Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Best way of converting

I currently have a prc file which I am attemting to convert to LRF.

In itself, this is a straight forward process using Calibre however, I wanted to format the book a little first.

The first thing I tried to do was convert to LIT and then using LITGui convert to HTML however, this left me with hundreds of files - usually, I copy and paste these into a word document however, for some reason this isn't working (I can copy and paste but the formating - Bold, Italic etc is lost).

Next, I tried to convert to RTF however in this instance, a lot of the punctuation was replaced by question marks. making it a near impossible task of correcting.

So, I am at my wits end. How can I get a decent conversion so that I can edit the file before converting to the final file type?

Many thanks,
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Is it a LIT or a PRC? In the first line you say PRC, but later say LIT. It sounds like a LIT (the multiple files), if so usually the multi-html LITs have a separate document per chapter so what I usually do is pull up the chapter I want to edit and fix/change the HTML. If it's a global change across the entire book I open all the files in Notepad++ and do a global find/change across all the files at once. Then you can either make a PRC using Mobi Creator or use Readerworks to reassemble the LIT (or use HTML2LRF in Calibre).

If it's a PRC you could use mobi2oeb on it and you should get a big combined HTML file I think.

Is it a ton of editing? If it's not to much and you can spell out the changes I'd be willing to help via email (PM me if you want my email).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Is it a LIT or a PRC? In the first line you say PRC, but later say LIT. It sounds like a LIT (the multiple files), if so usually the multi-html LITs have a separate document per chapter so what I usually do is pull up the chapter I want to edit and fix/change the HTML. If it's a global change across the entire book I open all the files in Notepad++ and do a global find/change across all the files at once. Then you can either make a PRC using Mobi Creator or use Readerworks to reassemble the LIT (or use HTML2LRF in Calibre).

Is it a ton of editing? If it's not to much and you can spell out the changes I'd be willing to help via email (PM me if you want my email).
I think he stated that the source was prc that he tried to convert first to lit and from there try to extract HTML.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Hi,

Yes the original source is PRC which I tried to convert to LIT (and various other methods).

I will give mobi2oeb a try and see if that helps me achieve what I am after.

Thank you
Old 09-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #5
PieOPah
Addict

Looks like Mobi2oeb isn't working for me -

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "reader.py", line 18, in <module>
File "calibre\__init__.pyo", line 16, in <module>
File "calibre\startup.pyo", line 19, in <module>
File "calibre\constants.pyo", line 70, in <module>
File "calibre\constants.pyo", line 54, in load_plugins
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'extensions_location'
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
What you could try is loading the mobi book in calibre, then convert to epub using the GUI. Since you want to fiddle with the book, getting a single large HTML file might be convenient. To obtain this, click the convert ebooks button with the book selected, go to the 'epub output' option, check the 'do not split on page breaks' box and set the 'split files larger than' to a large value (say, 9000 KB). Let Calibre convert it. Find the converted file in explorer and rename .epub to .zip, then open with whatever archive software you use and extract the large HTML file (and possibly the css file), ignoring all the other files. Remove the book from Calibre's library and so on as its useless and edit the HTML to your heart's content.

I recommend running it through HTML tidy and if you are comfortable using python, Ahi's pacify.py before you do any of your own editing.

Last edited by acidzebra; 09-18-2009 at 11:08 AM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is also mobi2html (part of Mobi Perl), maybe that would work for you.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There is also mobi2html (part of Mobi Perl), maybe that would work for you.
Thank you for your suggestions. mobi2html has worked perfectly for me.

I have been able to edit the output so it is exactly the way I want it. All the formatting has been retained and I will be converting to my final LRF format shortly.

Certainly much simpler than converting to LIT and manually stitching all of the individual chapters together with copy & paste (over 100 files!)
Old 09-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. mobi2html has worked perfectly for me.

I have been able to edit the output so it is exactly the way I want it. All the formatting has been retained and I will be converting to my final LRF format shortly.

Certainly much simpler than converting to LIT and manually stitching all of the individual chapters together with copy & paste (over 100 files!)
Glad it worked for you.