Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So if Apple and the publishers lose, would we get money back for every agency eBook we've purchased?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #17
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
That seems doubtful.

For one, on what basis would they 'return' the money? There was no fixed price, as such, for the ebooks (prior to the fixing). So how will they calculate the difference? $12.99 minus $9.99? $8.99? $5.99?

Since the price was varying across stores and depending on what discounts vendors chose to give, I don't see this working. Probably the most that would happen is that they would have to stop fixing prices in the future.

More importantly, though, I don't think they will lose the case. We have the might of Apple Inc., along with five of the largest publishers in the world, and all the lawyers that they have on their side...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
It's nice to see Apple and the "Agency" publishers get their faces rubbed in the dirt as they richly deserve, although I am highly skeptical of seeing justice in a U.S. court system where the dollar is far mightier than the sword.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #19
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
A class-action lawsuit is a bit different-anyone can bring one.

The real story would be if the Justice Department anti-trust department investigates-something like that could bring real change.
You're not going to see that. The DOJ Antitrust Division was gutted by Congress a decade ago.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #20
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
It's nice to see Apple and the "Agency" publishers get their faces rubbed in the dirt as they richly deserve, although I am highly skeptical of seeing justice in a U.S. court system where the dollar is far mightier than the sword.
Yay, a civil case grubbing for a payout for the lawyers... "rubbed in the dirt," come on, get real - it's a CIVIL case not criminal and the only real winners here will be the lawyers but I'm really pleased that makes you so happy...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 AM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The case will go nowhere.

Repeat all previous arguments on this topic. Convince no one.

Etc. etc.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #22
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
but I'm really pleased that makes you so happy...
Glad to have brought some cheer to your day
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #23
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I just read the entire 46 page filing, and it does a great job of explaining the history behind the move to agency pricing, but is a bit weak in describing why agency pricing is a violation of the Sherman Act (and a few other anti-trust laws). None of the federal or state governments have filed anti-trust complaints against Apple or the Big Five, so I think this lawsuit is facing a huge hurdle.

One thing I did find interesting is in Section 67-68 in the filing. Apparently, Apple forced Random House to adopt the Agency Model. According to the filing Random House books were banned from the Apple Site unless they adopted the Agency Model, and they did so in March of this year.

Personally, I feel that the Agency Model is anti-competitive, but I don't know the law well enough to back up my feeling.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #24
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
You're not going to see that. The DOJ Antitrust Division was gutted by Congress a decade ago.
Longer ago than that. In 1982 they were able to break up Ma Bell.
By the mid 90's Bill Gates was able to tell them where to go, and by 2002 they quit trying.

Congress, however, does not control personnel in the DOJ, that is the province of the sitting president. Also, a huge part of the problem is within the judiciary. All branches of government have become corrupt - IMNSHO the drones within the bereaucracy most of all.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #25
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I heard about it at Ars Technica this morning.

I tend toward the cynical as well on legal issues, but I'm still going to hope for the best. I think that the publishers are fighting a losing battle in the long run, given the broader changes in the book market that the Internet is facilitating.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #26
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I'm glad the lawsuit is finally in action.

A bit ironic that the articles photo is showing a kindle.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #27
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
So, I would be happy to hear from some lawyers on this, but here is my understanding/guess.

1) It used to be illegal for manufacturers to set fixed retail prices, but as of a recent court case (was it as recent as 2004??) it is now OK.

2) Furthermore, as I understand the term 'agency' pricing, it means that Amazon (and Apple) are not really retailers selling a product. The actual seller is now the publisher and Amazon is acting as a distributor for delivering the product. This means that the manufacturer sets the price and negotiates a handling fee (30 percent) that it pays the distributor (Amazon).

Given points one and two above, I believe it would be quite possible / legal for a publisher to decide that it will no longer sell/license electronic books to retailers. There is nothing in the law that forces a company to sell a product if it doesn't want to. Instead the publisher will contract with sales agents to provide a distribution service. For this reason, I would expect the company to establish the same business model across all distributors. Furthermore, it is quite understandable that the commission is the same 30%. The publisher will negotiate one benchmark deal that others will follow. Even if either Apple or Amazon got a special percentage, each of them are large enough to demand that they also get the same percentage.

However, there is an anti-trust question here. Prices can not be set in collusion by a set of manufacturers. It does seem that there are standard price points that the publishers all use. Furthermore, to the extent that these price points are negotiated (even with Apple) to end up at a common point, it may show collusion. The later publishers may have been 'forced' to agree to prices that other publishers already agreed upon.

Anyway, I'm not arguing whether agency pricing was a 'smart' move, or the resulting prices are correct. Frankly, I think the publishers should have been happy with Amazon subsidizing the publisher business model. I personally would have been more happy as a consumer.

In my (uneducated) opinion; however, agency pricing and similar deal structures across entities is legal. However, if the specific price levels match across publishers, then there may be legal issues.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:12 PM   #28
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Personally, I feel that the Agency Model is anti-competitive, but I don't know the law well enough to back up my feeling.
I agree. I hope it is overturned, but have no idea if it is illegal or not.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #29
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
In any case, I think you misunderstood the passage. The quote you mentioned says "hard-copy", which merely means the physical, i.e. print, copy (as opposed to the digital format). This would include any print version, including paperback. Not to be confused with 'hard-back' or 'hard-cover' prints.

Well, color me embarrassed...

As Rosanne Rosannadana used to say...."Never mind!"
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #30
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
However, there is an anti-trust question here. Prices can not be set in collusion by a set of manufacturers. It does seem that there are standard price points that the publishers all use. Furthermore, to the extent that these price points are negotiated (even with Apple) to end up at a common point, it may show collusion.
Curious how would that fit in with Apple's .99 pricing of music from all the music publishers back in 2003- that lasted until 2009, when the music publishers traded DRM for variable pricing?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote