Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Pol
Pol began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600SC
PRS600 frozen, will not reset

Hi all,

I am turning to our experts here. I got my device for Christmas and have been using it daily since then. I am Mac-based (os 10.6.2) and use Calibre to organize my books.

Have had zero issues with device until today. Sat down to read, opened a new ePUB, clicked page down, to get past the little "created in Calibre" icon and then froze.

The device was stuck with the little circle/arrow icon that occasionally (every minute or so) twitched to show it was thinking (this document is 8 pages long, no images).

After 20 min of this I decided to reset. I hit the reset on the bottom of the device with my stylus and now the reader is completely frozen. The arrow/circle symbol doesn't move at all.

Things I have done:
Pressed reset for 1 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec - no change

slid and held the on/off button - no change

plugged it into my Mac via usb - no change and device doesn't register on the Mac

Any suggestions? Ideas?
Thx.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Is your screen still showing the arrow/circle symbol after all this?
When mine was frozen, a reset and a slide of the power button did the trick.
How full was your battery? Maybe charging could help.
If all else fails you could try a hard reset, but be warned it will delete your content.

Quote:
WARNING: A HARD RESET WILL ERASE ALL TRANSFERRED CONTENT ON THE READER. IT WILL NOT ERASE THE BUILT-IN DICTIONARY.

1. Power off the Reader.

2. On the bottom edge of the Reader, using the stylus, press the RESET button.

3. Turn on the Reader.

4. While the screen displays Opening book... , simultaneously press and hold down the back button and the VOL + button until the Reset All screen is displayed.

NOTE: If Opening book... does not display on the screen, charge the Reader's battery for several hours before
attempting the reset process again.

5. Touch Yes to reset the Reader.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If you have the ac charger (barrel plug) I would put it on that for a few hours. Then try everything. All else fails the instructions for hard reset are above, and your next option.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
Pol
Pol began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600SC
Just an update. I was unable to power off - nothing worked. I'd slide the power button over and...nothing.

So, I set the eReader aside, went and taught a few classes, returned to my office two hours later, picked up the reader and just to test it, slid the power button to off, and...voila! It turned off, rebooted, and all was right with the world.

Guess it just needed to "breathe," eh?

Thanks to those who tried to help.
Pol is offline   Reply With Quote