Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #16
afsandiego
Enthusiast
afsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enoughafsandiego will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600 and iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
Thanks for the initial impressions SolRaven.
I already bought the normal cover for the 600 and might just go for the mighty bright. Although the light cover does seem nice in that everything is nicely fitted....will look out for some more impressions here before making the final decision.

btw has anyone used mighty bright pocketflex? looks nice and portable..

I have this, I bought it at B&N... I think they are great.. bright lights and Im sure if you have the sony covers it will work much better.
afsandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Is the little roach clip easy to reposition? I probably change hands with every other page, so it would be in the way. Have you tried it over the top instead of at the side?

EDIT: Oops! Explanation required: I always read in landscape mode, so for me, the pic would be where my hand is. What I should have asked is does the clip fit well onto the side nearest the spine of the cover?
I would clip well to the Reader itself, it opens nice and wide, so I see no reason why you wouldn't get away with that
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #18
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I would clip well to the Reader itself, it opens nice and wide, so I see no reason why you wouldn't get away with that
OK, THANKS!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:23 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've got the 300 light cover and I actually like it. The photos someone showed or NOT accurate as photos tend to not show direct light very well. I don't have a spot on my screen, at least when I adjust it correctly. (If used a MightyBright light in the same fashion as the photo of the cover light, and the photo was poorly taken as that one was, it would show a spot too.) And it is very easy to adjust and very easy to fold up out of the way. I also have a MightyBright I bought for my Kindle2, it is different from the one shown in this thread, but similar. The problem is that the clip is really way to big for the 300 or the 600. I think the MightyBright is a lot brighter, but it uses 3 AAA batteries in parallel. The 300 light cover uses only one AAA battery. I was initially disappointed when I turned it on in daylight conditions. However, I have used it for several hours at night in a darkened room as well as outside at night and it does a more than adequate job, even on low light settng. But different strokes for differnent folks, as they say. What works well for me might not work for someone else. But as far as I'm concerned the MightBright is overkill and bulky, but the light cover is compact and very useful.

Someone was trying to compare it to that garbage Sony sold for the 505. There is no way to compare the two as the 505 used a sidelit transluscent plastic shield that made everything fuzzy. The 300 and 600 light covers are more like a larger cover with a built in LED overhead light similar to the MightyBrights. The light cover for the 300 is not too big, for me anyway, but I could see how the extra width on a 600 might bother some people.

BTW: The Best Buy in south Arlington, TX has both light covers (for the 300 and 600).

Last edited by jswinden; 09-23-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #20
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really wasn't impressed with the 505 version of it at all. The light was very uneven, and the battery life very short.
Oh, I love the light on my 505. Not it's not perfectly even but perfectly illuminated in my book. The battery life didn't last long, but neither does the battery life on my 700 when I use the light. As of now, that's just part of using any type of light. That being said, I bought lithium batteries for my 505 light wedge and haven't replaced them since May.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #21
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My light cover is packed and waiting for UPS to pick it up tomorrow. In the meantime, I went to Borders and bought the standard cover for the the 600.

Doug, I have that exact same clip. For some reason, I never took to it, but because the clip is nice and flat, plus light weight, it does go nicely with the reader. I also have the MightBright Flex 2 which is a fantastic light, but it's too heavy and bulky to use with the reader which is why I tried to find the the MightyBright TravelFlex and PocketFlex. I only found the Flex2 at Border's and B&N today, so I ordered them online. I figured they're cheap enough to buy both and I'm sure I'll use them for the reader or reg. books.

In the meantime, I took some more, albeit not the best, pictures to see the difference that a decent light makes. Although the first pic isn't clear, what you can see is that the $10 clip light actually illuminates the page, which the $60 Sony light did not.

Sorry, I had to get a gorgeous kitty shot in there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3800.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	36340

Name:	DSCN3801.JPG
Views:	547
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	36341

Name:	DSCN3811.JPG
Views:	545
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	36342
Old 09-23-2009, 08:46 PM   #22
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I've got the 300 light cover and I actually like it. The photos someone showed or NOT accurate as photos tend to not show direct light very well. I don't have a spot on my screen, at least when I adjust it correctly. (If used a MightyBright light in the same fashion as the photo of the cover light, and the photo was poorly taken as that one was, it would show a spot too.)
Hey jswinden, feel free to post your own wonderful photos before you criticize someone else's efforts to share, as best they know how, their experience. Too often people give their opinions without posting any kind of photos to show what they're talking about. Since that frustrates me too, and I knew I was packing the light up and sending it back, I took photos, as best I could, to at least give everyone an idea of what I was talking about. In my follow up photos, I did the same. Sorry if my photos don't meet your high standards, but since all you've done is talk and not attempt to post any photos of your own, I'll take your opinion as nothing but hot air.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #23
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Thanks everyone for your responses. And thanks a bunch forthe pictures. It sounds like I will have to just check it out to see the brightness.

