Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
FluxAugur
FluxAugur began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe
Stuck in Firmware Update! Help!

My new Pocket eDGe is stuck in firmware update mode. It didn't pick up the update.zip while I was trying to update it.

Now I can't figure out how to power cycle it.

Please help!
FluxAugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Have you tried poking the reset hole with a paperclip? Sometimes that's all it takes.

Welcome to MobileRead and the eDGe forum! The reset hole is next to the USB port, and when you press the straightened paperclip in, be sure to do so gently!

Hope it all works out.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
FluxAugur

I thought I had done that (tried poking it with the stylus tip), but evidently that didn't go deep enough. Paperclip did the trick! Thanks (and I feel really dumb)
Old 09-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
FluxAugur

Ok, so I successfully got it to reboot... tried the firmware update again several times ( using the same firmware file and the same USB drive that I used for the other pocket edge) and it still won't get past the second dot to the "updating software" screen. Any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
FluxAugur

Got it booted into Dingo (bypassing setup using the "4 corners" trick). Plugged in the USB drive and verified that it could 1) read the drive (yes), and 2) that update.zip is present (yes). However it still won't get to the "updating software" screen when holding Menu+Rotate.

Also, can someone tell me the differences between the following firmware files?

pocketedgeermineupdate.zip
p-update.zip.ermine-0.9.zip
p-update.golden.zip
PocketEdge_updates_by_Mark_Rehorst.zip

Sorry for the multiple posts, I just saw the edit button

Edit: Finally got it to update from an SD card. Weird that one would use USB and the other wouldn't. I'd still like some info on the various firmwares available.

Thanks! Now I'm off to get these set up for my mom and li'l sis.

Last edited by FluxAugur; 09-18-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Glad you got it to work, Flux!

I hope you had less trouble with the other 2 units and are all having fun exploring the possibilities of your PEs now.

I don't know the difference between the 4 files you list, except I think the update.golden.zip might be a downgrade back to Dingo for people who need/want to go backwards for whatever reason.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
As Filark says the p-update.golden.zip is the file you need if you have problems with Ermine. It is a full system install of version 1.6 and will wipe everything on the PE (or EE with the correct file). The others should be the Ermine update hosted by various people.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
FluxAugur

Yeah, I'm really enjoying them so far, getting everything set up so that they'll be easy to use for the non-tech folks in my family who'll be receiving them as gifts.

My main question about the firmware files was the difference between the regular ermine updates and the one my Mark Rehorst (as the regular ones are around 140ish MB and Mark's is upwards of 380 MB).

If anyone has installed this version and knows the pros/cons/differences, it would be much appreciated.