Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
newbiq Q about Drop Caps and Calibre

Hello

I have a problem with Drop Caps in Calibre. Maybe I am just missing something ...

In the epub section of this board, I saw how to add Drop Caps to html - so I did. At first it didn't work, but then I saw this almost 1 year old post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Try setting the base font size to zero in the calibre conversion preferences before re-converting the file and see if that helps. (You don't need font size rescaling if your original file has good font sizes in the first place).
So I set the base font size to 0. It didn't work either, so I disabled font size rescaling, and now the drop caps look fine.

However, now I have another problem. The font on my ebook reader (Bebook 1) is too small for my taste. In the past I had the base font size set to 20 - and I thought about going bigger.
According to the ADE page numbers, I had about one ADE page on the entire screen. With the rescaling turned off, I have like 2.5 ADE pages on one screen.

So how can I get a bigger font without loosing the drop caps ? Is there a html code or css code that I should add ? Or is there something that I should change in calibre ?

Before I used drop caps, I had the base size font
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm afraid you cant do both. Drop caps in html use font size based trickery, which font size rescaling messes up
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
ok, thanks for the answer.

In that case, I will not use drop caps. It looks nice, but the rest of the text is so small ...

But then, right now, I don't have my ebook reader, anyway. I had to sent it in, because it is malfunctioning ... I can't wait to get it back.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote