Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Question Did anyone succeed to boot the Wifi from SD card? How?

Maybe I'm stupid and blind (I rule out neither), but for the live of me I can't find any reference of someone booting from an external SD card on the Kobo Wifi.

There's plenty of talk about it at first glance, but most seems to relate only to the original Kobo.

If there already is an explanation somewhere, kindly point me towards it.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm. 12 days, no reply yet.

No one knows? Or no one cares?
Or all who know don't want to share their secrets with me? Don't worry, I'll not say anything. I prefer to write anyway

Or is it really so obvious and I'm the only one failing to see it?
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Take a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=20

Not sure if that was for the Kobo or the Kobo WiFi.

Also try http://blog.ringerc.id.au/2011/01/ko...i-hacking.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
Maybe I'm stupid and blind (I rule out neither), but for the live of me I can't find any reference of someone booting from an external SD card on the Kobo Wifi.

There's plenty of talk about it at first glance, but most seems to relate only to the original Kobo.

If there already is an explanation somewhere, kindly point me towards it.
Press and hold the center of the d-pad while powering on.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:20 AM   #5
Cyberman tM
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d0g View Post
Press and hold the center of the d-pad while powering on.
I'm sure I tried that.
Then perhaps my SD card was wrong? What format does it need to be, what kind of system should be on it?
Advert
Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
What exactly did you put on the SD card? Without knowing more about your level of expertise and which kobo you have, it's difficult to provide a useful answer.

Gen 1 kobo used uboot, wifi used redboot, and I don't own a touch, so I have no clue how it boots. If you're really up to playing with bootable embedded linux, the kobo GitHub should be a useful starting point for you. https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Reader

Doh, just re-read your OP. You said wifi so redboot. It's in the GitHub repo.

Last edited by 3d0g; 07-25-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: clarification
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
Cyberman tM
Evangelist

What I tried so far was copying the image of the internal micro SD card onto a 4GB card, then only copying the boot partition. I didn't really have any other system I could try - I hesitate to use any EB600 software, as the internals are too different (on-board memory vs. internal micro-sd).

I tried it with the SD card formatted as Ext3 as well as FAT.

I think I also tried to use the files from a Greenbook eReader, since I assume it to be a similar hardware (if not the same - certainly both are Netronix).

Now that I think about it - the data from the micro SD card doesn't include the kernel anywhere in the formatted area, does it?
So perhaps I should compile the whole kernel and put it on the SD card? Not sure if I ever tried that yet.

Hm. I guess it's time to break out the Linux VM again. Perhaps I didn't see the forest because trees were in the way all the time.

Tags
boot, kobo wifi