Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Updated rss2book

Just wanted to let people know there's an update. You can now follow links in feeds and do some custom post-processing. For example, you can now get a nice BBC news book by using the following feed settings:

Name: BBC News
Url: http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonl...t_page/rss.xml
LinkElement: guid
LinkProcessor: get http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/mpapps/pagetools/print/$link

Enjoy, and if you come up with other good examples and/or post-processing scripts please share them.
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
heavyB
heavyB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Treo 600
Question

I love it geekraver (I need to macro that statement for future posts!)

Can you expound a little on what the $link variable expresses? Is it the content of the LinkElement? I'm having a bit of a lerning curve on working this out.

For instance, I'm attempting the following, which by all examiniation of the BBC example, should work (?!)

Site: Reuters Top Stories
URL: http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/topNews/
LineElement: guid
LinkProcessor: get http://today.reuters.com/misc/PrinterFriendlyPopup.aspx?type=topNews&storyID=$li nk

A sample GUID tag for this RSS feed is:
<guid isPermaLink="false">2006-11-02T233457Z_01_N02182890_RTRUKOC_0_US-USA-ELECTIONS-BUSH.xml</guid>

If I paste what I think it's trying to compile in RSS2book by using the GUID contents as represented by $link, it should give this:
http://today.reuters.com/misc/Printe...TIONS-BUSH.xml

It yields the print version in a brower, but no go in RSS2book.

Thanks for your efforts...

Last edited by heavyB; 11-02-2006 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added example
heavyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm, let me look into this tonight. Your configuration looks right and it *should* work, so there must be a bug.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
geekraver
Addict

It's possible that this is because the page has lots of Javascript and other noise. I do plan to include the ability to specify a regular expression to extract a subset of the page, which will help in many cases.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
heavyB
heavyB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/Treo 600
Thanks for taking a look...

I don't claim to know anything about how rss2book is developed, but would it be pratical to build & pass your smart links to htmlDoc for the html extraction as opposed to .NET? It seems to handle anything you throw at it.

Please don't feel obligated to educate me on how you do things, I wouldn't be offended by a "no"

Last edited by heavyB; 11-02-2006 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Because I obviously can't spell
heavyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert