Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #691
ThePage
Connoisseur
ThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura aboutThePage has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 4, eBookwise & Literati
Unhappy indigestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
3 of my 5 PDF to rb produced single blank pages and the other 2 didn't convert to imp at all, because the rb's were no good to begin with - they don't open in Calibre.

I therefore converted from PDF to ePUb, making sure that those open, and converted the ePub to rb which are again unreadable - 4 of 5 took less than a minute, and the last is up to 47% at 23 minutes and counting!
Somehow Calibre seems to have gotten the book I was reading confused with last book I'd told it to convert and therby got indigestion!

Started over and it went ok, for that step.

Any file processed by Calibre seems to give my other Library program indigestion however, have tried both (good) RTF & Rb with no useful results in the form of the imp files that my reader uses.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #692
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Any file processed by Calibre seems to give my other Library program indigestion however, have tried both (good) RTF & Rb with no useful results in the form of the imp files that my reader uses.
Try loading the rtf into wordpad/Atlantis or other editor, then resave it.
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 03:22 AM   #693
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Help! I’ve somehow caused the whole Search & Replace pane in the conversion window to have a very long horizontal slide bar. And it’s a pain to not have the test button easily clickable on the screen. Maybe it’s just a question of deleting the Search & Replace cache??? I recently had a very long text string I was correcting in a LIT file and I think that’s when the problem started.

I apologize if this has been covered, but I’ve searched and can’t find the answer.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #694
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Will be fixed in next release.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #695
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
How Did I Do That?

While messing around with some of the options in Calibre one day, I accidentally moved the Book Details to the bottom of the page instead of the right hand side. I then reset everything.
Now, I'd like to have that option back.
Anyone know how I can have the book details open up at the bottom?

T.I.A.
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #696
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Anyone know how I can have the book details open up at the bottom?
Check the look and feel- options in preferences (the one with the paint pot as icon). You'll want to set the very first option to "narrow" instead of "wide".
Old 03-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #697
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Check the look and feel- options in preferences (the one with the paint pot as icon). You'll want to set the very first option to "narrow" instead of "wide".
Yay!!! I looked over the "Look & Feel" options, but never would have equated "Wide vs Narrow" with moving the book details.

Much Karma to you. Thank you!!
Old 03-08-2011, 04:02 AM   #698
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hello there, I'm really sorry if this question has been answered already, I have tried to find it but haven't turned up anything so it's likely to be my ignorance of the correct search terms to use...

OK, I want to put a decent epub book up on Goodreads. I have found a number of tutorials as to how but they are mostly from about 1999 so the information seems to be obsolete... it doesn't work and anyway they all finish with my having to use the command prompt and work in dos. Once we reach that level, I am lost and the rest of the project is usually an epic fail.

SO... now I'm trying Calibre. So far I have some pretty decent results converting a short story in word 7 html to an epub file. The only problem is, my cover automatically sizes itself. This means the picture is thin and tall or tiny and fat depending on how I move the edges of the reader. I don't want that to happen when people read my e-book. I want the dimensions of the cover to be locked.

Is there any way I can do that in Calibre? I'm pretty sure I managed it the first time but I haven't found a way to do it since.

I know it's a dunderhead question but if anyone is able to take pity on me and help it would be fantastic. I'm reasonably commonsense savvy about how e-books are structured and what you're supposed to do but I've not really understood how to make one. In short I'm a intelligent but not logical or mathematical so it takes a while to get through to me sometimes.

Cheers

MTM

Last edited by M T McGuire; 03-08-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 AM   #699
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
I want the dimensions of the cover to be locked.

Is there any way I can do that in Calibre?
Look in the ePub output options in the conversion dialog, there is an option to keep the aspect ratio of the cover.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #700
M T McGuire
Addict
M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.M T McGuire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Look in the ePub output options in the conversion dialog, there is an option to keep the aspect ratio of the cover.
Doh! Chanelling Homer or what, I had even found the page but I'm working on a notepad computer so all the info was scrolled up under the edge at the top... the thing looked blank, then I saw this slider bar at the side and thought 'hmm'.

I now have a very presentable e-book. I think my quest may have ended!

Cheers

MTM
Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #701
Manichean
Wizard

Moderator Notice
This thread is now closed, because it has devolved from its original purpose to a catch-all thread for general purpose questions. Instead of posting in here, open up a new thread in the appropriate subforum. The thread will of course stay here for archival and research.
Closed Thread