Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
djstormer
djstormer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
"Typeface" problems in KindleGen mobi

I just created a mobi file from an EPUB using KindleGen - an EPUB that passed the idpf.org validator and whose <guide>, <manifest> etc I had appropriately tweaked (mainly cover- and TOC-related) for the purpose of creating a mobi.

It seems to have come out fine except for the Typeface selection function.
The text is all <p></p> and <p> is defined in my CSS as {font-style:normal}.
If I select "condensed" the typeface shows as condensed serif. However, if I select "regular" or "sans serif," the result is the same: sans-serif. In other words, "regular" is not working.

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited by djstormer; 10-09-2012 at 05:58 AM.
djstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
AFAIK, {font-style:normal} has no effect on the font family. If you want to specify serif or sans-serif fonts for all paragraphs, you'll have to use p {font-family: serif;} or p {font-family: sans-serif;} and generate a KF8 .mobi file.
However, if you hard-code the font family, Kindle users will no longer be able to change the display font from regular to condensed or sans-serif.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
djstormer
djstormer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, {font-style:normal} has no effect on the font family.
Doitsu, thanks for your reply. I am using {font-style:normal} for all my <p></p>, but the "regular" option on my Kindle displays this particular book in sans-serif font.

All the other books on my Kindle display serif font if I select "regular." I'm wondering what I have done wrong in my CSS or tagging.
djstormer is offline   Reply With Quote