Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur
saturngirl1701 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
Unable to connect to Sony eBook Store

I've had my PRS-500 for years, since it first came out and it performed nicely until about three or four months ago when Sony came out with a new firmware update. Immediately after installing, I was unable to connect to the store. Kept getting an error message saying that I needed to check my Internet connections (and there was a tiny -5 after the message). Spent HOURS and DAYS (I'm not kidding) with Sony Support which wasn't helpful at all; they tinkered with everything from my Norton to uninstalling and reinstalling . . . what a mess. In fact, the only resolution they finally came up with was that I should uninstall everything then reinstall with the original Sony disc and never upgrade again. That worked for exactly one try--long enough to purchase one book, but that's it.

I can access the book store from other computers in the house, just not my own. A tremendous pain--and here I was thinking of upgrading to the 505!

Any suggestions? I'm pissed.
saturngirl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturngirl1701 View Post
I've had my PRS-500 for years, since it first came out and it performed nicely until about three or four months ago when Sony came out with a new firmware update. Immediately after installing, I was unable to connect to the store.
I assume you mean they eBook Library software update... There has been no firmware update for the 500 recently.

That said, why not just go back to the previous version... if it worked for you?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
My first inclination would be to check your firewall settings, so as to allow Ebook Library to access the Sony store.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

No, actually there was a firmware update and then they came out with the new software. I uninstalled the old stuff and reinstalled with the new software; that didn't work. Then uninstalled the new software and reinstalled the old with the original disk and that didn't work either.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

As for the firewall settings, I already did that. I've even turned off my firewall and my antivirus protection to see if that would work, but it hasn't. The people at Sony suggested I uninstall my Norton (!) and go with different protection, but that seems rather extreme, especially if turning the thing off doesn't work either.
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Oh, and with the firmware, the support person at Sony apologized; it was supposed to be for the 505 only--though when I got the original notification asking if I'd like to update, it didn't SAY that!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturngirl1701 View Post
No, actually there was a firmware update and then they came out with the new software.
There was a firmware update for the 505, not for the 500.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The later posts in this thread may just be useful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...493#post300493
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There was a firmware update for the 505, not for the 500.

BOb
Yeah, I know. That's what messed me up to begin with because the notification to update didn't come with a warning that it was only intended for the 505. That's when all the problems started.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #10
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Since I've deleted everything, I can't even find the kinoma folder anymore and I'm not sure it was there even on the reload.

I balk at contacting Sony again . . . Their support is pretty pitiful.

Anyway, thank you.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:00 AM   #11
saturngirl1701
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Tried that. No go; I can't rename the folder (tells me access is denied; disk is protected).

Sigh. This is so frustrating.

Given that the store connection works (intermittently) on my husband's laptop, I'll probably use that to download books and transfer to my Reader. But I'm loathe to spend any money on a 505 (or trade in my older Reader) if I'm just going to have this problem again--and reading some of the threads, sounds like that might be the case.

It's enough to make you want to be a buy . . . a Kindle . . . .

Last edited by saturngirl1701; 12-04-2008 at 08:27 AM. Reason: adding more information