Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
andinthistown
andinthistown doesn't litterandinthistown doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Getting Rid Of Sponsored Screensavers (NO HACKS)

Hi all,

Managed to figure out a way to get the kindle sponsored screensavers off without any hacks. Funny enough the customer rep I talked too on the phone told me this when my screen initially broke and I got a replacement.

Hold the power switch for ~25 seconds with wireless off, and let go. Flick the switch again and it will do a screen test followed with a hard reset of the firmware. After that point all advertisements are completely disabled, I even turned Wireless back on and they remained disabled unless I went into the menu and viewed the offers.
andinthistown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by andinthistown View Post
Hi all,

Managed to figure out a way to get the kindle sponsored screensavers off without any hacks. Funny enough the customer rep I talked too on the phone told me this when my screen initially broke and I got a replacement.

Hold the power switch for ~25 seconds with wireless off, and let go. Flick the switch again and it will do a screen test followed with a hard reset of the firmware. After that point all advertisements are completely disabled, I even turned Wireless back on and they remained disabled unless I went into the menu and viewed the offers.
If you have a K4 you just Pay $30 and they will remove it for you.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

After the ads were disabled did you get the Dead Authors screensaver?

Were all your books still there after the reset?
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

[bump]
Has anyone else tried this?

Looks like the OP never came back.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I get the letters screensaver with a box near the bottom asking me to please connect wirelessly to download special offers and the same message at the bottom of the home page.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
jimh12345
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I get the letters screensaver with a box near the bottom asking me to please connect wirelessly to download special offers and the same message at the bottom of the home page.
So it all comes back the next time you enable wi-fi? Waste of time then.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Xeddicus
Xeddicus began at the beginning.

Device: none
He didn't say that, but even if it does come back some of us wont enable Wifi ever so it's a useful bit of info.
Xeddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
jpcapili
Enthusiast
jpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
If you have a K4 you just Pay $30 and they will remove it for you.
what would be the default screensavers once you pay?
jpcapili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcapili View Post
what would be the default screensavers once you pay?
There are pics of them here

I personally like the Ads one better as some of them are really cool looking. I like the idea of having new Screensavers every week.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
There are pics of them here

I personally like the Ads one better as some of them are really cool looking. I like the idea of having new Screensavers every week.
Some of the ads look nifty. There was a good for a while where the ad images were rather uninspiring, and really drab to look at. Some of the newer ones have been pretty cool.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
jpcapili
Enthusiast
jpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notesjpcapili can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
there's an adjustment for screensaver categories under managemykindle page. I wonder if has something to do with the screensavers that you will see once you pay. have you tried adjusting them?
jpcapili is offline   Reply With Quote