Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Help me read Honor Harrington

So I've tried yet again to read the oft praised and suggested first book of the Honorverse and yet again fizzled out.

I like Space Opera. I like MilSciFi. Women are great (Go Kris Longknife, Vatta, and so on.) What I can't stand is that dang tree-cat. It just bugs me. So please, does it die in the second book and I can grit my teeth and wade through the first one and have the other 27 (guesstimate) novels of the Honorverse to look forward to?

I see one of those cat-things on the cover of one of the later books. I think I'm doomed. Its going to be one of those serieses everyone else adores and I'm left to pine about weeping over my eReader mewling 'if only...'.

artifact
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifact View Post
So I've tried yet again to read the oft praised and suggested first book of the Honorverse and yet again fizzled out.

I like Space Opera. I like MilSciFi. Women are great (Go Kris Longknife, Vatta, and so on.) What I can't stand is that dang tree-cat. It just bugs me. So please, does it die in the second book and I can grit my teeth and wade through the first one and have the other 27 (guesstimate) novels of the Honorverse to look forward to?

I see one of those cat-things on the cover of one of the later books. I think I'm doomed. Its going to be one of those serieses everyone else adores and I'm left to pine about weeping over my eReader mewling 'if only...'.

artifact
Wow! Nimitz (the main tree cat) is one of my favorite characters in the series! I love him and his family. As to what happens to him, eventually, I don't know. I've yet to make it through book 10. I tend to burn out everytime I try to complete the series.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Wow! Nimitz (the main tree cat) is one of my favorite characters in the series! I love him and his family. As to what happens to him, eventually, I don't know. I've yet to make it through book 10. I tend to burn out everytime I try to complete the series.
I seem to recall that Weber promised his wife that he would not kill Nimitz off. I've enjoyed all the Honor Harrington books. There were a couple of books that bogged down a bit, IMPO, but I think the last couple have been quite good.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Might as well give up now. Nimitz is in every book and not only that other Treecat's will pop up later in the series.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
uliiogen
uliiogen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Might as well give up now. Nimitz is in every book and not only that other Treecat's will pop up later in the series.
uliiogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Maybe I'll give it a go! I love tree-cats.

appears it's a free download from Baen, is that true?

Yes, I see it is...downloaded, will check out the tree-cat!

Last edited by kennyc; 12-20-2013 at 07:40 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
appears it's a free download from Baen, is that true?

Yes, I see it is...downloaded, will check out the tree-cat!
On Basilisk Station is excellent as are the next half dozen or so. For me it starts to go downhill after that - and yes, the treecats are part of the problem for me.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Graham, I'll keep an eye on those treecats......just the thought makes me think of the Cheshire cat in Alice in Wonderland....
Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I never liked the treecat stuff either. It reminds me of the mascot characters you often see in anime. I put up with it, because I did enjoy the action sequences, but yes, maybe give up if it's too much for you.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I never liked the treecat stuff either. It reminds me of the mascot characters you often see in anime. I put up with it, because I did enjoy the action sequences, but yes, maybe give up if it's too much for you.
Treecats are certainly not pets or mascots.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
The treecats are an important part of the story...i don't think they are going anywhere.

In fact, Weber (with help) has also started offshoot novels about origins of the treecat/human relationship with a Harrington character. First book is "A Beautiful Friendship". I haven't read it but I do like Nimitz and his fellow treecats in the Honor Harrington books.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I read the first 2 Honor Harrington books last year but never continued with the rest for some reason. I don't remember that much about them, so I might give them another try sometime as well.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Might as well post some free book links in case anyone reading this thread wants to give the series a try.

On Basilisk Station Baen | Amazon | Sony
The Honor of the Queen Baen | Amazon | Sony

Mission of Honor CD @ The Fifth Imperium
ISO.zip (317,657,584 bytes) | CD.zip (318,343,861 bytes)

Contains (among other things)...
The Honor Harrington series:
On Basilisk Station
The Honor of the Queen
The Short Victorious War
Field of Dishonor
Flag in Exile
Honor Among Enemies
In Enemy Hands
Echoes of Honor
Ashes of Victory
War of Honor
At All Costs
Mission of Honor

The Honor Harrington Universe novels:
Crown of Slaves
Torch of Freedom

The Honor Harrington anthologies:
More Than Honor
Worlds of Honor
Changer of Worlds
Service of the Sword

Saganami Island Series:
The Shadow of Saganami
Storm From the Shadows
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
kennyc

Thanks Brian!!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #15
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I liked Weber's reinvention of space combat in this series, making it so much closer to traditional (older) naval conflict.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote