Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
superste2201
superste2201 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Kindle 4 - Best method of converting PDF

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I have googled/searched for how to convert pdf to kindle format with a lot of different results (some working better than others).

All the methods I have tried (mobicreator, k2pdfopt, pdfread and just emailing myself @kindle.com) have been rather poor.

What is the best way to convert PDF to kindle?
superste2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Welcome
this depends on your pdfs structure.
briss? calibre?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by superste2201 View Post

There isn't one. Looking for a good way is futile; the best you can do is to look for the methods (and there are many and the vary from PDF to PDF) that are the least bad.

The bottom line is that it's a matter of trial-and-terror. With each original you'll find the least bad conversion requires a somewhat different technique than with any other. What works for one won't necessarily work well for the next.

Add calibre to you kit of tools and read the sticky in the calibre "conversion" forum here at MR and read through some of the threads. Also add Sigil, an ePub editor, as often the best approach involves converting the PDF to ePub and fixing the errors in Sigil before converting the repaired ePub to MOBI.

Last edited by dwig; 11-30-2011 at 07:49 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Convert it to html, and then convert it to mobi (I guess) using calibre. I convert to epub but kindle doesn't support it. Strip out images if you can. They get in the way.

If the pdf is an image (i.e. non-text), what I do is dump the pdf to a series of jpgs, then zip them, then alter the suffix to .cbz and convert that in calibre. Again I convert to epub. Not sure how well it would work with mobi.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
whoever
Enthusiast
whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!whoever , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Windows XP
Book is a form of art, not lumps of alphabets. Convert to DX!
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
Book is a form of art, not lumps of alphabets. Convert to DX!
Great... another new format?

DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by superste2201 View Post
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I have googled/searched for how to convert pdf to kindle format with a lot of different results (some working better than others).

All the methods I have tried (mobicreator, k2pdfopt, pdfread and just emailing myself @kindle.com) have been rather poor.

As others said there is no best way.

I find Acrobat Pro works 90% of the time. I can just export to html 3.2 and what doesn't work with it I use Mobipocket creator to make the html. Once I have a html file I then clean up the html document in Word to get a good readable copy.

If you have Abbyy 11 it does really good on OCR converting. You can use that method to get a good editable copy in Word.

Once it's cleaned up Calibre does the rest.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
superste2201
superste2201 began at the beginning.

Thanks everyone,

Calibre is a really nice piece of software, and seems to format the best.

I only read books about web programming which have snippets of code that most software destroys the formatting of, but calibre seems to format them well.
superste2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #9
AgiZ
AgiZ began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I did a lot of research some half a year or a bit more ago.

What i found is to convert PDF into HTML with Mobipocket Creator then convert HTML into MOBI with Calibre.

I have done this with many books and got good results with next to no work.

Hope it helps
AgiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
juandiegov
juandiegov began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgiZ View Post
I did a lot of research some half a year or a bit more ago.

What i found is to convert PDF into HTML with Mobipocket Creator then convert HTML into MOBI with Calibre.

I have done this with many books and got good results with next to no work.

Hope it helps
Did you have any problems with pictures or footnotes?
juandiegov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
My way wich works Great in 99% of the time (some fonts somehow dont work with mobipocet creator i use abby finereader 9 wich takes way longer then mobipocketcreator but is just best with alot of pictures and stuff)
So my way is :

1.Bris : Crop that side Numbers
2.Mobipocket Creator : get a nice and clean Html File
3.Sigil : Ebook Editor. with Regular Expression and a bit Coding expierince you clean up ALOT of errors and get a almost perfect ebook in a few quick Steps. i list them at the bottom if your intrested in trying. Safe the Epub
4. Calibre Converting, 'Metadata Edititng, Transfering etc

Sigil Steps

1. open html
2. push F11 (Code view. dont leave it till the end)
3 push Ctrl+H
now check that the replace is set to REGULAR EXPRESSIONS. then just copy and paste the following commands and replace all

(<p class="( |sgc-\d){0,3}">(\s*|\S*){1,15}</p>)
replacewith
\1</a>

(<b>(\s*|\S*){1,10}</b></p>)
replacewith
\1</a>

([^(.|?|!|<|>|«|"|:|“)])</p>\s*<p>
replacewith
\1SPACE
dont write out the space here, do it

([^(.|?|!|<|>|«|"|:|“)])<br />\s
replacewith
\1LEERZEICHEN

<br />
replacewith
</p><p>

5. Switch back to book view with F9 and watch what youve done (&and save it ^^)
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceuse View Post
My way wich works Great in 99% of the time (some fonts somehow dont work with mobipocet creator i use abby finereader 9 wich takes way longer then mobipocketcreator but is just best with alot of pictures and stuff)
So my way is :

1.Bris : Crop that side Numbers
2.Mobipocket Creator : get a nice and clean Html File
3.Sigil : Ebook Editor. with Regular Expression and a bit Coding expierince you clean up ALOT of errors and get a almost perfect ebook in a few quick Steps. i list them at the bottom if your intrested in trying. Safe the Epub
4. Calibre Converting, 'Metadata Edititng, Transfering etc

Sigil Steps

1. open html
2. push F11 (Code view. dont leave it till the end)
3 push Ctrl+H
now check that the replace is set to REGULAR EXPRESSIONS. then just copy and paste the following commands and replace all

(<p class="( |sgc-\d){0,3}">(\s*|\S*){1,15}</p>)
replacewith
\1</a>

(<b>(\s*|\S*){1,10}</b></p>)
replacewith
\1</a>

([^(.|?|!|<|>|«|"|:|“)])</p>\s*<p>
replacewith
\1SPACE
dont write out the space here, do it

([^(.|?|!|<|>|«|"|:|“)])<br />\s
replacewith
\1LEERZEICHEN

<br />
replacewith
</p><p>

5. Switch back to book view with F9 and watch what youve done (&and save it ^^)
Thanks for the regex! You should upgrade to Abbyy 11 it works so much better then version 9. I upgraded for like $99 and it's wonderful! Now it hardly ever makes a mistake. the OCR engine v11 has is amazing! I use it on my topaz books because it works so much better then the other method.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom
You should upgrade to Abbyy 11 it works so much better then version 9. I upgraded for like $99 and it's wonderful!
I must say I'm very impressed with Abbyy v11 compared to the v9 I was using. I've noticed a huge decrease in scannos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceuse
I can work out what most of your regular expressions are designed to achieve, but you might want to consider adding notes as to what they're designed to correct. I can't recommend anybody clicking "replace all" on untested regex.

Some of those look handy (thanks), but I don't think I'm nuts about this one:
Code:
<br />
replacewith
</p><p>
There's a lot of valid <br />'s in my code that I wouldn't want to eliminate. That one looks like potential disaster to me.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-01-2011 at 06:33 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #14
Ceuse
Ceuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it isCeuse knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 4 Non Touch & Kindle Keyboard
Those Regex work only realy well when the html was created with MobiConverter. there are others for abby finereader

also i just copy/pasted those regex from another thread i found wich has bunch of methods for converting (also regex for abby converted Files and with omnipage).

Problem is that its a german forum/thread so i just copied the regex without the descriptions or anything if you are able to read german / are willing to use a translator on it heres the Link were i shamlessly stole everthing

http://www.boerse.bz/boerse/dokument...umwandeln.html

Ps : the thread is a bit tricky structured, you need to klick like 2 links to get to the regex, and to be able to click on the links you need to be loged in so here is the direct direct link to the regex for mobipocketcreator with german descriptions http://www.boerse.bz/boerse/dokument...ml#post3117619

PPS : also heres the (german) description i use with Finereader 10 it has a lot of pictures so i think this one will work well for you guys too
https://docs.google.com/document/pub...3OS6r6LUf5nSN0

To aby finereader 11 : the thread guy said abby fine reader 11 does not work well at the moment because acording to thread guy finereader recocnises in version 11 difrent fonts and text passages wrong wich kills his regex operations

Last edited by Ceuse; 12-02-2011 at 04:39 AM.
Ceuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #15
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I use pdftoepub by DNAML. It is good for removing headers, footers. Result looks nice. Easy to use, there are some optional steps for advanced users. It's free now.

The only downside would be that you need to convert individual files.

I used finereader a lot for school work. It's a great program if you need to have text from pictures/scans. But it does make a lot of mistakes. Maybe with English language it works better, less complicated characters.

Will have to check it out again.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convert, kindle 4, pdf