Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kobo Touch or Nook STR?

I intend to get one of these two ereaders as a companion to my Kindle. I expect to use it mostly for library ebooks and for testing ePubs that I generate - but who knows, I'll probably find some books I prefer to have in ePub format. Sorry Sony. Update Adobe SDK, drop the price a bit, and I'll consider you too.

I've played with Nook STR at the B&N but had mixed feelings about it, in particular lack of a functioning web browser and weak support for PDF (secondary requirements for sure). It had some issues with selecting text (for example selecting a hyphenated word). The fonts were okay, but not as good as my Kindle. But even with ePub support it is a little deficient: can only navigate top level of TOC, which sort of defeats the purpose of having TOC navigation. I don't care about having physical page turn buttons, except insofar as they are needed for 'Fast Page(TM)'.

Kobo Touch seems to have a better web browser and PDF support out of the box (but evidently no reflow, which Nook does have), as well as Mobi/CBR/CBZ support, which is nice. I don't like that it needs to work with proprietary desktop software for something ADE apparently does not do, and that the dictionary apparently does not function with side-loaded content. But without some hands on it is difficult to know how it compares to Nook for mainline ePub viewing (how do the fonts compare? does it share the TOC navigation limitation? does text selection work better?). I like the idea of reading stats.

I'd also like to know how easy it is to navigate links with the touch interface (footnotes, etc.), are PDF links supported at all, etc.? What happens to notes/highlights in each system, are they basically marooned on the device or are they synced like Kindle? How does customer support compare?

I'm no doubt agonizing over this way too much, they both look pretty capable for what I need them for, 'nothing is perfect', and I'm kind of to the coin-flipping stage of my decision process. But I thought I'd ask to see if I'm overlooking anything. Nook, Kobo, or wait awhile for a round of updates?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
both seem to have ghosting issues. the nook would be my choice.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm hearing great things about the Kobo's PDF support. I'm not a big PDF guy, so the Nook appeals to me more out of these two (I'm considering the same question).

Before I buy one, I'm going to see if I can get a cheap Nook Gen 1 or NC on craigslist...
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
I'm hearing great things about the Kobo's PDF support. I'm not a big PDF guy, so the Nook appeals to me more out of these two (I'm considering the same question).

Before I buy one, I'm going to see if I can get a cheap Nook Gen 1 or NC on craigslist...
You can get a refurb NC for $199.99 on buy.com (sold by B&N).
Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am in the market for my first dedicated ereader and am facing the same decision. Given the two devices are so similar I think I'll end up going with the Kobo Touch Edition as B&N do not support sales outside of the US/UK.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Now that you stated all the deficancies of these two devices yourself, you know why the Sony is more expensive. It has all those things the other two lack...
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kobo has no hyperlink support, which you state as being a requirement, so that probably rules it out for you (as it would for me, too).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If you want to change margins and line spacing, then the Kobo isn't an option. Hope this is something they include in a firmware update very soon. Not sure why you would leave those features out. They enhance the reading experience.

Last edited by SCION; 06-15-2011 at 06:35 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:39 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Nook: snappier performance, ePub hyperlink support, ability to change margins/line spacing. And yes, physical buttons are important for left handed operation (I'm right handed but reading should be ambidextrous activity). Probably more mature software, given the similarities to Nook Color. Dictionary works with sideloaded content (correct?). Possibility of rooting for Android amusement.
Kobo: possibly better text selection, a web browser that works, zoomable PDF. But ePub hyperlink support is important (I read tons of nonfiction).

Looks like I'll be getting a Nook. Thanks everyone.

[Update: Just ordered one on line. It's good that they don't have a choice of color like Kobo, as if I need another purchase decision to make <g>]

Last edited by tomsem; 06-15-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Strictly speaking about Kobo and/or Nook Touch and respecting your thread,
I would say Nook Touch.

The Kobo has better PDF support but Nook Touch has more reading options customizations, like the ones SCION mentioned: margins, line spacing, ePub hyperlink support.

I can be wrong but I think there are no physical turn page buttons for the Kobo but Nook Touch have those, it is nice to have the choice, then Nook Touch again.

But if you are not in USA, forget about Nook. B&N support is inside the states only. Just yesterday someone posted a "horror story" about issues with his Nook Color, he's in Australia. Do yourself a favor and if you are not in USA, get a device with support on your country or living area.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Strictly speaking about Kobo and/or Nook Touch and respecting your thread,
I would say Nook Touch.

The Kobo has better PDF support but Nook Touch has more reading options customizations, like the ones SCION mentioned: margins, line spacing, ePub hyperlink support.

I can be wrong but I think there are no physical turn page buttons for the Kobo but Nook Touch have those, it is nice to have the choice, then Nook Touch again.

But if you are not in USA, forget about Nook. B&N support is inside the states only. Just yesterday someone posted a "horror story" about issues with his Nook Color, he's in Australia. Do yourself a favor and if you are not in USA, get a device with support on your country or living area.
Kobo has stated they will be adding much of that with their first software update. Of course if someone wants page turn buttons they should probably get the NOOK
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Kobo has stated they will be adding much of that with their first software update. Of course if someone wants page turn buttons they should probably get the NOOK
Hi Tony,

It is my opinion and preference that I buy electronic devices on what they can offer or have now, not on what they possible deliver later. Call me skeptical but those software updates can take weeks, months or even a year.

Not saying that Kobo is a bad ereader but comparing against Nook Touch I think that the B&N's product is overall a better device, at this moment.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
nm. he already chose i see.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #14
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
"But if you are not in USA, forget about Nook. B&N support is inside the states only. Just yesterday someone posted a "horror story" about issues with his Nook Color, he's in Australia. Do yourself a favor and if you are not in USA, get a device with support on your country or living area."

... Jocampo, thanks for the reminder and advice. You do not realize how important this is until you need support. Being from Puerto Rico, the Kobo/Borders arrangement seems to be my best fit. We do not have a B&N store in Puerto Rico, Sony Puerto Rico decided not to market the Sony Readers locally, and Amazon, with its propietary format, is not an option to me.
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanopr View Post
"But if you are not in USA, forget about Nook. B&N support is inside the states only. Just yesterday someone posted a "horror story" about issues with his Nook Color, he's in Australia. Do yourself a favor and if you are not in USA, get a device with support on your country or living area."

... Jocampo, thanks for the reminder and advice. You do not realize how important this is until you need support. Being from Puerto Rico, the Kobo/Borders arrangement seems to be my best fit. We do not have a B&N store in Puerto Rico, Sony Puerto Rico decided not to market the Sony Readers locally, and Amazon, with its propietary format, is not an option to me.
I know :-)

Yo vivi en PR 9 anos ... but you should reconsider the Kindle as an option too. You will have support even in PR plus a huge selection of books. it is really a great device at a nice price.

Good luck on your search!