Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
ppoo
Connoisseur
ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ppoo writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Touch
Error when compiling screen, target arm-none-eabi

$ ./configure --target=arm-none-eabi --disable-tests --disable-failing-tests --disable-gtktest
this is screen version 4.0.3
checking for prefix by checking for screen... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output... a.exe
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables... .exe
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for library containing strerror... none required
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
configure: checking for buggy tools...
- sh is 'GNU bash, version 4.1.10(4)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)'.
- sed is 'GNU sed version 4.2.1'.
checking if a system-wide socket dir should be used... yes
checking for the socket dir... (eff_uid ? "/tmp/uscreens" : "/tmp/screens")
configure: checking for MIPS...
configure: checking for Ultrix...
configure: checking for butterfly...
configure: checking for POSIX.1...
configure: checking for System V...
configure: checking for sequent/ptx...
configure: checking SVR4...
checking for ANSI C header files... no
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
configure: checking for Solaris 2.x...
configure: checking BSD job jontrol...
- you don't have jobcontrol
configure: checking setreuid...
configure: checking seteuid...
configure: checking select...
configure: checking select with -lnet -lnsl...
configure: error: !!! no select - no screen

I can't find on Google.
ppoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Try: man select

Hint: requires #include <sys/select.h> in an FHS compliant system (which the Kindles are not).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Your toolchain is broken. Or rather, as I would guess, working but made for something entirely different. "arm-none-eabi" looks like a barebone toolchain, typically used for programming for microcontroller platforms and the like. You should use a toolchain targetting a glibc/Linux based system.

But compiling this yourself might become a bit of a hassle anyway, since GNU screen has some more dependencies. My suggestions are: * use something ready-made (debian, optware), or * have a look at tmux (less dependencies, similar functionality regarding multiplexing)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try: man select

Hint: requires #include <sys/select.h> in an FHS compliant system (which the Kindles are not).
Any decent glibc-based system (or even any POSIX compatible system) - which the Kindle is - brings an implementation of select(). Granted though: the Kindle does not bring header files. The toolchain should, however.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Hawhill: Very correct. I was typing in a hurry this morning.

Some toolchains are shipped with a 3-tuple name, some with a 4-tuple name with different implications for the trailing field when: "-eabi".

But I suspect that your first answer is the O.P.'s problem -
the include <sys/***> does not exist on a standalone tool chain (its standalone, no: "sys" toolchain).

We have both hosted and standalone toolchains in the DIY-KeK resource pool.
A build -56 and -57 as I recall, easy to pick the wrong one.
But since the O.P. shows a 3-tuple name - the O.P. is probably using a "Distro" tool chain and all bets are off on which one they are using.
Unless they do a: gcc -dump-machine for us.

Last edited by knc1; 09-14-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
err. I have screen I think. In fact I already posted it somewhere???

I'll have a look

EDIT: Attached.

built for a 3.x

(yep, just like in the the film )

[root@kindle qt]# screen --help
Quote:
Use: screen [-opts] [cmd [args]]
or: screen -r [host.tty]

Options:
-a Force all capabilities into each window's termcap.
-A -[r|R] Adapt all windows to the new display width & height.
-c file Read configuration file instead of '.screenrc'.
-d (-r) Detach the elsewhere running screen (and reattach here).
-dmS name Start as daemon: Screen session in detached mode.
-D (-r) Detach and logout remote (and reattach here).
-D -RR Do whatever is needed to get a screen session.
-e xy Change command characters.
-f Flow control on, -fn = off, -fa = auto.
-h lines Set the size of the scrollback history buffer.
-i Interrupt output sooner when flow control is on.
-l Login mode on (update /var/run/utmp), -ln = off.
-list or -ls. Do nothing, just list our SockDir.
-L Turn on output logging.
-m ignore $STY variable, do create a new screen session.
-O Choose optimal output rather than exact vt100 emulation.
-p window Preselect the named window if it exists.
-q Quiet startup. Exits with non-zero return code if unsuccessful.
-r Reattach to a detached screen process.
-R Reattach if possible, otherwise start a new session.
-s shell Shell to execute rather than $SHELL.
-S sockname Name this session <pid>.sockname instead of <pid>.<tty>.<host>.
-t title Set title. (window's name).
-T term Use term as $TERM for windows, rather than "screen".
-U Tell screen to use UTF-8 encoding.
-v Print "Screen version 4.00.03 (FAU) 23-Oct-06".
-wipe Do nothing, just clean up SockDir.
-x Attach to a not detached screen. (Multi display mode).
-X Execute <cmd> as a screen command in the specified session.
Just dump it on the FAT and run it - that's how I tested it.

Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: gz screen.tar.gz (152.2 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by twobob; 09-14-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: done it.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BAH you want it for a touch? SIGH..

Errr.... I'm not 100% what I would do to make that work.. I could rip out the build flags.

Input accepted - thanks.

EDIT: MUST GET A TOUCH TO HELP "TOUCH" USERS!
If anyone has an old one - feel free to donate it to science.
(I'm UK)

Last edited by twobob; 09-14-2012 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Donating bodies to science.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I concur with hawhill: That TC looks like a wrong pick for the device you're targeting . (And is that on a cygwin host? Brrr!).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
crap, arm-none-eabi is what i ended up with after following some guide. what would it need to get the right version, different options for the make command maybe?
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@hippy dave: What's your host system? (If it's not Linux, you're probably in for a painful experience. Investing in a Linux box/vm may be the fastest/easiest way to get something running).

If on Linux, what everyone said, or use a CodeSourcery prebuilt TC, or build one yourself using your favorite TC-building tool (we're mostly using crosstool-ng & buildroot, FWIW).

We've been over this a few times in here, but we each have our own preferred 'mix' . Being a Gentoo guy, I'm using a self-built (via ct-ng) slightly bleeding edge TC.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-14-2012 at 07:17 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

i'm on os x (32bit). been hoping to avoid having to run another os, it has felt a bit like banging my head against a brick wall tho...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy dave View Post
crap, arm-none-eabi is what i ended up with after following some guide. what would it need to get the right version, different options for the make command maybe?
If you followed that guide, look at that "helpful" make file:
Code:
cross-gcc: cross-binutils cross-gcc-first cross-newlib gcc-$(GCC_VERSION)-$(CS_BASE) multilibbash 
    mkdir -p build/gcc-final && cd build/gcc-final && \
    mkdir -p $(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/usr/include && \
    ../../gcc-$(GCC_VERSION)-$(CS_BASE)/configure            \
    --prefix=$(PREFIX) --with-pkgversion=$(PKG_VERSION)        \
    --with-bugurl=$(BUG_URL) --target=$(TARGET) $(DEPENDENCIES)    \
    --enable-languages="c,c++" --with-gnu-ld --with-gnu-as        \
    --with-newlib --disable-nls --disable-libssp            \
    --disable-shared --enable-threads --with-headers=yes        \
    --disable-libmudflap --disable-libgomp     --enable-lto        \
    --disable-libstdcxx-pch    --enable-poison-system-directories     \
    --with-sysroot="$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)"                \
    --with-build-time-tools="$(PREFIX)/$(TARGET)/bin"        \
    --enable-extra-sgxxlite-multilibs $(CS_SPECS) && \
    $(MAKE) -j$(PROCS) && \
    $(MAKE) installdirs install-target && \
    $(MAKE) install-gcc
Does that, or does that not say: --with-newlib?

Translation: "newlib" means it is a "standalone" compiler, not a "hosted" compiler for code hosted by an operating system.

Perhaps the description here is clearer:
http://knetconnect.com/KeK/KeK_refer...bsection-B.1.2

Translation:
Change your makefile to build a (e)glibc based compiler not a newlib based compiler.

Note: There are ways to build "hosted" code with a "standalone" compiler but that is far too complicated when you can just build what you need.

Or:
You might want to try crosstool-ng - - I am pretty sure it will run on Mac, check the documentation on their home page.

Or:
Do your builds in Linux VM on your Mac - then you can just use the posted binary tool chains.

Last edited by knc1; 09-14-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #13
hippy dave
Zealot

ok great info, thanks
Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
hippy dave
Zealot

you know, maybe i will try out a linux vm, i like the sound of using pre-built tools especially as i couldn't get scratchbox2 to build...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
twobob

Prebuilt TC FTW!