Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #346
alex84395
alex84395 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adalmetal View Post
Hi everyone, i've been following this thread for long time now, and i just realized that Yinfalu just released his jailbreak.

I'd like to thank Yinfalu for the hard work he's been doing and for providing us with the possibility of running other software in the kindle family (especially the touch that i have)

I went to jailbreak my KT and followed all the process described in the reading, somehow, it didn't finish like the video that Yinfalu posted, somehow my kindle shows the screen that says Jailbreak, but for some reason after the screen flashes my kindle show the screensaver and remains locked.

I power it on again, and it sends me to the last menu I was in... anyways I tried it few times, and I always got the same result. And I couldn't find if the kindle actually got jailbroken, since there is no difference at all...is it jailbroken?

My kindle is a Wifi SO version... let me know if it's jailbroken or if maybe I have to redo it... Thanks...
Read the readme
I have the same Kindle, same problem, and have read the Readme, but was unable to come to any conclusion on what I did wrong. Is it just that this jailbreak does not work with the Kindle Touch SO, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
alex84395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:54 PM   #347
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex84395 View Post
I have the same Kindle, same problem, and have read the Readme, but was unable to come to any conclusion on what I did wrong. Is it just that this jailbreak does not work with the Kindle Touch SO, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
"It does NOT do anything useful or noticeable other than this. You must find and install modifications that extend the device (the jailbreak only allows that to be possible.)" <-- From the readme

What package are you trying to install? Because just running the jailbreak does not do anything noticeable.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #348
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
The confusion with this jailbeak is that in the past it has been offered, in the same post, with additional features that use the jailbreak and the jailbreak is not a stand alone. And most people don't read "read me" which is a bit sad but true. I think there needs to be a consolidated post that has the full instructions for the jailbreak and the screensaver hack in a sticky. I have jailbreaked multiple devices but I am also confused and will need to spend some time finding all the bits to make it happen.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #349
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are two hacks in the jailbreak post, but it will take a while to make more.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #350
alex84395
alex84395 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch WiFi
Quote:
"It does NOT do anything useful or noticeable other than this. You must find and install modifications that extend the device (the jailbreak only allows that to be possible.)" <-- From the readme

What package are you trying to install? Because just running the jailbreak does not do anything noticeable.
Ohh, I see I rewatched your video and discovered the I had failed to notice the "the updater will only start if you have a package on the device's USB drive" annotation.

Sorry for being a noob, thanks for the jailbreak, and thank you for your patience!
alex84395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #351
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Device: K3-3G, KT SO
Quote:

I tried installing usbnetwork (that one in package) in the same process of running jailbreak again - put those files in root folder - got information that update was succesful, but after reboot I get

update was not successful.

to resume using your kindle, press = button.
UPDATE ERROR:3

same when trying to install usbnetwork after applying jailbreak.mp3..
seems like it's not jailbroken after all..

Last edited by miguelos; 12-19-2011 at 05:10 PM.
miguelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #352
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelos View Post
I tried installing usbnetwork (that one in package) in the same process of running jailbreak again - put those files in root folder - got information that update was succesful, but after reboot I get

update was not successful.

to resume using your kindle, press = button.
UPDATE ERROR:3

same when trying to install usbnetwork after applying jailbreak.mp3..
seems like it's not jailbroken after all..
Umm, did you try typing ";un" into the search bar and plugging the kindle into the computer?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #353
miguelos
Enthusiast
miguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toysmiguelos shares his or her toys

Quote:
Umm, did you try typing ";un" into the search bar and plugging the kindle into the computer?
yup, it starts in USB drive mode..
Old 12-19-2011, 06:07 PM   #354
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
yup, it starts in USB drive mode..
What version is your Touch?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #355
miguelos
Enthusiast

Quote:
What version is your Touch?
as I said - it's 5.0.1 - but someone stated that it worked for this version. The jailbreak.mp3 starts a splascreen as well (with "your kindle is beeing freed) - you mentioned this is equivalent to that JB worked
Old 12-20-2011, 11:10 AM   #356
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
hmmm... this might not be your issue, but when you copy the install.bin file (which, another dumb question but I'm just trying to eliminate everything that *isn't* going wrong for you, you are copying the install.bin and not the uninstall.bin, right?) and you put it in the root folder of the kindle. To install it are you going to the settings menu and then clicking "menu->update your kindle" or are you just restarting it? If I'm not paying attention and just restart my kindle with the file in the root folder it will say that it failed to update the kindle.

For me the processes I did was:

1) Installed jailbreak (Copy jailbreak.mp3 to music folder, run it from the experimental mp3 player)

2) Restart Kindle (jailbreak.mp3 is no longer on my device)

3) Copy install.bin

4) Update my kindle

5) It will restart (install.bin is no longer on my device)

5b) I throw in one last restart for good measure

6) I can now type ;un password PASSWORD_HERE (where you replace PASSWORD_HERE with the password you want to use)

7) Then type ;un

At this point I can now freely access the kindle via usb. I know I should be able to do it over wifi too, but I haven't worked out how to get that to work yet

Hopefully that helps, sorry if that's *exactly* what you're already doing
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #357
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
So I had lost my screensavers *again* after trying to mess with the message.mo file in

/usr/share/locale/en/LC_MESSAGES

Long story short, for some reason after I edited the file, I needed to uninstall then reinstall the screensaver mod. But now I have my custom screen savers and custom messages to go with the various events!
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #358
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
as I said - it's 5.0.1 - but someone stated that it worked for this version. The jailbreak.mp3 starts a splascreen as well (with "your kindle is beeing freed) - you mentioned this is equivalent to that JB worked
Yes, but they may have specifically blocked usbnetwork.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM   #359
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Is the simple usbnet hack install on 5.0.1?

If it will not install, or if it installs but does not work, perhaps ssh can be reinstalled and/or firewall rules adjusted using the runme.sh script.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:13 AM   #360
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Quote:
Yes, but they may have specifically blocked usbnetwork.
I did nothing else than following your README and it worked. No error, no unsuccessful message. I installed the 1.1 usbnetwork, changed the PW liek in the README and it worked. Typed NOT only ;un but ; usbnetwork. Got two error messages running WinSCP I dont't remember, but suddenly the WinSCP Expolrer popped up and I could access the Kindle.
And again, it came out of the box with 5.0.1.
I access the KT with WinSCP via USB.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote