Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Disable iTunes auto backups

Thought I would share this link since I use it myself. I have a 64gb iPad and every time I would connect to iTunes to sync it would want to automatically backup. Since my iPad has tons of stuff on it, these backups would take well over an hour. You can use this free program (BackOff) to disable auto backups in iTunes: http://www.digidna.net/products/backoff

Note that if you use this program you can still manually backup the iPad by connecting it to iTunes, right-clicking on the iPad and selecting "backup".
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Weird, I've got 56G on my iPad, it does a full backup only once a day (when I sync it before I go to sleep). Any further syncs that day are fast and skip the backup. The reason yours might be taking so long is that you haven't let it go through it completely once already.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Weird, I've got 56G on my iPad, it does a full backup only once a day (when I sync it before I go to sleep). Any further syncs that day are fast and skip the backup. The reason yours might be taking so long is that you haven't let it go through it completely once already.
I think that may be the problem. Also you can click the small "x" next to the backup bar and cancel the backup but it will continue the sync.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
I don't think it likes all the little files I have. I have a ton of manga in ComicZeal's file share that I think are slowing the backup down. I don't need my iPad backed up every time I sync... I'll probably do a manual backup once a month.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

They aren't backed up every time, only once. My suggestion, kick it off before you go to bed, it should be done by morning. After that it should only back up what is changed.
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Who really knows what Apple's backup is doing? Ever look at the folder? It's just a mess of files. It could be his app is "touching" all his many files flagging them as modified and iTunes thinks it needs to back up several gb once again.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I've used a free too called back off to disable the autobackup. Google for it. I could't backup my iPad if I wanted too.. Not enough diskspace
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
lilman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I've used a free too called back off to disable the autobackup. Google for it. I could't backup my iPad if I wanted too.. Not enough diskspace
That's the program in the op :P

I too don't have enough free space to backup my iPad. I dual boot my laptop and only use Windows when I absolutely have to (like for iTunes)... I never planned on needing a lot of space for it. I was hoping I could sync to my desktop which is a Windows only machine but the iPad only lets you sync with iTunes on one computer.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
scottjl
Reader of Books

just like every ipod has ever been. but why not just sync it only with your desktop and be done with it?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:49 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
No, it normally works fine, and I let it go through, it is only when it goes mad and takes forever that I have to stop it. Googling suggests I'm not the only one with the issue. Maybe it is too many apps, or too much data in apps, no idea.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

Not sure if you're on a Mac or a PC. If you're on a Mac you might want to check out this article. Apparently there is a bug in iTunes 9.1.1 (build 11) that was fixed in 9.1.1 (build 12). It involves constant re-syncs of music files. Might also contribute to lengthy backup times.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Not sure if you're on a Mac or a PC. If you're on a Mac you might want to check out this article. Apparently there is a bug in iTunes 9.1.1 (build 11) that was fixed in 9.1.1 (build 12). It involves constant re-syncs of music files. Might also contribute to lengthy backup times.
Thanks, but I'm on a PC. Turning backups off has definately sped things up.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
I'm on a PC and turning on manual management of audio and video has also sped the back-ups a bit for me. However that's not the main problem: with the same amount of data in the iPad the time required for a back-up seems to change from day to day and sometimes slows down to a crawl after backing-up ~ 90%... to the point that that last 10% can take 15 minutes + to complete. Other days it just zooms through it (my 64GB iPad has ~ 40GB free) and the whole back-up + sync is done in under 3 minutes.

This suggests a technical problem that is still there after you turn off video and audio syncing and since my iPhone continues to sync just as fast as it always has, it seems to be a bug in how iTunes handles the iPad sync or in the iPad itself.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
lilman
Addict

I tried a full backup the other night and after 3 hours it was only at 15%. Needless to say I cancelled the backup... there is no way I would want to restore from a backup that takes that long (it is easier to manually transfer the files again).

I later jailbreaked and took a look at the iPad file structure. I think my backup problem is caused by all the comics I have in ComicZeal. I've transfer 6gb+ of 3k+ cbz comics, which ComicZeal unarchived into individual folders. This resulted in 70k+ images in my ComicZeal file share. Even though 6gb+ isn't that much data, 70k+ files take forever to backup.