Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #1
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: KT, PW2, KO2
Old jailbroken KT - how to reset to factory?

Hi wizards,

I have a very old Kindle Touch that I did some software jailbreak on and Screensaver hack.

I don't remember anymore what I did.

It still works fine but now I'd like to reset to factory and have the latest OS on it.

Is there any simple way that I have missed? Should I use Kubrick?

I don't know how to program, so my technical capabilities are limited.
Or do I have to investigate and find out what exactly I did?

Thanks in advance!
JFHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You don't need to factory reset just to get the EOL K5 update.

(The 'custom stuff may prevent updates' rule stopped applying a looong time ago. Never did for the K5).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:07 AM   #3
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Oh that's great to know. I had missed that. Will just update manually and hope nothing's gonna break :-)

Thank you!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHey View Post
Oh that's great to know. I had missed that. Will just update manually and hope nothing's gonna break :-)

Thank you!
Remember that a firmware update will break your screensaver hack, so you will need to reinstall it afterwards. You might also want to consider updating your jailbreak code to the latest version before the firmware update, as some older versions might not survive a firmware update intact.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, that's solid advice in general.

In this specific case, I'm fairly sure the final Touch FW is still jailbreakable, so even if all hell breaks loose, you have a (quick) way out. (The Touch will always stay in our heart for being pretty much really, really hard to kill. Kubrick is the cherry on top of an already sweet cake ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:46 AM   #6
JFHey
Enthusiast

Thank you!
I was mainly concerned about not bricking it, don't need to jailbreak it again, but that's reassuring :-)

The girlfriend is inheriting my PW2 after upgrading to KO2, and I want to KT as an "always with me" Kindle for the spontaneous reading session :-)