Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Holy Giant Book Batman!

So I get a Sony email today saying Frommer's and Zagat guides are now available. And since I'm going to the Bahamas on Sunday, I'm thinking, hrmm, maybe I'll get one. They didn't have Frommer's, but they did have The Rough Guide to the Bahamas for $14.69. I'm cool with the price. Then I see the file size:
18.88 MB

Has anyone bought one of these before? I'm wondering why the file is so darn big, and if it makes the book run slowly.

FYI I normally would rather have one of my small map guides, but as I'm going to be sitting on my butt most of the time, I thought this was a good option.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The size is probably due to pictures.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Good thing Sony readers have memory card slots
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
If you can get lonely planet, i highly recommend them. Its what i used when i spent a year backpackin europe and egypt. I would of missed soo much if I hadnt had it. I even lost it in spain and had my father send me another copy to seville so that I wouldnt be without it.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
So I get a Sony email today saying Frommer's and Zagat guides are now available. And since I'm going to the Bahamas on Sunday, I'm thinking, hrmm, maybe I'll get one. They didn't have Frommer's, but they did have The Rough Guide to the Bahamas for $14.69. I'm cool with the price. Then I see the file size:
18.88 MB

Has anyone bought one of these before? I'm wondering why the file is so darn big, and if it makes the book run slowly.

FYI I normally would rather have one of my small map guides, but as I'm going to be sitting on my butt most of the time, I thought this was a good option.
The size is undoubtedly due to pictures. Several of the books I've posted here are of a similar size.

It doesn't make any different to the "speed" of page turns, or anything like that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 04:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
If you can get lonely planet, i highly recommend them. Its what i used when i spent a year backpackin europe and egypt. I would of missed soo much if I hadnt had it. I even lost it in spain and had my father send me another copy to seville so that I wouldnt be without it.
Yes, the "Lonely Planet" series of guidebooks are my personal favourite, too. Over the years I've bought the versions for virtually all of Europe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The size is undoubtedly due to pictures. Several of the books I've posted here are of a similar size.

It doesn't make any different to the "speed" of page turns, or anything like that.
That's what I needed to know
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Lonely Planet

Yes I have to agree, lonely planet is awesome. When I was in Europe I was even able to find english verisions of it for sale at book stores when I was in non-english speaking countries.

Though I have to say there is some personal preference in guide books. I had a friend who swore by her Fordors, but I did not like the set up of it I found it harder to find the info that I wanted.

Lonely Planet is also targeted at the budget traveler, I had several people who did not "plan on traveling on bugdet" tell me that they were getting a different travel guide, yeah must be nice to travel and not worry about money!

File size is most likely due to the pictures and search capacity?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote