Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
lolivierlol
lolivierlol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox - Firmware 1.4beta20100528
Scientific article on Bebook Neo

I have a lot of scientific publications in PDF format with charts, graphics and formulas on two columns.
I don't want to convert them in another format and I would like to know if it is possible to have a confortable view on Bebook Neo.

Who can send some pictures or talk about his own experience on Neo ??

Thanks.

An exemple of article I would like to see on Bebook Neo :

http://etrij.etri.re.kr/Cyber/Downlo...r2010.0195.pdf
lolivierlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
lolivierlol

It seems that NEO is not a good reader for complex PDF because nobody answer !!

Hum, strange ?!

Advert
Old 05-15-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
If you wish, I could try it next week if the Boox comes around. The hardware is the same, the firmware isn't (but it's practically the same, if I understood it right).
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
lolivierlol

Ok,
If you can post some pictures for all.
I will appreciate.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Delta Tango
Groupie
Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox
Ok, here it is.
As far as I can tell it looks exactly like in Adobe Reader on my Win XP PC as long as you don't mess with fonts and reflowing. You can zoom in and out, and drag the screen around to get to your desired part, but changing the font size messes up everything and you lose the pictures and the graphs.

With original formating you get this:

Please keep in mind that blurring and low resolution comes from my camera, not from Boox. Everything is crystal clear on the display.
Sorry for landscape orientation.

Hope it helps.
Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolivierlol View Post
It seems that NEO is not a good reader for complex PDF because nobody answer !!

Hum, strange ?!

As far as 6" units go, Neo/Boox should be one of the best readers out there.
It has an advanced zoom feature.
Meaning: It doesn't reflow PDFs, which "kills" your layout thus eliminating formulas, graphs and other details like that.
Instead of that, you can zoom by width, by height and other pred-defined set. Or you mark the area of interest with your stylus and explode to full screen.
The latter only is possible on few other units: iRex iLiad, iRex 1000S (iRex 800 with the upcoming firmware update). To some extent, it can be done on Sony's touchscreen units (Sony 600, 700, 900) as well, but only applies for the respective page, not the entire document.

As good as Neo is, in general you can say: The bigger, the better (for complex PDFs). Meaning: 6", in my opinion and experience, is the lower limit for complex PDFs. Personally, I'd recommend >>8".
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 AM   #7
lolivierlol

Very good demonstration.

Its just what I want, I have order an Onyx Boox.

wifi was one of my priority and this 6'' give it. This kind of zoom is perfect for this type. I know that 8'' will be more confortable but the price is expensive for the moment.

And 6'' is perfect for nomade usage
Thanks.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolivierlol View Post
Very good demonstration.

Its just what I want, I have order an Onyx Boox.

wifi was one of my priority and this 6'' give it. This kind of zoom is perfect for this type. I know that 8'' will be more confortable but the price is expensive for the moment.

And 6'' is perfect for nomade usage
Thanks.
Wifi works like a charm, you can also download books/texts directly on the device. I'm looking at your pdf and it's really paperlike, scrolling (with the pen) works really well and fast (you can also choose to select a part of the page to zoom it- handy when the text is a bit larger than in this text but the graphs need more attention). The cover (since you mention nomade usage) is ok for me, not the best but still pretty good.
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote