Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The Book of Air and Shadows

Has anyone read this book, by Michael Gruber? What did you think of it? I'm interested not only in the plot, but also the writing style, since I've not read this author before. Thanks in advance.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i haven't, but the washington post reviewer quoted on amazon certainly makes me want to... (i was annoyed to see that, although the book claims you can "search inside", no excerpt is available. as in, you click and you get a lot of pages that all say "This page is not available." really frustrating.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i haven't, but the washington post reviewer quoted on amazon certainly makes me want to... (i was annoyed to see that, although the book claims you can "search inside", no excerpt is available. as in, you click and you get a lot of pages that all say "This page is not available." really frustrating.)
The links work for me
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just finished this book. Overall, I liked it more for the writing style, rich vocabulary and incredible metaphors and similes than for the plot.

Oh, the plot is wacky enough: old documents point to an undiscovered Shakespeare play. An IP lawyer, budding screenwriter, Jesuit street thug, Polish ex-spy and cryptographer, Russian-Jewish-Israeli mafia, and a mystery girl or two all race to find it. I was just a little tired of it about 2/3 the way through, however.

Then along would come a description about a leather seat "as soft as girls" and I'd be ready to read on!

Overall, it's worth a read.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 05-13-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The trouble with lost Shakespeare plays is that they invariably get destroyed by the end of the novel.
Usually they get burnt, but not before the author has produced a tantalising extract, giving him/her the chance to display their skill at pastiche.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

I will not spoil this book by revealing the ending. The author does a nice job of explaining Shakespeare scholarship, the import of any document that reveals anything about Shakespeare himself, etc. An actual lost play, would it exist, is referred to as the "Most Valuable Portable Object in the World" in the book. There is interesting background in scams and forgeries of old documents, and the tension between "is it a scam, or not" is well-maintained until the very end. All of this background material is revealed by the characters in the normal course of very readable conversation, rather than as dry, tedious asides.

Spoiler: the ms was devoured by ninja squirrels.

P.S. Patricia, did I get the Kanji right?
Old 05-14-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Don't ask me, Taylor. I only did Japanese for a year and we stopped before kanji. The teacher tried us with hirigana instead. And now I've forgotten most of that.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
I just finished "The Book of Air and Shadows" yesterday. I did enjoy it, although it had just a few too many plot twists towards the end. Overall, I think Michael Gruber's new novel "The Forgery of Venus" is better. It has the same sort of style and subject matter, but the plotting is streamlined and there are fewer characters to keep track of.

"The Forgery of Venus" does for painting what "The Book of Air and Shadows" did for Jacobean manuscripts. Definitely worth your time.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote