Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
fierfek
fierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 and Jetbook Lite
need some help deciding on which prs to get

I had a prs-505 and i really loved it. But it was recently stolen so i want to get a new reader. I have been going over if i want to get a new 505 or get the 600 or 300. I do think i am leaning away from the 300 because of no memory card expansion. I would get the 505 again but with the price so close to the 600 would it be better to get the 600. i am not worried about he glare of the 600 because i have a booklight for reading at home. Makings notes is not a selling point either because i do not forsee doing that. The touchscreen is an added bonus but i can live with out it. Is the 600 worth getting over the 505 if the price is close. other than not having the glare issue what is the benifit of the 505 over the 600.

thanks
fierfek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Do you read small fonts or complex-character languages? If you read latin-based text mostly at fairly large sizes (less than 50 characters per line), I'd say the 600 has some advantages in general functionality.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
fierfek
fierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enoughfierfek will become famous soon enough

i think i had the 505 on the small setting. i don't think i read any complex character languages
Old 09-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
you should go look at both in the store before deciding - the 505 has one of if not the best screen on an ereader to date. You may be disappointed with the 600 - the 300 while smaller might be closer to the reading experience you are used to. I would not reccomend ordering a 600 online until you have held one in your hands - there seems to be a very pronounced split of opinion on the screen quality of the 600. Some find it very good and the touch features real handy, some find the touch features ok or good but the added glare to be too high a price to pay - it is really a matter of personal choice - I personally returned my 600 as did several others, but there are just as many people who fell in love with the 600
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I just bought a second 505 on clearance at target $239. My usage is mostly like yours.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
If the 600's glare really doesn't bother you, then it's a no-brainer - get the 600. However, I agree with davidspitzer and would advise you to look at the 600 and the 300 side by side at the store to make sure you'll be happy with the screen quality. To my mind the only thing the 505 has on the 600 is screen quality, but that's pretty huge considering it's the primary feature of the device.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
What I really Want is the roll out computer Val kilmer had in "Red Planet"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red-planet-map-display.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	36647  

Last edited by davidspitzer; 09-28-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: I just Noticed it says IBM - I guess it would say Lenovo now
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
What I really Want is the roll out computer Val kilmer had in "Red Planet"
. . . but then you need both your hands to hold it!

I have a 600 and love it, but I never saw the 505. My husband has a Kindle 2 and I can see a difference in screen contrast levels. The background on his seems lighter/brighter and the text darker/sharper. However, that's ALL I like better about his Kindle!

Definitely check them out if you can. What you are used to can make a huge difference. No matter how elegantly functional the PRS-600 is, (and it is!! ), it could leave you frustrated with the "page" quality, and even more angry at the thieves who stole your 505.

Good luck!
Fi
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
And don't neglect the fact the PRS-900 is probably going to be out in around 3-5 weeks. If I was set on buying a Sony reading device I would wait because I am very intrigued with the landscape mode of the 900 and it's ability to show essentially two pages at the same time just like a paperback.

Also the wireless is something I am hunting as well. For me I am not sure if I want wifi or 3g or both wifi and 3g. I think I want both or just wifi rather than a device with 3g alone.

For me looking at the Sony's, all three current as well as the 505 are not awful devices. BTW, I think your comparing of the K2 v. the 505 background is interesting, for some reason I thought folks were finding the 505 offered better contrast...just shows there is a chance of a fair amount of variation between individual devices of the same model...and folks PLEASE read I only mentioned there could be a CHANCE not stating it as a fact.

If you are hunting something like the 600...consider the iRex DR800 which is also due out shortly as well and should not have the glossy top layer thus less reflection of light objects within the "family of angles" that would reflect light back to your eye...but the DR800 looks to really be a top end everyday reading device from all I have read and it is likely going to be about the same price as the 900 and $100ish more than the 600.

yeesh, lots of numbers huh? hehehehe....have fun but there are a lot of nice devices out now for just reading so if you chose something now, you won't hate it, maybe...

EDIT: Just re-read your initial post...I would say your best buy is a 505 right now...if you can go take a first hand look at one of the stores carrying the Sony readers...or buy from a place with a good return policy BH Video & Electronics: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

Last edited by brecklundin; 09-28-2009 at 05:31 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Are memory cards really that important? My 300 will hold at least 400+ novels--well over a years' worth of reading! I also have a 505, and never used a memory card (except to flash a few hacks early on). If you really don't need a memory card, and if portability is a factor, then I suggest taking a good look at the 300. Although you can find 505's cheap now, and the 300 does not come with a cover like the 505 (just a foam pouch).
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #11
overdriver
overdriver began at the beginning.

Device: none
original poster already mentions that glare is not issue to him. so, please, let's not stress this subject anymore since he knows already.

Let's give him any advantage of Prs-600 over 505:

1. searchable, internal dictionary. you can touch the word to search.

2. Faster CPU - 400Mhz instead of 200Mhz in prs-505 - so it loads the book much faster (specially in pdf). and turning page is little faster.

3. Zoom-in function in PDF. 505 has only reflow function. 600 has both. very handy and effective.

I think these features are worth additional cost.

Last edited by overdriver; 09-29-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: addtional info
overdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
yeah, you really need to see them before buying them, because he may say he doesn't care about glare NOW, because he had a 505. But after he uses it and see's it , it could bother him, I don't know, so actual use is important, since being able to READ on the THING is the most important THING.
Everybody agrees that if the screen on the 600 was as good as the 505, practically everyone would be in agreement if they are offered at same price and we would get the 600 because of the cool features.
Others have already commented , that glare bothers some and it doesn't bother others and contrast levels, as long as he sees them first and plays around with them, whatever he chooses is the right one for him.
Some people on this board bought the 600 at pre-launch expecting it to be GREAT and were disappointed in it , not everybody, but some people that are regulars of this board, so if it was an issue for these people, it is something to have a heads up on , so you don't make the same mistake of buying it , sight onseen. You could love it but you might not and if restocking fee and hassle of returning it doesn't bother you , then try em and return the one you don't like.
p.s. I bought both my 505's brand NEW , one for 200 dollars and one for 150 dollars a few months ago. So even if the screen on 600 was as good as 505, I prefer the savings on the 505 since it's at end of LIFE cycle and can be found cheaper if you look.

Last edited by richman; 09-29-2009 at 06:09 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
fierfek

thanks for all the input. I ended up getting the 505 yesterday at target. the deciding factor was it being on clearence for 190.

thanks again all
Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yee-Haw!

Enjoy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #15
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierfek View Post
thanks for all the input. I ended up getting the 505 yesterday at target. the deciding factor was it being on clearence for 190.

thanks again all
nice choice and I think a great decision...for that price you can sell it for almost the same amount in a few months if a reader you prefer comes out.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote