Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
calibre creates collection on Sony PRS700 but does not transfer book into it

I have to start using Calibre for my file transfers to my Sony Reader 700 since my reader library software is not working anymore (very frustrating). I tagged a book with a collection title and transferred the book from Calibre to my reader. The book transferred to my reader OK (I can see it from "Books" and open it from there), and Calibre created the correct collection folder but it did not transfer the actual book to the collection. The folder reads "no books" in the collection. What happened here and how can I get this fixed?
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
I have to start using Calibre for my file transfers to my Sony Reader 700 since my reader library software is not working anymore (very frustrating). I tagged a book with a collection title and transferred the book from Calibre to my reader. The book transferred to my reader OK (I can see it from "Books" and open it from there), and Calibre created the correct collection folder but it did not transfer the actual book to the collection. The folder reads "no books" in the collection. What happened here and how can I get this fixed?
I am by no means an expert, but I find that if I let my reader near Sony's useless piece of crap software it deletes all the collections I painstakingly created with Calibre. The only solution I found is to delete everything on the reader and then export it again via Calibre -- this fixes my collections. The key is to never, ever have your reader plugged in when you open UselessPieceOfCrap^WSony Reader software. Change the name of the program so it can't automatically open when you plug in your reader.

I bought a few books from the Sony Store because I had a gift card -- I downloaded them to my computer, stripped the DRM from the epub and then put them on my reader via Calibre.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I am by no means an expert, but I find that if I let my reader near Sony's useless piece of crap software it deletes all the collections I painstakingly created with Calibre. The only solution I found is to delete everything on the reader and then export it again via Calibre -- this fixes my collections. The key is to never, ever have your reader plugged in when you open UselessPieceOfCrap^WSony Reader software. Change the name of the program so it can't automatically open when you plug in your reader.

I bought a few books from the Sony Store because I had a gift card -- I downloaded them to my computer, stripped the DRM from the epub and then put them on my reader via Calibre.

-Marcy
My question, though, is that Calibre DID create the collection on the reader, it just did not put the book into it, although it DID put the book in the reader itself. I can only access it through the main book list view, not through collections. I don't understand why this happened.

Also, question 2...can books that are already on the reader be transferred from the reader to Calibre and if so, how is this done? or is it just one way from Calibre to the reader only?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
leday
Groupie

Update...I had an older version of Calibre on my desktop. I downloaded fresh the newest version of Calibre on my laptop, imported all of my Sony library into it, then sent the book I was trying to download to the reader previously to the Sony reader and IT created the correct collection AND put the book into it properly! I then transferred another book to that collection on the reader and it worked too! So...it looks like I will be using Calibre instead of the reader software (which won't open on my desktop at all, and which now hangs and freezes my laptop each time I try to connect my device to it). I will redownload all of my prior Sony LRX books to the new epub format and transfer them to calibre.

Last edited by leday; 12-23-2009 at 03:56 PM.