Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #16
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I did a quick browse - it appears that current releases/best sellers are following agency pricing models ($12.99 and up). Older releases appear discounted close to Amazon pricing.
And yes - some big gaps - for ex. no Martha Grimes - a number of Penguin titles I checked weren't there - more "negotiations"?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #17
EsperKnight
EsperKnight began at the beginning.

Device: DROID
I'm suprised they're just announcing it as I've been using there site for ebooks for a couple of weeks now. To answer some of the questions.

From what I've seen they sometimes list some of the formats and sometimes don't so be warned. And from what I've seen most times they have what Kobo has (I'm thinking there using Kobo's catalog).

The two formats I've seen are Adobe Digital EPUBs and also Adobe Digital PDFs. Usually they'll list the type it is but not always so be careful (from what I've seen, if they don't list the type, it's epub, but never know). So anything supporting the above you can use it on your device (or of course if you do something naughty

The really good thing I like about Borders is for most of the books you can use Border Bucks on them (unless otherwise stated) and earn Borders Bucks on them I believe (I could be wrong as I haven't bought any without using Borders Bucks so haven't earned any points towards them).

Also, be warned there software really sucks on the PC. You can't delete a book from it and the first book I got didn't load correctly and showed garbled (due to the encryption). Make sure you have Adobe Digital Editions installed before loading books into it as this is how I got them to show in the Borders app (although why use it now that you got Adobe's software? I dunno.) Mind you I haven't test PDFs so not sure, only ebooks.

And also, I haven't figured out a way to load any other types of ebooks in. Far as I know you can only load them through syncing the PC app with what you bought online. Although they do allow you to download it separately (this was how they told me to fix my issue above, to download it and somehow get it in. I didn't bother ask how to get it in as I was able to view it in Adobe Digital Editions. I couldn't figure out where they store them either.)

Hope this helps!

Last edited by EsperKnight; 07-07-2010 at 01:15 PM.
EsperKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
They are partnered with Kobo, yes. This is the Kobo ebookstore with the Borders logo slapped on top.
Not really - or not at least where I'm from. Prices are different between Borders and Kobo - in some cases by quite a bit. And I can buy from Kobo (with prices in US dollars) using my US credit card with a French billing address.

It's kind of too bad, too, since I'm a LONG time Borders customer. Usually stock up on books when I'm back in the US to visit. Was looking forward to being able to buy stuff from them again. Oh well, we'll see.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #19
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Thumbs down Why should I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevdeforges View Post
Hm, but a quick read-through of their "getting started" page seems to indicate that they are going by the billing address on the credit card you use for making purchases... This might be do-able.
Why should I bother? BitTorrent is easier. I buy and SmashWords or beam-ebooks. Shops who don't care where I live. Or I “donate” to the authors paypal account. No it is certainly not the money. I just not going jumps through loops to support companies with regional restrictions.

Martin.
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #20
tponzo
Addict
tponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't littertponzo doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 900(gave it to my sister); Sony PRS-T1; onyx book note air
Just got the email from Borders about this. I'll be checking it out. I like that you can use Borders Bucks (although they told me last week that not purchases would qualify). Geographic restrictions really suck though.
tponzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:52 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I don't know why these stores don't make Kindle compatible files... oh well... back to Amazon to buy some ebooks...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #22
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know why these stores don't make Kindle compatible files... oh well... back to Amazon to buy some ebooks...

BOb
Does Amazon allow anyone else to sell books with their DRM on it? (Obviously anyone can provide unencrypted .MOBI or PDF)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Does Amazon allow anyone else to sell books with their DRM on it? (Obviously anyone can provide unencrypted .MOBI or PDF)
Well... of course they need to see DRM free... then my Kindle would be happy.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #24
ForceMd
ForceMd is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad: (Thinks to himself; Kindle or Nook; Hmmm...)
What needs to happen, is that since DRM seems to be an inevitable fact, the big stores need to at least agree on a DRM standard across all devices. I cannot easily allow myself to invest in any books that are tied to a single piece of hardware. Imagine if the major movie studios each had their own DVD/Blu-Ray format that would only work on their particular movie titles?
ForceMd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #25
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceMd View Post
Imagine if the major movie studios each had their own DVD/Blu-Ray format that would only work on their particular movie titles?
They did for a while.
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/b...on-s-division/
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #26
ForceMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I know, I'm just glad that the consumer voted with their wallet and a single format prevailed. In fact, even in the early days of the 'format wars' it was a given that only a single HD standard could servive, it was simply a question of which one.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #27
ForceMd

I don't mind that every store has it's own prepriatary format if the idea is that I am renting the media ( or books in this case). Don't however sell me the idea that I am purchasing these items to own forever when my access to them depends on the survival of the seller.

That is why I can support services like netflicks but not iTunes. Ironically though when it comes to applications, I am ok with this, as apps are inherently dependent on the OS they were designed to run on.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #28
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The "download free sample of this ebook" doesn't seem to be a download; it's a flash-based viewer in the website. Some books don't have a preview.

Book sizes/length not listed--and I suspect some of the $.99 ebooks are short stories, not novels; they may be heading for complaints from customers who expect an "ebook" to be more than 5,000 words long. (Beauty Is, at Borders. Same book at publisher's website--mentioning that it's a short story of 2000 words.)

Ebooks come in 3 types: ePub, PDF, and "Mobile." Which maybe means "ePub that verifies through your mobile device instead of a desktop/laptop." No mention of DRM. (Why talk about DRM? You can read their books using their free software, on the devices they have listed. They're not offering books you can read on a device of your choice.)

The "million books" are free google editions; they're in PDF and ePub (uncorrected OCR text, often with asterisks instead of quotation marks).

The popups on mouse-hover over the books would give me a splitting headache if I spent any real time at the site.

Am I missing something, or does the listing for "Morning Star by Wilkie Collins" show a cover indicating it's by H. Rider Haggard?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #29
batgirl
Enthusiast
batgirl doesn't litterbatgirl doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook360
So do I have to download the Borders app in order to purchase books from Borders? I don't have to download any additional software (outside ADE) for Kobo's bookstore. I find the fact that I have to download software from each store in order to buy from it beyond annoying.
batgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #30
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does anyone know if tax is applied to the price you see at borders, or is the price listed the actual price you pay?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote