Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhtq35h View Post
Yep, root folder called books. No subdirectories.
Get a new computer ? (any excuse works, right )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@rhtq35h install portable calibre, then try its auto add

If that works then uninstall the 'desktop' version of calibre that you use (64/32 bit). Then do a fresh download and install. You shouldn't lose your libraries or config, but might be best to back up - just in case

Another thing to try is to use the other 'bittedness' of calibre, i.e. if you're using the 64 bit version then try installing the 32bit version and using its auto add, vice versa if you're using 32bit.

The 32bit & 64bit versions can co-exist if you install 32 & 64 bit programs in different folders - e.g. Program Files (x86) and Program Files respectively.

There have been occasional problems reported with the 64 bit version, which appear to be file system related that have been resolved by using the 32bit version. I have no idea why this has worked, but based on user feedback it seems that it has.

===================

Another thought

Look at the Properties for one of the files you want to auto add - right click in Windows Explorer and select Properties

If there's a Security message at the bottom of the General sheet with an Unblock button, then try clicking it, the message and button should disappear. Now try putting the file into the auto add folder and start calibre.

If you're wondering, what's that all about. Its about security zones, take a deep breath and see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
ItsDaniLyn
ItsDaniLyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD
I was wondering if it will ever be possible for the "Automatic Adding" to also scan sub-directories inside the folder? I have a lot of author folders with book files inside and I know I can manually add them but it would be so much easier to add them to the automatic folder and let it do it's thing. Thanks for the great program and the frequency of the updates. I've recommended it to everyone I know with an e-reader. Keep up the good work, it is definitely appreciated! =0)
ItsDaniLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you wish to add books from sub-folders in bulk, simply right click the add books button and choose add from sub-folders. Automatic adding is never going to support sub-folders.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:41 AM   #20
ItsDaniLyn
ItsDaniLyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD
Using the Add Books button does work just fine for me but I'd like it if once it adds the books it would delete the file from the original location. Or is that possible and I'm missing it somewhere? Thanks for the response! ��
ItsDaniLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #21
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
The manual Add books does not delete the original books, and there is no setting to change that. You have to do that manually. The automatic add books also delete them. Otherwise the same books would be added again and again.

Before you delete any books, check to ensure that the books actually were added. Depending on how you have set handling of duplicates, and how you respond to prompts about duplicates, some books may not have been added.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:20 PM   #22
gardavis
Actual Member
gardavis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color Android App
I also can not get the auto add to work (Calibre 1.32). The folder is on a local drive with a simple path with no spaces (Windows 8.1). Permissions look ok. I was able to use the manual add of the books from that folder and then manually deleted them.

I have both the Calibre program and the content server running (the server should do the Auto Adds since it is always running but I am not sure if it actually does).

Thanks,
Gary Davis
gardavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardavis View Post
I also can not get the auto add to work (Calibre 1.32). The folder is on a local drive with a simple path with no spaces (Windows 8.1). Permissions look ok. I was able to use the manual add of the books from that folder and then manually deleted them.

I have both the Calibre program and the content server running (the server should do the Auto Adds since it is always running but I am not sure if it actually does).
First calibre has to be running, the content server has nothing to do with adding books. Also just because books are added while the content server is running does not mean they will show up in the content server. A content server restart may be required to have the new books show up in the content server.

All the other answers you need are in this thread. If all else fails follow post 17, if that fails refer to post 9.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:42 AM   #24
zan5hin
zan5hin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
It's because the file is read only. Worked for me
zan5hin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #25
Rob Burgess
Rob Burgess began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for Android
Hey All,
I realise that this is an oldish thread, but it came up first on a Google search :-)

In case this helps anyone else Googling the subject: When you auto add to a directory, Calibre will choke if you add too many. I'm creating a new database from a backup and if I put 500 files in there Calibre will do nothing. After 5 minutes I moved the files out and started to add them in smaller batches. 10-20 looks like a good number. I just tried 30 and it choked. It seems like an odd issue to have, but there it is.

--
Rob
Rob Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:10 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Burgess View Post
Hey All,
I realise that this is an oldish thread, but it came up first on a Google search :-)

In case this helps anyone else Googling the subject: When you auto add to a directory, Calibre will choke if you add too many. I'm creating a new database from a backup and if I put 500 files in there Calibre will do nothing. After 5 minutes I moved the files out and started to add them in smaller batches. 10-20 looks like a good number. I just tried 30 and it choked. It seems like an odd issue to have, but there it is.

--
Rob
Calibre waits until the Job is done before updating the GUI.
If you watch the folder, you might see the # of files slowly decrease.

That said, smaller batches is still a good idea
Old 03-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #27
Rob Burgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre waits until the Job is done before updating the GUI.
If you watch the folder, you might see the # of files slowly decrease.

That said, smaller batches is still a good idea
I discovered that Calibre will in fact process more files. However, what happens is that it seems to parse through the files list first before moving anything. If the file list is big enough this can take a while (even on a fast system). While it's parsing the files it appears to be doing nothing (Hello, Kovid? A popup saying "Calibre is adding a large number of books. This may take a while. Please be patient" would be awesome!).

So, you add a large number of files. Calibre sits there thinking. You look in the auto add directory and no files are moving. You wait several minutes and the number of files hasn't changed. The logical thought is that Calibre is actually not doing anything. Maybe if, when presented with a large number of files, it split them into smaller bites and started processing them in batches? Then at least you would see some action. It's hard to watch it think and know that something is happening :-)

--
Rob

Last edited by Rob Burgess; 03-09-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #28
theducks
Well trained by Cats

It is a Background task
NOT Waiting is expected, you can do other stuff in Calibre and the Task waits for free cycles.

You want it now:
Use one of the NOW type adds: Drag and Drop, Add From ...
Old 03-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none

@Rob Burgess - but for that many books I would wrap a script/batch file around the calibre command line program, calibredb add and do something else whilst it was chugging away - if I was minded I could echo a counter in the script.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:56 PM   #30
Rob Burgess

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is a Background task
NOT Waiting is expected, you can do other stuff in Calibre and the Task waits for free cycles.

You want it now:
Use one of the NOW type adds: Drag and Drop, Add From ...
Ok, it's a background task, but let the user know that it's working in the background. Calibre looks like it's doing nothing so that's what people will think it's doing.

I tried the NOW type adds and they either imported the .opf as a separate book format, or the imported book showed up without a cover. The only option that seemed to import the .opf data AND show a cover was to automatically add it from a folder. I'm sorry if that upsets you.

--
Rob