Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #46
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Incidentally, John Scalzi's new book _Redshirts_ is out today. The ebook was supposed to be released DRM-free, but apparently the actual e-tailers have not all implemented this correctly. So Scalzi referred his blog readers to Apprentice Alf...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #47
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
People keep saying that, but if you go to Amazon and search for Baen in the Kindle store, you find over a hundred titles. They may not have everything in Amazon, but they do have books there. Really.
Do they have ebooks at Amazon? A quick look doesn't turn up any ebooks published by Baen at Amazon.

There are a few titles--Vorkosigan books released by Bujold (under Amazon Digital Services)--but I couldn't find any Kindle books that listed Baen as the publisher.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #48
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I'm guessing her rights reverted on the older ones, or she got them back, or Baen only had ebook rights to the omnibuses (Young Miles etc.) as I believe she self-published those versions available through the Kindle store.
IIRC Baen buys 'non-exclusive' worldwide rights to ebooks (or at least they used to) meaning an author is free to publish them on Amazon themselves.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #49
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Much as I respect Mr Stross's views, I strongly disagree with him about that. I don't think the typical punter is even aware of DRM. They buy from Amazon because of their great bookstore and customer service.
Stross actually said something similar--that there is not much to be gained in removing DRM from bestsellers as they are generally read once by non-readers and generally regarded as disposable anyway. The removal of DRM avoids *pissing off* voracious (usually genre) readers with large collections who are afraid of losing access through format shifting/technical failure, and who value sharing with friends (who then often become fans). While most book sales are to the former type of readers, there are still large niche markets for the latter and Tor caters to one of them.

I think Stross is also correct that removing DRM removes a barrier to access for non-Amazon e-booksellers who wish to sell kindle ebooks. You *can't* as far as I can tell, sell DRM-infected kindle books without going through Amazon somehow. This literally breaks a stranglehold. I'm not sure it'll play out exactly as Stross envisions, but it opens up the possibility.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #50
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
IIRC Baen buys 'non-exclusive' worldwide rights to ebooks (or at least they used to) meaning an author is free to publish them on Amazon themselves.
Ah, that makes sense!
Advert
Old 06-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #51
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Stross actually said something similar--that there is not much to be gained in removing DRM from bestsellers as they are generally read once by non-readers and generally regarded as disposable anyway. The removal of DRM avoids *pissing off* voracious (usually genre) readers with large collections who are afraid of losing access through format shifting/technical failure, and who value sharing with friends (who then often become fans). While most book sales are to the former type of readers, there are still large niche markets for the latter and Tor caters to one of them.

I think Stross is also correct that removing DRM removes a barrier to access for non-Amazon e-booksellers who wish to sell kindle ebooks. You *can't* as far as I can tell, sell DRM-infected kindle books without going through Amazon somehow. This literally breaks a stranglehold. I'm not sure it'll play out exactly as Stross envisions, but it opens up the possibility.
The problem there is it goes both ways-Amazon can now sell to the non-Amazon bookseller's customers.
I bet Mr. Stross didn't see that one coming. I'm not really sure that going DRM free is going to promote competitive diversity at all. Heck, it may go the other way-it may help Amazon.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #52
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Incidentally, John Scalzi's new book _Redshirts_ is out today. The ebook was supposed to be released DRM-free, but apparently the actual e-tailers have not all implemented this correctly. So Scalzi referred his blog readers to Apprentice Alf...
Oh no. Apprentice Alf watch out!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #53
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I am so uninterested in having to go to 87 different publisher's stores to find the books I want. Other than the Liaden books and Lois Bujold (both published by Baen) I have no idea (and couldn't care less) who publishes my other favorite authors.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #54
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I am so uninterested in having to go to 87 different publisher's stores to find the books I want. Other than the Liaden books and Lois Bujold (both published by Baen) I have no idea (and couldn't care less) who publishes my other favorite authors.
Agreed.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #55
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
The problem there is it goes both ways-Amazon can now sell to the non-Amazon bookseller's customers.
I bet Mr. Stross didn't see that one coming. I'm not really sure that going DRM free is going to promote competitive diversity at all. Heck, it may go the other way-it may help Amazon.
Probably not. By now, anyone who isn't a customer of Amazon has probably made a deliberate choice not to be, and doesn't have a device that reads kindle format. If I want an epub, Amazon would not be my first choice of seller unless the price is the best. (I've done this--since I can strip DRM, it isn't a barrier; I have bought books from Amazon and converted them for my nook. This is more trouble than just buying an epub).
Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #56
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know about that. There are plenty of folks here who buy from Amazon and strip the DRM for their EPub readers. I see people with Nooks and Kobos ask about buying from Amazon. I would guess that most people buying an ereader do not realize that they might not be able to buy from Amazon and would be excited to be able to shop at Amazon.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #57
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I love Baen. They have some of my favorite authors and I've bought a lot of books from them. But while I check Amazon's new books every day I might go to Baen's site once a month.
Well, that works with Baen's schedule of updating their new books roughly once a month anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Do you think they will offer their books on Amazon and at a discount on their site since they don't need to give Amazon a 30% cut? For 30% off I might search on Amazon but buy at Tor.
Technically, Baen kind of offer a discount, not on their own books, but on Night Shade's, which are just $6 DRM-free MultiFormat in the Baen webstore, but $7.99 DRMed elsewhere (but coupons applicable).

