Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Fed up with the bugs not fed up!
Fed up with the bugs! 30 32.97%
Neutral no opinion or no comment 21 23.08%
Not fed up it works great for all things! 40 43.96%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Kobo is Japanese. I don't agree with the second part either
Kobo is not Japanese. The current owner is Rakuten which is a Japanese company but Kobo is still located in Toronto, ON.

As for the second part? Assuming you are referring to the comments about hardware quality, perhaps you should supply more information as to which ereaders you consider as having better hardware. Of the ereaders I've owned, the Kobo ereaders have not lagged the field in hardware quality.

As for the poll that JAck is running in this thread, I'm not bothering to vote -- as usual, his poll questions are far too simplistic. An item such as "there are bugs but they seldom interfere with my ability to read" or "there are bugs but Kobo has corrected many of them with firmware updates".

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #17
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm going to abstain from voting, but there are a few serious bugs left to be fixed. At the moment the still way too long delay when starting up with a bunch of books on the external SDHC is a pretty huge one.

If they just simply restricted New ebooks to be added to only one directory -then scanned into the Db and saved appropriately, and restricted the deletion of any ebooks so that it must be done through the database they could eliminate the need to scan a large collection of ebooks on the SDHC every time the unit is powered up to determine if anything had changed... Simple, no? Couple it with a [Scan Everything] button for the occasional screwup and all would be better, if not well.

For mature, third or fourth generation hardware, the software needs an overhaul to eliminate excessive startup delays.

This one is more subjective, but an interface where the Main or Home screen is in a constant state of flux is just plain confusing. A configurable interface is fine, preferred in fact, but there should be an element of solidity and one should experience a sense of familiarity on the home screen. Tiles that come and go, or that don't allow for dismissal are mistakes. Further, the text seems a little small on the Glo's home screen, likely because it was designed for the Aura HD home screen... This is not Horse Shoes or Hand Grenades. Close, is not good enough.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #18
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I would choose a fourth alternative, something like "I'm not fed up, but I really wish the FW was less buggy".
I'm with Taming; very few (if any) of the bugs affect me, but I'd like it to be 100% just because I don't like people complaining of the bugs all the time!
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 AM   #19
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've had my aura for about 3 months now, it updated the first time (to the fw of that moment, i think 2.6.1) and I kept it like that, I don't use the wifi/kobo app so it didn't go to 2.8.
Anyway, I have not found bugs yet... I mean, I sideload books with zero problems, I read, I adjust font, line and all that to what I like, battery is good, hw is great, I like receiving the reading life awards, I love the reading status, general and in every kepub... Ah maybe the only minor bug I've had a couple of times was the double page turn, but really it was nothing.
I'm positively impressed and happy with it (for now) XD
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #20
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I am 95% happy with my Glo with fw 2.8.1, only a few bugs affect me and those are either very minor or easily worked around.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #21
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm not fed up; I'm actually moderately impressed by the last firmware release. There are things that need fixing, but on the whole, the way I have things set up, they don't affect my reading experience. There are also UI things I'd like to be a little different, and I'd overall like there to be more options (perhaps as buried "Advanced" options) to tweak the user experience.

So no, it doesn't work perfectly for all things, but I'm not fed up; and I think the hardware is best in class.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #22
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm fed up with the firmware bugs too. Kobo doesn't seem to be interested in fixing bugs or gives it the lowest possible priority. While all of their current slate of ereaders use the same firmware.
So you already now that the new Aura 6" inherits all of the known bugs. Alright then, maybe some (one or two) bugs are fixed. But don't count on it. Kobos "improvements" seems totally focused on the non-reading experiences.
Yes, they are working on "epub3", yeah right. I'm sure they do, just as any other ereader brand does. But this doesn't mean they don't have to improve current epub2 support or kepub issues.

I like Metazoa, he was (is) able to fix lots of issues that Kobo couldn't without having access to the source code.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #23
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I'm not fed up; I'm actually moderately impressed by the last firmware release. There are things that need fixing, but on the whole, the way I have things set up, they don't affect my reading experience. There are also UI things I'd like to be a little different, and I'd overall like there to be more options (perhaps as buried "Advanced" options) to tweak the user experience.

So no, it doesn't work perfectly for all things, but I'm not fed up; and I think the hardware is best in class.
I am with you 100 percent on ability to user tweak the experience. This would seem to be the 1 most important addition/fix (depending on how you view it) that Kobo could do. I just wish they would at least listen to the users. Maybe its time to change out the beta testers to a new group and see if the results change.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I voted neutral. I am frustrated in that I'm using/supporting 3 different Kobo's with different firmware versions, and it is a pain remembering the particulars of each device.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Maybe its time to change out the beta testers to a new group and see if the results change. Jack
There is no issue that is reported here that is also not reported via the beta, I sometimes don't know about or fully understand an issue until I read it here, but I know that I have often gone on to report what I have learned here. There are other beta members with mad tech skills (which I definitely don't have). Their testing and reporting is amazing and very detailed.

