Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle PW4
Updating PW3 firmware to 5.9.5.1 - correct procedure?

I would like to update the firmware on my jailbroken PW3 from 5.9.4 (3278740046) to 5.9.5.1. Every time I have updated the firmware previously, I have had a right old time trying to get the screensavers hack working again. Should the procedure simply be as follows:

- install fw update
- install mrpi
- run the command ';log mrpi' in the search bar
- copy over Update_KUALBooklet_v*_install.bin to get KUAL back
- reinstall Python & the screensavers package by downloading the latest snapshots and copying than to the Packages folder

Thanks
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Although I can't vouch for the "safety" of this specific update in and of itself (still running 5.8.1 over here), yeah, that's the right order to do things (assuming the JB/bridge situation is golden beforehand).

A minor nitpick: you don't need to reinstall MRPI (unless you want to update it), it lives entirely in the userstore, it won't be affected by an update. (And the package folder is named "mrpackages", just to be exact for people landing on this via a search ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #3
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle PW4
Thank you. I'm planning on using the snapshots here - just to confirm, does the screensaver package include the updated kfxmeta so I won't have to manually copy it over?
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yes it does, both the fix to the script itself for newer KFX files, and to the cover processing itself to handle Calibre-generated KFX files.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I used to have issues getting the screensaver hack working again but I've kinda figured it out.

Jailbroken Kindle Upgrade Instructions

1. Copy system upgrade file to main directory of Kindle.
2. Disconnect Kindle from computer.
3. Go to the main menu, settings, device options, update your kindle.
4. After the update/restart plug the kindle back into the computer
5. Copy Screensaver and Python update files into the mrpackages folder and eject kindle
6. Open Kindle Launcher
7. Then select Helper, then Install MR Packages
8. If it is still not working, open a different book and let it make that cover, then go back to the book I'm reading.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert