Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
stevet
Enthusiast
stevet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch
Anyone have optimizing tips for PDF files?

I've seen a few fleeting references in threads about doing something to PDFs to make them work better on ebook readers. i have a Sony PRS600 Touch, and I have several files that are technical reference manuals that I can now carry in my briefcase (yeah, no more boxes of manuals).

These are not really well developed tagged PDFs, but most likely just "print to PDF" from the original files, and some of the older ones are scanned PDFs. So, the files are fairly large (6mb to 17mb), and don't view very well. Are there things I can do to make them smaller, or view better?

Steve
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
The best thing to do would be to try to obtain the source documents from which these PDFs are produced, and re-export to PDF using minimal margins and your screen size and page size. Often you cannot do this, however,

Failing that, I highly recommend using using some of the tools you'll find (or find discussion of) around here, particularly sopdf (my favorite for text-based PDFs) and pdflrf (which I prefer for scanned PDFs).

There are some others too, like PDFRead, you can try too, but the two above are my favorite.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
stevet
Enthusiast
stevet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch
I tried pdflrfwin, and it seemed to work. I couldn't figure out how to make sopdf work. I was expecting 2 dialogs for input and output, and couldn't figure out what to put in the single text box to get an output. I tried pasting the path to the source file, but that didn't work. Is it a Windows 7 thing?
stevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet View Post
I tried pdflrfwin, and it seemed to work. I couldn't figure out how to make sopdf work. I was expecting 2 dialogs for input and output, and couldn't figure out what to put in the single text box to get an output. I tried pasting the path to the source file, but that didn't work. Is it a Windows 7 thing?
I don't really know what you mean by "single text box".

sopdf is a command line program. You would normally run it from a Command line prompt. The options are described in the first post in that thread.

If you prefer to do it using a graphical user interface (GUI) more like pdflrfwin's, then you can either use the GUI I made or the GUI Nathan Campos made -- should simplify the process
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I always crop a pdf as far as possible on the left and right margins and then add tags.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote