Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-20-2014, 02:36 PM   #61
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I am using the sans serif and agree it a lovely readable font. I want it in Moon now to find out its name. I just finished His Dark and Dangerous Ways by Edith Layton. I'm hooked! As long as they keep the big publishers I see me keeping it. I spend 8.99 in one week on a couple of books. They take Paypal too,
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #62
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Slightly off topic....I just tried the Overdrive app on my Nexus and...gah. I guess you have to choose books marked as "OverdriveREAD" to read in the overdrive app, or adobe if you want to bother with that (I don't). So I went to the trouble of adding FLP and logging in, checked out a book, read a page, tried to find an area to change font or font size (couldn't find) and went back into the library to browse some more. When I went back to overdrive, the book I checked out is not there. NOWHERE to be found in the app. So much for THAT experiment. I will be uninstalling it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #63
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My version has none of those fonts. I have two choices only serif and sans serif. The sepia is too orange and the text is not black. It sounds like the non android app is very nice!
I happen to like a very plain sans serif so the limited font choice is good for me. The margins and line spacing can be made pretty large though, and sepia doesn't look orange on my Nexus 7. I am using the play store version - are you using Amazon's? Maybe as happens quite often Amazon's is not up to date. This uses the publisher defaults with line spacing and margins set to large - do you need bigger than this?
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398019357549.jpg
Views:	556
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	121903
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #64
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Slightly off topic....I just tried the Overdrive app on my Nexus and...gah. I guess you have to choose books marked as "OverdriveREAD" to read in the overdrive app, or adobe if you want to bother with that (I don't). So I went to the trouble of adding FLP and logging in, checked out a book, read a page, tried to find an area to change font or font size (couldn't find) and went back into the library to browse some more. When I went back to overdrive, the book I checked out is not there. NOWHERE to be found in the app. So much for THAT experiment. I will be uninstalling it.
The newest version is really buggy people are complaining about it on Play. The font area on the older version I have is at the top where the settings icon is. You touch the settings icon and menu will display there is only two fonts to choose from and they are Serif (Droids serif) and Sans-Serif (Droid Sans) both are ugly. Using the bold versions make them look very blocky like the old computer font.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #65
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I use FLP and you have to download the book while in the Overdrive app to read it. You can also use it to read books currently on your tablet. You change font and other settings the same as most other apps by tapping the center of the page to get to the menus.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #66
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I happen to like a very plain sans serif so the limited font choice is good for me. The margins and line spacing can be made pretty large though, and sepia doesn't look orange on my Nexus 7. I am using the play store version - are you using Amazon's? Maybe as happens quite often Amazon's is not up to date. This uses the publisher defaults with line spacing and margins set to large - do you need bigger than this?
Attachment 121903
It does to me after using the Kindle app's Sepia which Scribd uses almost the exact same shade of sepia which is why I find it very readable with the awesome sans-serif font. The OMC is more orange and the sans serif font for me isn't readable at all but I do read on it but it takes me awhile to make out the words it isn't dyslexic friendly.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #67
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I like the OverDrive app because it eliminates the need for a computer to get books to my Kindle 4; though I never read on the app. It's a check out tool.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:25 PM   #68
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It does to me after using the Kindle app's Sepia which Scribd uses almost the exact same shade of sepia which is why I find it very readable with the awesome sans-serif font. The OMC is more orange and the sans serif font for me isn't readable at all but I do read on it but it takes me awhile to make out the words it isn't dyslexic friendly.
I'm curious about why Scribd's font is more readable for you. I like the font in Overdrive because it's very plain and have some trouble with the font that Scribd uses. Some letters are misshapen - the h, m, n, and u all look off to me.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #69
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I'm curious about why Scribd's font is more readable for you. I like the font in Overdrive because it's very plain and have some trouble with the font that Scribd uses. Some letters are misshapen - the h, m, n, and u all look off to me.
I find uniform fonts very hard to make out. I am Dyslexic. I find serif fonts even harder with some exceptions. Fonts like Trebuchet, Lucida and Amasis work very good for me. The unknown sans-serif font Scrid uses is very readable I am not having luck finding it yet. Surely someone knows...

It's good to have distinct looking letters in a font when you have Dyslexia it helps you identify the letters so you can read faster. Too much distortion though is just as bad so I have to find a font that is just right and doesn't dance or move around or blur together.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #70
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I find uniform fonts very hard to make out. I am Dyslexic. I find serif fonts even harder with some exceptions. Fonts like Trebuchet, Lucida and Amasis work very good for me. The unknown sans-serif font Scrid uses is very readable I am not having luck finding it yet. Surely someone knows...

It's good to have distinct looking letters in a font when you have Dyslexia it helps you identify the letters so you can read faster. Too much distortion though is just as bad so I have to find a font that is just right and doesn't dance or move around or blur together.
I have trouble with serif fonts because they have too much extra stuff in the letters that aren't really a normal part of a letter as far as I am concerned. It seems to take extra time for me to decipher the letters when they don't look like normal letters to me.

I've always wondered if I was dyslexic - I had some trouble in school in the early grades, but not later. I also mix up right and left, up and down, before and after - pretty much any words that are opposites. Most people know to translate if what I am saying seems backwards then it probably is backwards. But then I read that dyslexia is mostly reading.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #71
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I like the OverDrive app because it eliminates the need for a computer to get books to my Kindle 4; though I never read on the app. It's a check out tool.
Can't you just use the browser, either the tablet/smartphone browser or the one on the Kindle itself?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I have trouble with serif fonts because they have too much extra stuff in the letters that aren't really a normal part of a letter as far as I am concerned. It seems to take extra time for me to decipher the letters when they don't look like normal letters to me.

I've always wondered if I was dyslexic - I had some trouble in school in the early grades, but not later. I also mix up right and left, up and down, before and after - pretty much any words that are opposites. Most people know to translate if what I am saying seems backwards then it probably is backwards. But then I read that dyslexia is mostly reading.
Dyslexia has many forms. Most people who has Dyslexia has other similar types of problems.like the left and right mix up. I have that so much I can't drive. Well I could drive but I wont risk other people's lives before I tell my brain hit the brake but hit the gas instead. I have a real hard time with numbers as well and my speech I jumble my words too and it drives my educated husband nuts. He will correct me till I get it right. Writing is another form. I use spell checkers and edit my posts many times as my brain may not see what I am typing till I step back and check it a few minutes later.

Dyslexia is such a broad term we use because the other terms aren't really known well by others.

What might work for me may not work for others. You just keep trying different techniques and find what works best.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Can't you just use the browser, either the tablet/smartphone browser or the one on the Kindle itself?
Apps are much easier to use.

As to the browser on the Kindle 4, it's a time consuming nightmare to navigate and I never use it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:33 PM   #74
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Dyslexia has many forms. Most people who has Dyslexia has other similar types of problems.like the left and right mix up. I have that so much I can't drive. Well I could drive but I wont risk other people's lives before I tell my brain hit the brake but hit the gas instead. I have a real hard time with numbers as well and my speech I jumble my words too and it drives my educated husband nuts. He will correct me till I get it right. Writing is another form. I use spell checkers and edit my posts many times as my brain may not see what I am typing till I step back and check it a few minutes later.

Dyslexia is such a broad term we use because the other terms aren't really known well by others.

What might work for me may not work for others. You just keep trying different techniques and find what works best.
Thanks for the info. Mine is only bad enough to make people laugh at what I say when it gets really funny . Like the time I complained about being stuck in traffic IN FRONT of a big truck instead of BEHIND the truck. I had no idea I said that until I was told.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #75
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Apps are much easier to use.

As to the browser on the Kindle 4, it's a time consuming nightmare to navigate and I never use it.
Well, if the only goal was to not depend on the computer... but I suppose a non-touch Kindle would be a nightmare, fair enough.

But don't you still need to go to a browser? In order to connect the loan to your Amazon account?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote