Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #61
Wordeater
Connoisseur
Wordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchforkWordeater can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
This warranty thing is something that does not stop to amaze me. Perfectly fine things are returned and people get a full refund. Or they fuck it up and hold the company liable for their fault. German law does not honor when someone wants to return something they have already used because they don't like it. They are grown up, are allowed to do business and are meant to make up their minds before they purchase something.

Whenever I read Americans return things they already used or worse fucked up themselves and brag about it I am baffled. Someone will have to pay for the waste and it is the community of buyers via higher prices that pays for them.
Totally agree!
Some places now won't sell Christmas lights. (for example) The reason?
People ACTUALLY buy them and use them over the Christmas season, take them down, and RETURN them! I've heard of people buying BBQs and returning them after using them, never mind people buying clothes and returning them after actually wearing them to an event.
To me it just shows how low a level society is heading toward. Good on the Germans! Good to hear someone has it together, but I'll guess they are not alone in their policy. Most 'forward' thinking nations undoubtedly have similar return policies.

With regard to the current topic....I would only consider a NOOK or Kindle if your budget would absolutely NOT allow getting a Sony. IMO, weight and battery life steered me away from the basic NOOK. I was all over the K3 until I got one in my hands. Absolutely had NO interest in even looking at the Sonys until I had decided against the other two.....then I realized how nearsighted I'd been initially. I would never recommend anything else. I have absolutely NO regrets with what I decided upon. If I was going to buy a 2nd reader it would be a PRS-350, hands down. But I ask myself,why would I need a 2nd one?
I bet I spend 99.9% of my time reading, and the rest buying books. I only think one might only miss having WiFi if you went from having it to going without, but I have NOT ever once thought WiFi would be something I'd want on my 650. Not once.

WE
Wordeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #62
kelliedn
Enthusiast
kelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with otherskelliedn plays well with others

Device: Sony Touch Reader PRS-650
I have a classic Nook wi-fi, and the prs-650

LOVE my PRS 650. Response time is great, love the easy on your eyes reading. VERY nice. I don't love the Nook. Response time is slow, the online access is a pain and it isn't as easy on the eyes as the 650. I still use it on occassion when I don't want to take my 650 out, but I love the 650, and don't miss wi-fi on it at all.
kelliedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #63
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post

The Nook Classic touch screen is distractive, not so responsive and the main reason for the poor battery life. .

Regarding the responsiveness of the touch screen, on the bus just this morning I was sitting near someone reading a nook, and noticed how many times she "swiped" the screen before the page actually changed!
It took her at least a second swipe, and usually at least 2 more after that!

Personally, I like the page buttons on my Kindle. Guess I'm really low-tech!
I am also looking for an ereader for library books, and had it narrowed down between the Sony 350 and the Nook. This thread is great!! What perfect timing! Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #64
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
Regarding the responsiveness of the touch screen, on the bus just this morning I was sitting near someone reading a nook, and noticed how many times she "swiped" the screen before the page actually changed!

I am also looking for an ereader for library books, and had it narrowed down between the Sony 350 and the Nook. This thread is great!! What perfect timing! Thanks everyone for your thoughts!
When I tested a Nook in B&N recently I noticed the touch was a little slow too. Let us know which one you decide on.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #65
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:

Was that a nook classic or nook color? The nook classic has page buttons which work fine. I like my wife's nook classic but the responsiveness of the color touch screen is abysmal. Quite disappointing.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #66
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Was that a nook classic or nook color? The nook classic has page buttons which work fine. I like my wife's nook classic but the responsiveness of the color touch screen is abysmal. Quite disappointing.
With the NOOKcolor you don't have to swype. Probably was the classic.

I haven't seen any other reference to unresponsive page turns on the color. All you do is tap the screen once and the page turns. If you're using the stock reader app there shouldn't be any lag.

Abysmal is a strong descriptor. Perhaps you should have returned it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #67
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

I haven't seen any other reference to unresponsive page turns on the color. All you do is tap the screen once and the page turns. If you're using the stock reader app there shouldn't be any lag.

I agree, mine actually both eink and color are quite responsive.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #68
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

It may be strong, but it is appropriate. The responsiveness of the nook classic's color screen is terrible. But then again I'm comparing it to my iPod Touch and iPad.

I didn't return the nook classic because its color screen is not defective, it is working as designed.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #69
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
It may be strong, but it is appropriate. The responsiveness of the nook classic's color screen is terrible. But then again I'm comparing it to my iPod Touch and iPad.