One of the ways that publishers could get people into their own stores is to offer significant direct-buy discounts.

Sourcebooks' Discover A New Love bookclub for romance novels offers 40% off the regular list price of their books for members (and a $9.99 membership gets you 6 free books in an Audible-style 1 credit per month program), with additional sale deals and bonus coupon offers, all DRM-free in ePub/Mobi/PDF bundle with a single purchase. This puts most of their eligible titles below the discount price offered at most stores.

Even though I'm not interested in dedicated romance novels, I did join to encourage the entire DRM-free discounted direct-buy thing, and hopefully they add some more historical fiction selections I'd actually get around to reading.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #58
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
One of the ways that publishers could get people into their own stores is to offer significant direct-buy discounts.
Simon & Schuster used to do this. At one time they were the cheapest place to get most of their own titles.

Quote:
Sourcebooks' Discover A New Love bookclub for romance novels offers 40% off the regular list price of their books for members (and a $9.99 membership gets you 6 free books in an Audible-style 1 credit per month program), with additional sale deals and bonus coupon offers, all DRM-free in ePub/Mobi/PDF bundle with a single purchase. This puts most of their eligible titles below the discount price offered at most stores.

Even though I'm not interested in dedicated romance novels, I did join to encourage the entire DRM-free discounted direct-buy thing, and hopefully they add some more historical fiction selections I'd actually get around to reading
Romance isn't my main interest either (I like some Romantic Suspense and Historical stuff), but I joined their 'club' anyway to show support [wish they'd add some of their non-romance titles to the club]. Of course I now have two credits to use up, but I'm not to bothered about it.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-05-2012 at 04:43 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #59
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
TBH, the average customer doesn't know epub from D cup.
But they would know that if they had a Nook or Sony, they would be able to buy from Amazon-because Amazon would want them to know. Amazon might even start selling DRM free epub versions alongside mobi. Why not, and make lemons out of lemonade.
The point is that publishers going DRM free will do little, if anything, to restrain Amazon and might be to its benefit.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #60
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

But BN, Sony, and Kobo can sell DRM free Mobi. People enjoyed the Borders and Barnes and Noble card for buying books, remove Agency Pricing and all the sudden you could have a e-book version of the discount card. Kobo does well with EPub readers because of its coupons, remove Agency pricing and now Kobo can sell DRM free Mobi books with the coupon.

Yes, Amazon can match a fair amount of that but I am sure there are ways of making it more challenging. Don't drop the price per book but bundle Stephen King novels and sell the set lower then Amazon does.

One of the great things about EPub readers is that people are suppose to be thrilled to be able to shop at a multitude of stores. Why do people discount that Kindle users might not be lured to Kobo or BN? Why assume that Kob and Nook users will be lured to Amazon but not the other way around?

Personally, I think that people will maintain the status quo and buy from the store attached to their device for convience sake but I could be wrong.