and go to a saved location pressing just one of the keys, without Shift. "Documents" is hard coded on "D" (meaning, every time you press "D" in FileChooser, it will go to "Documents". These locations are remembered when you exit Librerator. So, next time you start it, you just need to press "O" to go to "Novels", for example.

You can't delete this locations, but you can overwrite them - if you want "O" to lead to "Fantasy" now, for example, you just navigate to the "Fantasy" folder, and press Shift-O. After that, every time you press "O", it will go to "Fantasy".

Note: "D" will always go to "documents". You can't overwrite it using Shift-D.

Now, if you want to copy books from "Books" to "documents", you do this (I'll assume you have "books" saved on "P"):

- Press "P". Select the book you want to copy and press Alt-C.
- Press "D". You're in "documents" now. Press Alt-V. Book copied. Repeat as necessary.

Quote:
I have tried to strip down the librerator files to only keep the functionality I need: filechooser with copy to /mnt/us/documents. Is it possible to post such a stripped down version?
It seems that you want to use Librerator just for the file manager. Of course it would be possible to strip it down, but frankly, it's time consuming and I don't want to bother with that. If a few MB more of the space are too much for you, then maybe you should try using Midnight Commander or, for even more space saving, just myts?

Quote:
On a different note, on reading mobi books with librerator: many information on the current book are lost when changing reading properties or at exit or when returning from screensaver mode. I mean: the last position in the book and the bookmarks. It is quite disturbing. I find myself searching page by page just to find out the spot I stopped reading an evening ago. Am I doing something wrong here?
I don't really understand what you mean with "changing properties". If you change font/font size/line spacing - then yeah, that will cause reformating of the document. After reformating, crengine will position you at the page that contains the beginning of the paragraph that was on top of the page when you changed font/font size/line spacing. That paragraph is only guaranteed to be on the screen - not necessarily on top of the screen. Because it position the beginning of the paragraph on the page, a slight drift backwards may occur. That's how crengine handles it. If the text you were at is not on the screen, in 99.99% you just need to press pg_fwd.

Bookmarks work the same. When you set bookmark, the paragraph that was at the top of the screen is marked, and when you go to that bookmark, it will make sure that that paragraph is on the screen - not necessarily at the top of the screen, especially if you changed the font/font size/line spacing in the meantime. If it marked page, it would end up on the wrong ones when you change font/font size/line spacing.

As for the other part, if I don't chage font/font size/line spacing, it goes back to the exact same screen after screen saver kicks in, after I reopen document, or close and then open again Librerator. Maybe you deleted history or cr3cache folder? If you do that, then all the book data will be reset, and it will start from the beginning.

Regards,
Kai771

Edit: After I wrote this post, I tried it again and found out that there is a bug that prevents saving reading progress if you just exit librerator from a book. A workaround is to first close book, and then exit Librerator from File Chooser. I do find it annoying, but I think it's not critical. I'll fix it in the next release. Thanks a lot for reporting.

Last edited by Kai771; 01-24-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #86
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
@Kai771: "Of course it would be possible to strip it down, but frankly, it's time consuming and I don't want to bother with that."

Yes, you are right, it is fair. One technical question. I deduced that simply stripping the code is not enough. There are two executables and four libraries present. If anyone is missing, the program does not run. I conclude that I need to recompile something. Is there a manual for programming lua on kindle? Thank you.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #87
Kai771
Just a Noob

@hfpop

As far as I know, lua is the same no matter where it is run. KPV/Librerator acutally use LuaJIT. You might want to compile your own lua or luajit, since I think it gets statically linked with some other stuff in KPV/Librerator. (I don't really know, it changed a few times over time, and as I always say - I'm just a noob. I just modified some things. I never even read lua manual - I just looked at KPV code )

You probably know this, but... lua docs:
http://www.lua.org/docs.html

Regards,
Kai771
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #88
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It's a bit difficult to disentangle the libraries, at least at the moment. I would suggest to live with them and concentrate on the Lua code if you want to start to get your hands dirty with code. It's plain Lua, plus some interfaces for document handling (you don't need those for your plans) and some for input handling and graphics, like fonts, images and blitting them onto the screen. I suggest to read some of the Lua files, especially the file manager related ones, plus the main file. You can just edit them: Lua is a scripting language. For a quick start, I would just live with the executables as they are.

More or less this is the approach how librerator became its own software, derived from KPV.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #89
Kai771
Just a Noob

200 downloads

Librerator R2 reached 200 downloads, so I thought this is a good opportunity to reveal the easter egg I put in both R1 and R2. Now, don't hold your breath, it's nothing major - Librerator shipped with 3 different on-screen keyboards. I call them classy black (default), elegant white, and snaily gray.

To change it, you need to delete the file inputbox.lua on your kindle, then make a copy of one of these files: inputbox.vk-black.lua, inputbox.vk-white.lua or inputbox.vk-grey.lua and rename that copy to inputbox.lua.

As I said, it's nothing much, but... there you go .

Regards,
Kai771
Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #90
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tũr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...16&postcount=5
Any similar Kual support on the offing there Kai?

cheers
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, epub, fb2, pdf, reader