Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #31
Solari
Nameless Being

I checked my settings and it shows version 2.3 on my K2 so I downloaded the update and put it in the root directory of the Kindle. Then I followed the directions and went to Settings to update the kindle but the update option is grayed out... Technically it means its already updated but my version still shows 2.3 not 2.33. Anyone run into this?

Thanks,
Ray
Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM   #32
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Do you have font or screensaver hacks applied? They have to be removed before the update can be applied.

Are you downloading the correct update version? There are different ones for the Sprint and AT&T Kindles.

After those two things, I'm out of ideas, sorry.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #33
Solari
Nameless Being

No hacks. How do I know which one I have? I.e. sprint or att?

Ray
Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #34
Solari
Nameless Being

PS I read somewhere how to check for which version and it appears I have the AT&T one. Hope this helps.

Ray
Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #35
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
If you have the AT&T wireless version (it's the newer one) you have to make sure you're using the update_kindle2_gw.bin (that's a link to the file. If you're using that file and have no hacks and it's still not working, I'm sorry, but I don't know what the problem could be.

Good luck,
Tracey
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 02:53 AM   #36
SILen(e
SILen(e began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Int.
Anyone checked if it displays version 2.3.3 after the update?
As it is only a minor update, maybe it omits the last ".3" and displays only 2.3 even if it is running 2.3.3.
SILen(e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:15 AM   #37
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILen(e View Post
Anyone checked if it displays version 2.3.3 after the update?
As it is only a minor update, maybe it omits the last ".3" and displays only 2.3 even if it is running 2.3.3.
Mine displays 2.3.3 since the update.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #38
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshm View Post
Mine displays 2.3.3 since the update.
Yes. I thought I said that earlier in the thread.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 PM   #39
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Upgraded. Thank God the font hack still works. I don't notice much, if any, speed increase. The background is still the same grey. The fonts are not darker. It's hilarious to go to the Kindle Forums and read the messages about how their displays are better. The very best upgrade for Kindle owners will be next month -- buy an iPad with me!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #40
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
When the 2.3 update came along I installed it manually. This time I decided to just wait and see how long it'd take to automatically update if I left the wireless running. I've just noticed that the version number changed at some point in the last few hours. It changed to 2.3.2 however and not 2.3.3. Anyone else have this happen? I'm really unsure what to make of it.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 AM   #41
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeffrey View Post
Am I crazy or does the PDF margins handling rendering seem better?
I updated this weekend and I continued on reading a PDF and I noticed that there was hardly any left/right margins. It would be interesting if someone could do a comparison of 2.3 to 2.3.3. I would do it but unfortunately it's impossible to downgrade.
My PDF margins are still the same - Noticed no difference at all with pdf rendering.
No change at all from the previous version 2.3
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 AM   #42
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Upgraded. Thank God the font hack still works. I don't notice much, if any, speed increase. The background is still the same grey. The fonts are not darker. It's hilarious to go to the Kindle Forums and read the messages about how their displays are better. The very best upgrade for Kindle owners will be next month -- buy an iPad with me!
No iPad here, but I am expecting some interesting things in that area this year.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #43
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I just upgraded, mainly for the PDF support. Wow the PDF look nice. I initially modified the PDF to work with the SONY PRS-505 and that seems to work for the Kindle as well.

The only bad part was that the normal Kindle features like, search, book lookup is not working. I feel like I'm back to reading on my PRS-505 with PDF. But still I'm happy.

Apparently they don't reflow on the device you have to send the PDF to yourself. I wonder how that will work?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #44
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Problem with annotating since update - anyone else?

Since I've done the update, I get an odd glitch with highlighting and adding notes. It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes the note or highlight will appear in a different location to the one specified. On the same page, but a different part of the page to where I am actually adding it.

So for me I see no benefits to the update and just this annoying glitch.

Anyone else noticed this?

I have got the glitch to occur in different files as well so it isn't confined to just 1 book.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #45
alandr
alandr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Global
Since updating my Kindle to 2.3.3 I have noticed a bug. Whenever I switch it on from sleep mode, if I press the previous page button (to refresh my memory on what I recently read), it actually goes back about 10 pages. It is very annoying. Anybody else got this problem?
alandr is offline   Reply With Quote