I have many clip on lights, but I want something I can easily stick in my purse, backpack, or whatever and not have to worry about bringing a separate light along. I really like the M-edge design, but I am getting frustrated waiting for them to come through with the Sony lights.
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:28 AM   #24
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
btw has anyone used mighty bright pocketflex? looks nice and portable..

Lev, I ended up buying both the pocketflex and travelflex by mightybright. Although I like the look of the pocketflex better, the travel flex has a tighter clip and more even light distribution. To me it feels like the travelflex will also last longer since the clip and lamp feel more sturdy.

I figured they were cheap enough and it's always good to have spare reading lights for my books as well. Plus, if you spend $25 on the MightyBright website shipping was free, so it made more financial sense as well.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #25
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Lev, I ended up buying both the pocketflex and travelflex by mightybright. Although I like the look of the pocketflex better, the travel flex has a tighter clip and more even light distribution. To me it feels like the travelflex will also last longer since the clip and lamp feel more sturdy.

I figured they were cheap enough and it's always good to have spare reading lights for my books as well. Plus, if you spend $25 on the MightyBright website shipping was free, so it made more financial sense as well.
Thanks for the tips SolRaven.
I actually found an old book light given to me a while back. so far I quite like it and its pretty portable. however the clip is a bit tight. will try it for a while to see if it will leave a mark on the leather (still waiting for my cover to arrive!!). Otherwise I will definitely go for the travelflex.

here's a picture of the one I'm using. sorry its in japanese as it was given to me when i was there...it's quite portable as it folds nicely and very flexible to adjust. two LED lights light up the screen very nice and evenly.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/イデアインターナショナル...4133308&sr=1-3

lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #26
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Is the little roach clip easy to reposition? I probably change hands with every other page, so it would be in the way. Have you tried it over the top instead of at the side?

EDIT: Oops! Explanation required: I always read in landscape mode, so for me, the pic would be where my hand is. What I should have asked is does the clip fit well onto the side nearest the spine of the cover?
DixieGal I always read in landscape mode and I'd prob. say the TravelFlex would be your best bet. The clip is really strong, it's slim and it has the most even lighting. Plus, because of the way it's shaped, I think it's even more comfortable on the side where your hand is because the light & reader are essentially resting on the top of your hand so you can relax your grip on the reader.

Here are some pix just taken. Sorry they're so dark and gloomy. I took them near a north window while it was thundering and pouring rain. Since it's South Florida, I should've waited 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3822.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	36641   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3821.JPG
Views:	444
ID:	36642   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3820.JPG
Views:	430
ID:	36643   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3818.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	717.6 KB
ID:	36644   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3817.JPG
Views:	409
ID:	36645  

Last edited by SolRaven; 09-28-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #27
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmad88 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses. And thanks a bunch forthe pictures. It sounds like I will have to just check it out to see the brightness.

I have many clip on lights, but I want something I can easily stick in my purse, backpack, or whatever and not have to worry about bringing a separate light along. I really like the M-edge design, but I am getting frustrated waiting for them to come through with the Sony lights.
Sahmad, I have the m-edge 505 cover on my 600. I borrowed my husband's eLuminator (m-edge) light to try with the 505 cover. Although it's not perfect it does work. Just sticks out the bottom a little (maybe 1/2"?) when folded down. Depending on what else is in there, it could be fine in a backpack or purse.

SolRaven, thank you for the kitty pics!! Beautiful cat. Love the yellow eyes matching yellow flowers!!

Fi
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #28
Hawke
Hawke began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
I have just got a Really Tiny Book Light ( http://www.craftlamps.co.uk/acatalog...FUYA4wodAEaf1w ) when attached to the sony cover it works really well and cost £7.00.
Hawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #29
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
SolRaven, thank you for the kitty pics!! Beautiful cat. Love the yellow eyes matching yellow flowers!!
You're welcome! I thought that was odd how much her eyes matched the flowers on the table as well. The photo look posed but she really wanted to be in EVERY shot and I kept having to push her to the other side of the table. Finally I just let her in. LOL.... same with her so near on the shots today. That kitty sure isn't camera shy!
Old 09-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #30
SolRaven
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawke View Post
I have just got a Really Tiny Book Light ( http://www.craftlamps.co.uk/acatalog...FUYA4wodAEaf1w ) when attached to the sony cover it works really well and cost £7.00.
Ooo... those are cute! Wouldn't I like to add those to my little collection of book lights. They're so pretty!