Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You could the Hauppauge (usb) but would need an antenna....

This one however (which I just noticed) might be what you're looking for:

I know nothing about it though...

http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_aero-m.html

Looks to have very mixed reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-1404.../dp/B00519EIAS

Last edited by kennyc; 11-18-2012 at 06:09 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #17
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
That would let me watch on my laptop, but not my Android devices. But it is a slick solution. I envisage something along the size of a pack of smokes, that connect over WiFi to any device and that has support for all major platforms. I guess I'm indulging some kind of fantasy. They are either too bulky or two platform specific.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #18
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
That would let me watch on my laptop, but not my Android devices. But it is a slick solution. I envisage something along the size of a pack of smokes, that connect over WiFi to any device and that has support for all major platforms. I guess I'm indulging some kind of fantasy. They are either too bulky or two platform specific.
Yep, I haven't seen one quite like that. You might make the suggestion to the two manufacturers above eh?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep, I haven't seen one quite like that. You might make the suggestion to the two manufacturers above eh?
It kind of surprised me, I was so sure that there would easily exist something like that already. With the popularity of iPads and smartphones, it just seems self-evident. In Japan they have what is called a One Seg, most smartphones has it built in these days. That allows you to receive digital broadcasting on your phone. I bought one in Japan, the size of travel mouse, but alas the broadcasting system is different so no reception here.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #20
kennyc

Quote:
It kind of surprised me, I was so sure that there would easily exist something like that already. With the popularity of iPads and smartphones, it just seems self-evident. In Japan they have what is called a One Seg, most smartphones has it built in these days. That allows you to receive digital broadcasting on your phone. I bought one in Japan, the size of travel mouse, but alas the broadcasting system is different so no reception here.

That's the other thing I was wondering about the broadcast bands and encoding etc.... not sure if it's the same around the world or not. I assume not....
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
That's the other thing I was wondering about the broadcast bands and encoding etc.... not sure if it's the same around the world or not. I assume not....
No, it's not. NTSC in the US; PAL in most other places.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Is that true for digital as well? I know it is for analog.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #23
kennyc

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nts_by_country
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Good question - I honestly don't know. Digital terrestrial TV in the UK uses MPEG2, I believe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I have this (link below) that I bought to watch live tv on my computer. Hauppauge also supply a little antenna and a remote control with the usb TV tuner in this kit. Works fine as long as the reception for the TV signal is strong enough for the antenna they have supplied... You can bring it with you anywhere of course, as long as you also have your laptop.
Supports these TV standards:
NTSC Analog Cable, Over the Air TV
ATSC Digital Over the Air HDTV
Clear QAM Digital Cable TV

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/produc...a_hvr950q.html
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #26
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Unfortunately that isn't the universal solution I'm looking for. I can't use that with an Asus Transformer even if it had two USB ports.
Also, an item like that is so obviously made for travel, it boggles my mind that they don't come with support for every broadcasting standard available.