Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Astronaut Neil Armstrong has died

Quote:
Multiple US news sources are reporting that legendary astronaut Neil Armstrong has died at age 82. As the spacecraft commander for Apollo 11, the first manned lunar mission, he became the first human being to land on the moon and step on its surface — where, as he bounced down from the spacecraft's ladder, he famously said "that's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/25/32...trong-has-died

Rest in peace among the stars.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
A true Pioneer.
I remember where I was when he stepped out onto the Moon Surface.
I hope we get the chance to go back permanently.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
A true Pioneer.
I remember where I was when he stepped out onto the Moon Surface.
I hope we get the chance to go back permanently.
Apache
As do I. I was 18 months and counting away from being born. I was born in Dec of 1970 so he landed 1.5 yrs before I made my entrance. He was a very brave man to go up in Apollo 11 and trust that things would work out ok. If something had gone wrong his obit would have been written in 1969 rather than 2012 since there would have been no way to get aid to them.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Quote:
he famously said "that's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
I understand he was supposed to say "that's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind." In the excitement of the landing he accidentally left the 'a' out of his sentence. Can't say I blame him though. He was the first man to stand upon the moon and anyone would be excited.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
Polyphemus
I am not The Stig
Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyphemus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK-3g; PRS-350; Galaxy Tab 7.0+; Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
I remember watching it on a 9" black & white TV, when I was a kid.

RIP Neil Armstrong.
Polyphemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I understand he was supposed to say "that's one small step for (a) man, one giant leap for mankind." In the excitement of the landing he accidentally left the 'a' out of his sentence. Can't say I blame him though. He was the first man to stand upon the moon and anyone would be excited.
Actually, he said it the way he intended but the transmission garbled what we heard. A few years back (2009, I think) they brought out the tapes and cleared out the static and you can clearly hear the "a" in the sentence.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I was nine years old and sitting in a 55 Chevy with my grandfather when we heard "tranquility base here, the eagle has landed.". The Chevy belonged to my uncle who had been killed in Viet Nam 9 months earlier. That night, we watched the one small step for a man. I will remember that day, and those moments, as long as I live.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Actually, he said it the way he intended but the transmission garbled what we heard. A few years back (2009, I think) they brought out the tapes and cleared out the static and you can clearly hear the "a" in the sentence.
The way it is rememberd, without the "a", is better though.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
kepler42
Seasoned Developper
kepler42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch, Kobo Glo
Does not make sense on this forum..Or is there a book that you can recommend ?
kepler42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
StoryEnthusiast
K. C. Lee
StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StoryEnthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone
I still remember the landing scene vividly. Very inspiring journey. Teaches me to dream and take up challenge.
StoryEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler42 View Post
Does not make sense on this forum..Or is there a book that you can recommend ?
From the Earth to the Moon
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
He was a true hero as were those who took the journey with him; no doubt about it. It takes a lot of courage to sit on top of an explosion that's going to carry you somewhere no human had ever traveled. There were so very many things that could have gone wrong, as the Apollo 13 astronauts later discovered first hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler42 View Post
Does not make sense on this forum....
You were right. As the General Discussions forum was the wrong place for it, this thread has since been moved to the Lounge by one of the moderators. In addition, I gave it a "Seriously Thoughtful" tag to distinguish it from the usual light banter here.

Off-topic: Is your name Kepler, or is your User Name a tribute to the mathematician/astronomer Johannes Kepler (and of course, Douglas Adams)?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Coincidentally I just watched the Discovery Series, The NASA Missions: When We Left Earth on Netflix. Amazing accomplishments especially considering the computer tech we had back in the late 60's early 70's.

Alas, I think Moon Base Alpha will remain a TV show (Space: 1999) for quite a while... I don't expect to see a moon colony in my life time.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I re3meber his stepping onto the surface well.

As I recall, at that point the feat wasn't landing safely and traversing the surface; the feat was lifting off and making it back home.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
RIP.

Some say the Apollo astronauts were lucky to be at the right place at the right time. But it still required guts and courage to go on a journey where there was a chance they might never make it back. True pioneers.

I understand there were 24 men in all who walked on the moon. The youngest surviving is now aged 76, I believe. I hope the world doesn't go back to a period of existence where there are no men alive who have walked on the moon. I reckon it'll take China making efforts to put a man on the Moon or Mars to kick off the next big space race with the USA.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote