Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #31
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Thank you all for your feedback. I spent this weekend tuckling thumbnail/preview issues and made no major progress.

kranu, a good suggestion. One problem, however, is that the "Installation Successful" would appear in some fixed languages. At the moment, the 2 seconds progress window (BTW you should have a ver fast PC; it stays approx. 5-6 seconds on mine) shows messages in whatever language that your Windows is in, because those messages are actually from Windows itself. Any customized message needs to be supplied by me.

I can write English and Japanese message, and it will be a good start?
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #32
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alissa View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. I spent this weekend tuckling thumbnail/preview issues and made no major progress.

kranu, a good suggestion. One problem, however, is that the "Installation Successful" would appear in some fixed languages. At the moment, the 2 seconds progress window (BTW you should have a ver fast PC; it stays approx. 5-6 seconds on mine) shows messages in whatever language that your Windows is in, because those messages are actually from Windows itself. Any customized message needs to be supplied by me.

I can write English and Japanese message, and it will be a good start?
Yes, that's a good start. If you want to, you can include a green checkmark, which I think is universal for "success".
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #33
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs up New release 1.1.1166 is available

Hi, all

After almost three weeks blank, I released a new version of my MobiHandler program. It is numbered as 1.1.1166. As before, it is on SkyDrive at the same page: http://cid-88858bc052aea782.office.l...ic/MobiHandler

This release is a collection of bug fixes; mostly of the installer issues. Changes to the MobiHandler program itself are minor. The most significant change in this release might be a message box shown at the end of installation process, as suggested by kranu. (Thank you for the good suggestion.)

As always, I love to hear from you. Have fun, and keep feedbacks coming!

Alissa

Last edited by Alissa; 04-24-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #34
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I would love to be able to use this program! I do have some questions though:

With this program, can I go to My Kindle Content and see thumbnails of the books? Or do I use it with my Kindle tethered to the computer?

If the answer to the first is yes, is the program automatic? In other words, after I install it I just go to MKC folder and I will see the thumbnails? Or do I have to do something else to see them?

I apologize for the simplistic questions! =}
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Installed new version and no more Trojan warnings!

Installs perfectly. Now works on Vista 64 all AZW files show thumbnails and mobi tab as intended. Would love to see it work on plain mobi files I have in my Mobipocker reader folder. Right now for mobi books with the extension mobi only the custom columns work in both 32 or 64.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #36
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I downloaded it, but I'm still not sure how to use it - ?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #37
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It works in Windows Explorer. You can view thumbnails and it will show the covers or in the properties box it has a new tab called Mobi and it will show the metadata of that file. You can always add Authors and Title columns and it will display that info in Windows Explorer.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #38
Alissa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
With this program, can I go to My Kindle Content and see thumbnails of the books? Or do I use it with my Kindle tethered to the computer?
You can see cover images of you ebooks stored in your "My Kindle Content" folder as well as those in a Kindle Device connected with a USB cable.

As blossom wrote, MobiHandler is not an independent application program but a Shell Extension that is something like a plug-in to the Windows itself. I guess that's the point you were confused.

After installing the MobiHandler, just open your "My Kindle Content" folder with Explorer as always, e.g., by choosing "Documents" (or "My Document" on Windows XP) in the Start menu and double clicking on the "My Kindle Content". You may need to adjust the "View" of your folder window to see thumbnails. (See the first screen shot below.)

If you still don't see cover images, please try cleaning up your thumbnails cache. You can do it by choosing "Computer" in the Start menu, right-clicking on the "C:" drive, choosing "Properties", clicking on the "Disk Cleanup" button there, and click "OK" on the "Disk Cleanup" window. Make sure "Thumbnails" is checked on the "Disk Cleanup" window. (See the second screen shot below.) After the cleanup, close the folder window and reopen "My Kindle Content".

I know that thumbnail cache cleanup should be automatic, especially after a new install of MobiHandler. The problem is that I don't know how to do it from installer... If anybody here knows how to do it programmatically, please tech me. I very much love to know that!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View2.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	70381   Click image for larger version

Name:	cleanup2.png
Views:	595
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	70382  

Last edited by Alissa; 04-24-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Corrected a typo
Old 04-24-2011, 02:25 AM   #39
Alissa
Connoisseur

Exclamation MobiHandler doesn't work with K4PC 1.5

I've just noticed that my MobiHandler doesn't work with recently released Amazon Kindle for PC (K4PC) version 1.5. If you install both my MobiHandler (any version) and K4PC 1.5 in a same PC, MobiHandler doesn't work.

It appears that Amazon changed the COM ProgID (an internal identifier used by Windows; not usually visible to users) for Kindle for PC, introducing File Association conflict with MobiHandler.

I'm working on fixing it. Sorry for inconvenience.

Alissa
Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #40
pendragginp
Guru

Thank you blossom and especially you, Alissa, for your special help with this.

I don't know why I can't get this to work for me. I have Vista. I know the shell is downloaded, I ran the Disk Cleanup and made sure the thumbnail cache was checked, I clicked on View and clicked on icons - and still all I can get is at best a small blue generic picture of a book next to each title. If I right click on a book and go to Properties and choose Mobi, then I can see a thumbnail, but not otherwise. What am I missing? Something obvious, no doubt! =}
Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #41
Alissa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
all I can get is at best a small blue generic picture of a book next to each title. If I right click on a book and go to Properties and choose Mobi, then I can see a thumbnail, but not otherwise.
MOBI property page works but no thumbnails ... it sounds like a similar behaviour to blossom's case with MobiHandler 1.0.

Just to make sure, pendragginp, you have downloaded the version 1.1.1166, i.e., mobihandler-1-1-1166-setup.msi, don't you?
Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #42
pendragginp
Guru

Yes I did; I had downloaded the earlier version, but I uninstalled that through Programs on the Control Panel and then downloaded the new version yesterday. It does show that version as being the one on my computer. =/
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #43
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Vista is finicky. You might try clearing the thumbnail cache a few times and rebooting sometimes helps new changes to take effect.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:19 AM   #44
pendragginp
Guru

I can't remember now if I restarted after I cleared the thumbnail cache. I'll clear again and try that.

both of you.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 AM   #45
pendragginp
Guru

Well, I've gone through all the steps several times and still no joy. Ah well.

But a marvelous thing, Alissa, I do thank you, and hope to be able to use it at some point!