Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-17-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
VitalSource attempts iTunes for e-books

VitalSource has launched what it calls the VitalSource Bookshelf, a software available for Mac OS and Windows which you can use to buy your e-books online and to archive them on your computer. Despite our fervent hopes that it wouldn't happen again, they created yet another proprietary and DRM-"enhanced" e-book format, called VitalBook (.vbk). So far VitalBooks include around 1,000 titles, among which you find public domain classics such as Shakespeare and reference works from various textbook publishers. We wish you guys good luck with your ambitions, but please take our advise to try it with a more widespread e-book format next time.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Not only is another format that's got an unknown future (i.e. your purchased books could become worthless as technology moves forward), but it doesn't look like there are any books you can't get at eReader or Gutenberg anyway.

I'm all the more suspicious of it when they want you prominently to download their software, but don't make it very easy to see what books they have.

Surely they have something worthwhile to add despite the new format and DRM.. what have we missed?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
arvinder
arvinder began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N72
Hi,

It seems that you people have great knowledge about .VBK format. So I have one concern, May i know the process by which i can convert my PDF's, doc, html, xml, quark and indesign formats into .VBK format. Is this possible or do you know anybody who can help me to how to convert different formats into vitalbook format. I am eagrly looking forward for this solution.

Thanks
Arvinder
arvinder is offline   Reply With Quote