I didn't return the nook classic because its color screen is not defective, it is working as designed.
I apologize, I believe I misread your original post. You're referring to the NOOK's LCD screen, not the NOOKcolor. Please disregard my comment.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #70
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Quote:
You know, I think I'm a little confused. I thought the Nook classic used page swipes too, but the person at B&N, when he was demoing it for me, said the classic does not have page swipes, just the color.
So, it must have been a color Nook that the woman on the bus was swiping several times to turn a page.

I was surprised how much I liked the Nook. It felt good in my hands, and pretty intuitive. I actually prefer buttons to turn the page (I love my Kindle). I finally was able to actually get a Sony 350 in my hands today, and it just didn't appeal to me - I didn't like the touch screen or the small size. Of course, it was in Borders and no one offers any assistance in that place, so I was on my own, and confused. (To be fair, they probably really don't care about customer service at this point...
May be due to me being an, ahem, older lady, but I think in the long run I will be happier with the Nook.
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM   #71
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
You know, I think I'm a little confused. I thought the Nook classic used page swipes too, but the person at B&N, when he was demoing it for me, said the classic does not have page swipes, just the color.
So, it must have been a color Nook that the woman on the bus was swiping several times to turn a page.

I was surprised how much I liked the Nook. It felt good in my hands, and pretty intuitive. I actually prefer buttons to turn the page (I love my Kindle). I finally was able to actually get a Sony 350 in my hands today, and it just didn't appeal to me - I didn't like the touch screen or the small size. Of course, it was in Borders and no one offers any assistance in that place, so I was on my own, and confused. (To be fair, they probably really don't care about customer service at this point...
May be due to me being an, ahem, older lady, but I think in the long run I will be happier with the Nook.
The person at B&N needs to be retrained. The classic nook has both buttons (as you know) and swiping ability. The trick with swiping is that you have to wait until the touchscreen has gone black for it to read input as a swipe. Plus it doesn't work all that well, hence the woman's trouble on the bus. Other than the sometimes faulty swiping, it's a nice little machine.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #72
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
The person at B&N needs to be retrained. The classic nook has both buttons (as you know) and swiping ability. The trick with swiping is that you have to wait until the touchscreen has gone black for it to read input as a swipe. Plus it doesn't work all that well, hence the woman's trouble on the bus. Other than the sometimes faulty swiping, it's a nice little machine.
the page swiping actually works fantistic but it does require a bit of a learning curve, that I'll admit. But once you get it down ( a nice slight gentle graze across the dark screen) it's wonderful and give a very natural flow when reading.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #73
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I tried the swiping on the classic nook as well. I may pick up a refurb after trying that. Works very well. It took me as second to figure out. Holding the case I quickly and lightly fling my thumb out over the screen.. works awesome. I also like the classic nooks cream color background instead of the pearls whitish grey.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #74
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Update: So I finally got the money from my tax returns and am ready to buy an ereader. I was hoping to get the Sony 650 but Sony is out the 650s. I'm not paying $300 for the 950 (it's nice but not that nice) and I think the screen on the 350 is just too small for me. I admit though that the couple of times I played with the 350 in Borders, it worked really well. It was very fast and was very responsive and intuitive. I bid on a used Sony 650 on ebay. The auction still has two days left. I'm feeling hesitant though. I mean what if the item actually has some type of defect even though the seller says it is in good condition?

I know the refurbished Nooks are selling for a low price $89. That's a good price. I talked to my mother who thinks I should just get a new Nook. I've read that manufacturer refurbished still work like new but I dunno. I think I still have reservations about the getting a refurbished item as well.

Maybe I just have reservations about used electronics because I brought a used portable DVD that only works after hitting it and shifting it numerous times. Even then, it only works when it wants to. I wished I had just spent the extra money on a new one.

So anyway, I think I will go to B&N and Best Buy and try out both the Sonys and the Nook and see which one tickles my fancy and makes me feel good about buying it.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #75
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The refurbs work just like the original items. Most refurbs are items that someone buys and tries and returns because they just don't like it or have second thoughts. Refurbs get a vigirous quality check before being sold again.

At least, I know this to be true for the Kindles and I am assuming this to be true for the Nooks. I would guess that the refurb Nook would come with the full warrenty.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook, sony, wi-fi