Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Server maintenance 11/23@4am EST

We are planning a scheduled maintenance window which will be performed on Sunday, Nov 23rd at 4:00am Eastern Time. During this maintenance window, MobileRead may not be accessible for five minutes at the most.

Alex
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
We are planning a scheduled maintenance window which will be performed on Sunday, Nov 23rd at 4:00am Eastern Time. During this maintenance window, MobileRead may not be accessible for five minutes at the most.

Alex
Oh dear LORD! 5 minutes without MR? The pain, the agony, the withdrawal symptoms, the squirrels! How will we EVER survive!??!??!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
"You took the words right out of my mouth"(Meat Loaf)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
MobileRead may not be accessible for five minutes at the most.
That's the kiss of death, Alex.

-MJ

(Hear's Murphy sharpening his scythe in the background)
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Oh dear LORD! 5 minutes without MR? The pain, the agony, the withdrawal symptoms, the squirrels! How will we EVER survive!??!??!
dear god, FIVE MINUTES ??? i think i'm feeling withdrawal symptoms already. what time will that be here ? 6 hours difference, right ? so 10 in the morning ? okay, never mind, i'll probably still be asleep. carry on.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
"You took the words right out of my mouth"(Meat Loaf)
Oh and I swear it's true, I was just about to say I loveDISK READ ERROR. PLEASE RE-INSERT DISK.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
DISK READ ERROR. PLEASE RE-INSERT DISK.
A nightmare, it would be.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Oh and I swear it's true, I was just about to say I loveDISK READ ERROR. PLEASE RE-INSERT DISK.
Your avatar gone shopping, Marc?

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-20-2008 at 01:01 PM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Your avatar gone shopping, Marc?
It's pinin' for the fee-ords.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Three cheers for Alex, who does an amazing job keeping the site running seamlessly. Very few of us have any idea how much work he does, because he works quietly and never complaining nor boasting. As so many of us have expressed at various times, even a short time without MobileRead can be a painful period of separation!

So every one in a while it's good to toot his horn, and say WELL DONE ALEX!!!! YAY!!!

And, of course, that stands true no matter how well or badly the 5 min downtime goes.

Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Three cheers for Alex, who does an amazing job keeping the site running seamlessly. Very few of us have any idea how much work he does, because he works quietly and never complaining nor boasting. As so many of us have expressed at various times, even a short time without MobileRead can be a painful period of separation!

So every one in a while it's good to toot his horn, and say WELL DONE ALEX!!!! YAY!!!

And, of course, that stands true no matter how well or badly the 5 min downtime goes.

oh, i'll second that : yay !!

thank you, alex. brilliant job.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, i'll second that : yay !!

thank you, alex. brilliant job.
Who's Alex?

I kid! I kid! I love this forum, and not just for the silliness. I love it because it has, by far, exceeded in professionalism and stability and user-friendliness and general tone any other forum I've been fortunate to participate in. It's packed with info, packed with helpful and friendly people, packed with "free stuff", and just generally packed with customisable satisfaction that it's now my primary "hangout". And it hasn't cost me a cent! .

Also, I've set up a special software alarm to go off at "maintenance time" and distract me with bright shiny lights and funny animal noises for the specified five minutes. Should be sweet.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 11-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:

Alex
OMG!! You mean that from 3:00 in the morning until approximately 3:05 in the morning, I will not be able to read or post at MR???!!???

Arrrrrgh!!

Well, I guess you do what you have to do. For five minutes I'll find something else to do.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Think of it this way Ricky, it will be 09:00 GMT and several hours later where Alex is living.

He is amazing. Most other forums would close for a day or more to do the maintenance he performs in five minutes. Some other forums I have been associated with have performed "simple maintenance" and been down for a week. That sort of thing just does not happen here because Alex tests the changes before he applies them. In the past two years that I have been here, the forum has undergone several upgrades that I know about (and many more that I never knew about.) The structure of the forums has been changed and is continuing to evolve to meet the future needs.

Like Marc, I have found the membership at MR to be very helpful and civil (a unique quality in most Internet forums.) Alex and the other mods are great. I came here originally for information and stayed because of the people.

Thanks Alex.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:08 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thank you guys... of course it wouldn't work without all your help!

Maintenance is complete. Enjoy your Sunday!