Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Huawei introduces a 6.1" smartphone (this is bigger than Kindle Paperwhite)

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/01/huawe...bile-4g-ready/

Quote:
6.1-inch 1280 x 720 361ppi display (0.73 screen-to-frame ratio, higher than the 0.69 screen-to-frame ratio of the Galaxy Note II)
HiSilicon K3V3 1.5GHz quad-core processor
2GB RAM
13MP camera
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
4050 mAh battery (22 hours and 13 minutes talk time. 14 hours of web browsing. 10 hours of video playback)
Water-resistant/Dust-resistant
Kindle Paperwhite has a 6" screen.
It won't be just tablets that will kill e-reader, but phablets too.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413986,00.asp

Pictures

http://www6.pcmag.com/media/images/3...scend-mate.jpg
http://www5.pcmag.com/media/images/3...comparison.jpg

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 01-08-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Where did you get the PPI quote? From the first article link:

Quote:
As far as screens go, this one is okay, but not great. It offers 720p resolution, but at 6.1 inches, you're only getting 241 pixels per inch. It's bright and vibrant, and it doesn't look bad, but it's no match for the 1080p displays we're starting to see, like on Huawei's own Ascend D.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Very good battery!

Cost?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
too big
I say 5 inch max is most
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Dang.

That's a big one.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Yes, the PPI is wrong, at 1280x720, a smaller S3 is about 300 and the Note II about 264, so it's a misquote.

People are buying phablets because they don't want to carry 2 devices, a phablet replaces both a phone and a tablet, so one device to rule them all. And with accessories starting to pop-up that make use simpler (like smartwatches that show you messages, missed calls and such), functionality is even better.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
If it is going to be that large, might as well haul around a Nexus 7.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yes, the PPI is wrong, at 1280x720, a smaller S3 is about 300 and the Note II about 264, so it's a misquote.

People are buying phablets because they don't want to carry 2 devices, a phablet replaces both a phone and a tablet, so one device to rule them all. And with accessories starting to pop-up that make use simpler (like smartwatches that show you messages, missed calls and such), functionality is even better.
I hear you about the 2 devices thing, but when you consider the cost of having a data plan on your cell phone, other possibilities begin to be attractive.

I am going with a Droid I as a WiFi mini-tab in a belt pouch, and a simple small feature phone in my pocket. A simple phone on my wrist (watch) replacing the one in my pocket might work also.

I don't like two pouches or holsters on my belt. It becomes bothersome when you are strapping in sometimes. Always getting hung up. Another possibility I have used is a vest with camera and cargo pockets.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #9
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post

True in my case. Since I switched from a flip phone to a Samsung Galaxy 3, the e-reader and mp3 player never leave home.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd love to have a phablet some day, but I don't want to replace my e-ink reader untill I could read on that phablet comfortable on a sunny beach. Untill that day comes, it would only replace my tablet and smartphone.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
rdjack21
Groupie
rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdjack21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elocity A7, Nook STR, Galaxy Nexus
Pair one of these with a good bluetooth head set and you would have it made. Actually what I would love to see is a Nexus 7 with a phone in it. Again pair it with a bluetooth head set (like the LG HBS-700) and no need to put it up to your ear.
rdjack21 is offline   Reply With Quote