Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #1
vonbonds
vonbonds is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad, Nook
Bought my wife a Nook

Hello all,

I bought my wife a Nook for her birthday today. I have an iPad but it in my opnion isn't very good for long periods of reading so I went with the Nook for her. She is a voracious reader and I love the ability of the Nook to accept our public library downloads and of course download books from BN.com. She will start using it tonight so I will have nice feedback very soon.

Anything I should know or do as a new owner? She will do the reading on it and I will be the admin to keep it properly patched .

Tom

PS. I love my iPad by the way, awesome device!
vonbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Congratulations! One of the things you should know (and it seems a few people have been having this problem) is that the Nook seems a bit fickle with the battery recharging at first. But don't panic. After a few days use, the battery and indicator will normalize - at least in my case it did. Had I known that, I wouldn't have freaked out on that first day and tried a million things to diagnose it. Also, try to fully charge it on the first charge.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread .... ?

As a new owner make sure you have a backup of the system files from the Nook, and don't forget to back up your books !!!!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Nice choice, Tom. Your wife should be exceptionally good to you for the rest of the year, at least. Good to have your company. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

Welcome to mobileread .... ?

As a new owner make sure you have a backup of the system files from the Nook, and don't forget to back up your books !!!!!!
I wanted to backup Nook system files but nothing showed up in Windows explorer except for empty directories....
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
I wanted to backup Nook system files but nothing showed up in Windows explorer except for empty directories....
I don't think you can back up the nook system files without softrooting it first - plus there really isn't much you want to back up if you just want to restore to the factory default (there are firmware version 1.0 out online - google it - once you restore it to v1.0, you can always upgrade to later versions of firmware). Anyway, be sure to back up your own books.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post

Calibre for your sideloads "My Documents" and your account on BN itself will have your Barnes and Noble purchased books backed up.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
vonbonds

Thanks for the warm welcome all. How do I back it up with a Mac? I am looking that up on Google now but if you can tell me I would appreciate grizzled veteran's point of view!

Tom

PS. My wife swore up and down how she prefers paper but she is a voracious reader. I just felt an ereader would be perfect for her since she and our 2 year old son travel with me from time to time (I am in sales for a tech company) it would be simple and if she bangs out a book fast she could easily download another easily. So far 2 days into it she is hooked .
Old 07-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
... line and sinker ..... ( check the bank balance regularly!!!!! )
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***My wife swore up and down how she prefers paper but she is a voracious reader***

She might well be surprised, Vonbonds. I'd been an obsessive bookworm for almost six decades and a pro writer and editor all my working life when I got a reader eighteen months or so ago. Within a fortnight, I was a total convert. It very soon became the case that I'd only read paper if there was absolutely no alternative. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #11
vonbonds

My wife is pretty cute. For someone who swore she loved the feel of a paperback she is now complaining that the paper is a pain to turn as she finishes her last book before she dives into the Nook in earnest. She has already commented how she loves the idea of bookmarks as she often turns a page if she thinks she might want to go back to reread a section that confused her if it comes up later on again. She has seen the light! Tonight I will test out our local library online to see how I can get her books from there as well.

I am very excited for her and am thrilled I didn't force my iPad on her. I firmly believe in using the right tool for the right job and I think she has the perfect tool for her needs now. I don't read nearly as much as her and the iPad is perfect for me so in the end everyone is happy .
Old 07-12-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonbonds View Post

I am very excited for her and am thrilled I didn't force my iPad on her. I firmly believe in using the right tool for the right job and I think she has the perfect tool for her needs now. I don't read nearly as much as her and the iPad is perfect for me so in the end everyone is happy .
Vonbonds, you may want to take a look at the new B&N reader for your iPad. It would be a great way for you and your wife to share books. I enjoy reading as well and, for me, the iPad works well as an e-reader. The various themes make it easy to choose something that matches what your eyes like to look at and the new in-app brightness control works well to make reading easy on the eyes. This isn't meant as a knock on e-ink. I'm not trying to start an arguement but just wanted to make you aware of some of the new features that B&N is making available to improve your iPad reading experience.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:38 AM   #13
bookoffers
Connoisseur
bookoffers began at the beginning.

Device: NOne
Oh, how thoughtful you are.
It's wonderful, goes wherever you go and can be enjoyed on your NOOK. There are many ways how to personalized your nook.Love to hear from you soon on your personalized nook.
bookoffers is offline   Reply With Quote