You have now gratuitously attacked the developers and the members of the beta. Creating a hostile environment here seems counter-productive. I know it makes me less likely to spend anytime on the board. It may also be why Kobo developers (who actually do read the board) are less likely to write here than they were in the past.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #26
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm not denying that bugs exist, but they seem to steer clear of me so I really have nothing to complain about. So far I've had more troubles with my (PRS+ free) 650.

However no device is perfect, as far as I can tell the ones made by Kobo meet my needs. But one man's meat is another man's poison
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
There is no issue that is reported here that is also not reported via the beta, I sometimes don't know about or fully understand an issue until I read it here, but I know that I have often gone on to report what I have learned here. There are other beta members with mad tech skills (which I definitely don't have). Their testing and reporting is amazing and very detailed.

You have now gratuitously attacked the developers and the members of the beta. Creating a hostile environment here seems counter-productive. I know it makes me less likely to spend anytime on the board. It may also be why Kobo developers (who actually do read the board) are less likely to write here than they were in the past.
Sure, you can interpret that way. But I don't think that developers or beta testers are that sensitive to a negative comment and I understand if they don't like it.
As we don't know or read/hear anything about future firmware developments (some secrecy or discrecy necessery) and bug fixes (no secrecy or discrecy necessery) it is understandable that users start looking for bug fixes or solutions and start reporting all kinds of bugs and hoping that Kobo picks it up and fix it. Or use the Kobo community to supply a fix or work-around existing bugs.
As I'm not part of a beta group I don't know if Kobo communicates more openly or acknowledge bugs within the beta group.
Who reports bugs (developers, beta testers or users) doesn't matter to me. As long as developers are able to replicate it.

Kobo developers may acknowledge
  • a bug does exists (minor or major); A "real" bug is a bug (no discussion about if or what a bug is)
  • a bug exists and needs to be fixed (higher priority bugs; but priority is arbitrary)
  • a bug exists and needs to be fixed but the bug is much more complicated than it initially appeared to be)
  • recognize a that bug exists and needs to be fixed but Kobo development policy/priorities are elsewhere (bug on hold/postponed or abandoned)
  • any other reasons/company restraints why it seems (at least from the outside) that bugs are not going to be fixed

We do know
  • the firmware is (basically) the same on all e ink reading devices
  • and that's why new devices inherit all existing bugs (if not fixed with a firmware update)
  • Kobos current track record of bug fixes
  • Kobos non communication about bugs and fixes (hopefully this is different within the beta group)

And I know nothing is perfect.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I'm fed up with the firmware bugs too. Kobo doesn't seem to be interested in fixing bugs or gives it the lowest possible priority. While all of their current slate of ereaders use the same firmware.
So you already now that the new Aura 6" inherits all of the known bugs. Alright then, maybe some (one or two) bugs are fixed. But don't count on it. Kobos "improvements" seems totally focused on the non-reading experiences.
Yes, they are working on "epub3", yeah right. I'm sure they do, just as any other ereader brand does. But this doesn't mean they don't have to improve current epub2 support or kepub issues.

I like Metazoa, he was (is) able to fix lots of issues that Kobo couldn't without having access to the source code.
Well, considering the new Aura 6" is using a new firmware, we don't actually know it has all the same bugs. It may even end up being a whole new release, not just another point release. We'll have to wait and see.

The reality is that the number of people complaining about bugs with Kobo devices is a tiny, tiny fraction of the Kobo user base. I know tons of people with Kobo devices that have never had a problem with them and are happy as clams with them. The only things that are truly "bugs" that Metazoa has fixed is the long paragraph bug and the wi-fi insomnia (which I never noticed myself). Everything else is personal preferences and hacks.

Truthfully, the 2.8.1 firmware is probably one of the best of the 2.x generation. I've had very few problems (just the occasional long paragraph and problems opening books with embedded fonts -- but not all, just some), and have definitely found it smooth sailing for the most part.

All that being said, the unification of the firmware across devices is a good thing. It will make it far easier for Kobo to update features and fix bugs across their whole line-up instead of having to test and modify fixes based on each individual firmware version. If it hasn't been obvious, over the last 6-12 months Kobo has been reorganizing itself to present a new brand image. Their efforts will totally make it easier for them to begin polishing up the software side of things to get it up to par with their strong hardware offerings. I think we'll see decent movement on some long-standing bugs heading into the new year with a lot of the reorganizing finished and the ability to now focus on moving ahead.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #29
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
I only really care about bugs that directly interfer with my reading with EPUBs. So, i count for nothing the ugly tiles, the clumsy way and countless taps you need to do the simplest action.

1. Long paragraph bug lasting forever is a shame.
2. Non hierarchical display for TOC
3. when I have three pages in my library, I must select 2 and 3 to turn pages...

Last edited by roger64; 09-09-2013 at 09:57 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried swiping left or right or up or down on the library listing?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote