Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
Shaitan00
Shaitan00 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question First eBook reader since the death of my Palm Pilot (what can compare?)

For the last 6 years I've been using a Palm Pilot for all my eBook reading and honestly never complained (suprised?), it suited all my needs at the time and served me well, but a few months ago it died - now I have drummed up the courage to purchase a new eBook reader and am having a pretty hard time choosing...

First, the Palm had a few things I loved that I can't seem to find anywhere
- AC recharger, I found this very useful when the battery dies at the bus stop, but all I see now is USB recharing (which sucks)
- Ability to show all my PDF books (I will be honest, 99% of my eBooks are torrent downloaded PDFs - as long as I can read them I am happy)
- Some other usual formats like LIT, TXT, HTML (rarely), and DOC would be great (the more the merrier - converting sucks but is always an option)
- Ability to read in my bed with the lights off (backlight), but I assume this is horrible for my eyes and I should stop (but I love it so)
- Portability as I read 99% of the time on the bus/metro and when time permits, rarely in a lounging comfortable environment

I don't really care much about the rest, Wireless is useless (I do not mind PC-connection), touchscreen seems overkill, expandable memory as well, etc... I just want to be able to read all the eBooks I want (legit or not) as I did before (or as close to).

Sadly, from what I have been reading, there really isn't anything that fits my "hopes" ... now I am looking at compromising as little as possible.
What do you guys think?

I would like to get away with spending under $200 as I just want a simple eBook reader...

Any advice would be much appreciated...
Thanks,
Shaitan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Almost sounds as though you might be best off with upgrading your mobile phone, instead? Seriously. Just check that it reads PDF first, or that you can install something like Stanza?

Depending on your tastes, you might find FeedBooks.com worth a look, btw.
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Shaitan00

True - not a bad suggestion ... still I usually like to keep my phone and reader seperated and Smart Phones have really small screens (at least those I have seen) - I mean I would consider an HTC Legend or iPhone (I am with Bell) but can you imagine reading a book on those?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I recently made the switch from PalmOS (Tapwave Zodiac, an amazing device for its time and a nice ergonomic ebook reader) to an Android phone (Droid Incredible), and so far it's working out OK. New Android devices, some with even larger screens and better specs than mine, are coming out constantly. Your .pdf requirement is likely to be problematic unless you buy a very large-screen device though - .pdf's probably won't look much better on a phone than on your Palm. From posts I've seen around here, I gather they don't even look good on most e-ink readers.

PS. The Dinc has a 3.7" WVGA screen; I don't think you would find it more restrictive than that of your Palm.

Last edited by wayrad; 06-23-2010 at 06:49 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
Shaitan00

If it can render PDFs as good as my Palm could then I could be more then happy, never had any issues with my Palm or had to do any side-scrolling or anything ... everything just worked when I imported it into the Adobe Palm Reader software (coverts it and stuff automatically) and then tada.

So if I can keep status quo I wouldn't complain...
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Maybe an iPod Touch? I went from a Palm to a Touch and it's a pretty similar (but better, imho) experience. Plus, if you were using your Palm for calendar and other PDA stuff, you can continue to do that.

You can also buy an AC charger for iPods for really cheap on eBay.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hang around here a bit and (for a variety of reasons) you'll probably start wanting to replace those .pdf's anyway. By the way, welcome!

maxbookworm: I almost got an iPod Touch myself!

Last edited by wayrad; 06-23-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I didn't know that it was possible to read on a Palm Pilot. Didn't it have about 2k of RAM?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
wayrad
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I didn't know that it was possible to read on a Palm Pilot. Didn't it have about 2k of RAM?
In the US at least, the term is often used to refer to any Palm device (up to the Treo maybe), especially by or when talking to people who might be unfamiliar with them.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #10
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
I actually used to read quite a bit on my Palm V. It was definitely a small screen, but I had no problem fitting several full length novels on there.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
In the US at least, the term is often used to refer to any Palm device (up to the Treo maybe), especially by or when talking to people who might be unfamiliar with them.
OK, thanks. That's not the case in the UK - Palm were forced to drop the "Pilot" name when Pilot pens sued them for trademark violation and won. That was many years ago. I've read on later Palm devices myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #12
wayrad
Fanatic

They had to sstop using it here too, but the term lingers - I've even been known to tell people on the phone that I needed to write something in my "Palm Pilot", rather than say "Zodiac" or "PDA" and have them go "Hunh?"
Old 06-23-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I'll second that iPod touch is probably what OP is looking for. A good update, and since he's used to such a small screen, the backlighting, etc, it shouldn't be much trouble.

All the Sonys allow for AC charging, and support PDFs. 300 is lousy at it, but no worse than a palm ___! lol
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
wayrad
Fanatic

How do you get .pdf's onto an iPod Touch, though? When I was looking at them, I wasn't thinking about pdf, but it looked like transferring my own books was going to be a complicated business with the Calibre server and a wifi router. Doable, but certainly not as simple as plugging in a cable.

Last edited by wayrad; 06-23-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
How do you get .pdf's onto an iPod Touch, though?
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pdf-r...300298606?mt=8

For ebooks non-pdf, stanza.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote