Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Flypoppa
Flypoppa began at the beginning.

Device: Nintendo DSL. G3 Kindle
What format is Kindle?

I am thinking of getting a Kindle in the near future. Can anyone tell me what format is the text, if that is the correct discription?
I have ebooks that are in .exe, .lib, txt, ect, that I have read on my present readers.
I am hoping/wondering if I would be able to change formats of the ebooks that I have to the Kindle one.
Flypoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
As long as your files are DRM free, you can use Calibre to convert the files to .mobi and load them on the Kindle. Not sure I've ever seen an ebook in .exe format, that is an executable file.

Last edited by RonF; 09-16-2010 at 11:00 AM.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Kindle format is MOBI, and Calibre can convert many formats to MOBI for you. Note that if the ebooks have DRM (are encrypted) then you will need to strip the DRM before format shifting via Calibre. Apprentice Alf's Blog has a good summary of DRM stripping capabilities.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
Flypoppa
Flypoppa began at the beginning.

Device: Nintendo DSL. G3 Kindle
Thanks for the quick responce and answer. Ooops. Sorry RonF A mis-type on the .exe. You are of course correct.
I already use Calibre for swaping formats.
Flypoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I am thinking of getting a Kindle in the near future. Can anyone tell me what format is the text, if that is the correct discription?
I have ebooks that are in .exe, .lib, txt, ect, that I have read on my present readers.
I am hoping/wondering if I would be able to change formats of the ebooks that I have to the Kindle one.
You don't need to convert files with a .txt extension; you can import them directly. You can also import .pdf files and Mobipocket files (.mobi & .prc) as long as they don't contain DRM. See locations 1790-1801 in the User's Guide for more information.

Rich text files (.rtf), Word documents, and HTML documents must be converted before transfering to your Kindle.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
The "native" Kindle format is actually .azw which is Amazon's version of .mobi. (Amazon owns Mobipocket, which developed the .mobi format.) I read somewhere, probably on MobileRead, that .azw, .mobi, and .prc files are identical and the only difference is the suffix.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
The "native" Kindle format is actually .azw which is Amazon's version of .mobi. (Amazon owns Mobipocket, which developed the .mobi format.) I read somewhere, probably on MobileRead, that .azw, .mobi, and .prc files are identical and the only difference is the suffix.
And yet the Kindles can't read drm'ed .mobi?
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
No reader can read files containing DRM for another reader.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
And MobiPocket Reader used to support Kindle but no longer does. Go figure.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote