Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Kindle touch. Any news or review?

I'm thinking buy sony t1, but also want to wait for the release of the Kindle touch and decide between the two.

But I can't see any new news, videos or review and I'm having quite a temptation to buy the sony and not wait.

Have you seen any video or review about kindle touch?

greetings
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Search for "Amazon Kindle Touch" on youtube. There's a demo on there.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Also be sure to read the Sony threads in this forum concerning the T1. There are an unusually high number of negative threads on the T1. Even many of the diehard Sony fans seem to be at least a little disappointed in it. And keep in mind that Sony very rarely updates the firmware on their readers, so don't expect them to address the issues.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Also be sure to read the Sony threads in this forum concerning the T1. There are an unusually high number of negative threads on the T1. Even many of the diehard Sony fans seem to be at least a little disappointed in it. And keep in mind that Sony very rarely updates the firmware on their readers, so don't expect them to address the issues.
Yeah, I was surprised with how many negative reviews it was getting. I was looking at grabbing one for a second reader, but have since held off since the more I read and see...the less I like about the idea.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Yeah, I was surprised with how many negative reviews it was getting. I was looking at grabbing one for a second reader, but have since held off since the more I read and see...the less I like about the idea.
Same here, I had plan to get a T1 till I saw how unstable they are by all the threads in the Sony forum. I'm now getting a tablet instead but it's a shame because if it was stable it be a great reader minus the excessive flashing.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Same here, I had plan to get a T1 till I saw how unstable they are by all the threads in the Sony forum. I'm now getting a tablet instead but it's a shame because if it was stable it be a great reader minus the excessive flashing.
Thats a disappointment.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I do want to thank all of those who have already ordered a Kindle Touch. I'm waiting to hear your comments concerning your experiences. Then I'll decide if I want one.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not sure that any Kindle DX owner would feel much better about Amazon.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I do want to thank all of those who have already ordered a Kindle Touch. I'm waiting to hear your comments concerning your experiences. Then I'll decide if I want one.
I ordered the touch. Soon as I get it I'll let you know.

It is funny reading all of the comments about the T1. I also toyed with the idea of switching since I have fond memories of my old Sony reader. However the reviews have been terrible on the forum.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
For what it's worth, I have the T1 and Kindle 4, and despite what you read on the forums don't have an issue with lack of "stability" or any of those things. I do rate the T1 higher than the Kindle 4 and generally prefer to read on it instead...and items like Library Loaning via device work spectacularly on the T1, and I love the way google books is integrated.

The complaining over there seems to be encouraged by people who don't have the device, and...people turning a molehill into a mountain. Yes, I've had a crash or two since getting it at launch, but in reality it was about 20 seconds of a screen freeze followed by a dialog box requiring pushing a button that says "close." The whole process was over within 40 seconds.

Call me crazy, but I would take the minor 40 second "inconvenience" and keeping the more featured T1, over returning it and settling for something less capable. And it only started crashing because I bogged down the system by loading numerous books via microsd and didn't wait for it to finish loading before I started browsing the books. Once I learned how to better put books on the device (let it load, then go through page by page letting all the covers load individually) it's become smooth sailing. I read on it daily and haven't had a crash since.

I love the Kindle 4 (and Kindle Singles!), but recommend the T1 over it.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I had the T1 & it wasn't a mountain made of a mole hill. I had a problem with flipping pages, then freezing & having to do a reset....numerous times. I got no 20 seconds of screen freeze followed by a dialog box. And this was on more than one device.

And the complaining IS by people who have T1s. And the page flipping & freeze was just from reading a book (even the freebies put on by Sony). 40 minutes in & it would start. And I wasn't pressing hard. That kind of pressure would cause a normal pages forward.

That said I loved the T1 & will likely try again later. But I also pre-ordered a Kindle Touch weeks ago. I have Sony 350 & a Kindle3 right now. I prefer reading with a touch screen so it is my reader of choice.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I had the T1 & it wasn't a mountain made of a mole hill. I had a problem with flipping pages, then freezing & having to do a reset....numerous times. I got no 20 seconds of screen freeze followed by a dialog box. And this was on more than one device.

And the complaining IS by people who have T1s. And the page flipping & freeze was just from reading a book (even the freebies put on by Sony). 40 minutes in & it would start. And I wasn't pressing hard. That kind of pressure would cause a normal pages forward.

That said I loved the T1 & will likely try again later. But I also pre-ordered a Kindle Touch weeks ago. I have Sony 350 & a Kindle3 right now. I prefer reading with a touch screen so it is my reader of choice.
I remember reading about yours, and I suspect you were the victim of a bad batch, or possibly your reading habits aggravate some possible bug in the software. I've never had a crash while reading a book, but I usually read about an hour or so and then take a break, putting the reader to sleep etc. And I generally use buttons, although as an experiment I've switched to swipe only for the past 2 weeks - and I've still haven't had a crash yet.

I'm curious though - how many books did you have on your reader, and did you let all the covers load? I find I have to, otherwise they load in the background eating up resources and bog the system down. It sounds like a memory leak to me, and maybe putting it to sleep every so often frees up the memory..so people like me don't notice the bug. I don't know, but I tend to sideload all the books manually, and then spend about an hour (or that's what it took last time I loaded 1,200 books on internal memory atleast) going page by page so all the covers can load.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Wow, the T1 must be a real piece of crap when the guy who is trying to write a positive review says you can't read for long periods of time, use the buttons, put too many books on it, expect it to load too fast, and you have to let it take breaks.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
David58117
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Wow, the T1 must be a real piece of crap when the guy who is trying to write a positive review says you can't read for long periods of time, use the buttons, put too many books on it, expect it to load too fast, and you have to let it take breaks.
What?

You don't understand. I'm only trying to figure out what differs between users like me who don't have problems, and users who do. It could be anything from:

1. Bad supply.
2. Bug in OS.
3. User habits.

Please don't use this attempt to trouble shoot and figure out where an issue may lie as a cheap means of attack. I'm not at all saying "you can't do blahblahblah without a crash," but rather asking if - for example - the crash may be caused by a system at it's limit. The T1 isn't as closed off as the Kindle and allows for many more options stock, so there's more area to explore for troubleshooting..

As I said before, I haven't had a crash since about the first week of owning it, I've owned it since release, currently have 1,203 books on it (3 library books), use the buttons primarily but switched to the touchscreen over the past 2 weeks in attempt to set off a "touch screen bug" (with no luck..). I've read up to 5 hours straight on it without problems, but usually settle into 2 hours per day, with a break after about an hour.

BTW - the Kindle takes a while to load a large library in memory as well, hence users complaining about the battery quickly draining. It's just the T1 is more open and has more options (such as viewing by covers as well).
Old 10-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #15
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
It is what it is
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote