Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Another wild card? You will be able to check out library books using any Kindle app.
But, if you have the Bluefire app for iOS devices, you don't need to wait. You can check out library ePub now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #167
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Yeah, I don't see Kindle app integration as a major wild card -- every Windows computer (ADE), Android device (Overdrive), and Apple device (Bluefire) already supported library checkouts. I don't think the Kindle app represents more markets than those devices, does it?

I mean, sure, there will be a small reader population who only uses their Kindle app and never anything else, but are "people who don't care enough about library books to download Overdrive/Bluefire from the markets" going to stick around for the long wait times? I wonder...

Last edited by anamardoll; 08-11-2011 at 10:11 AM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #168
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, if you have the Bluefire app for iOS devices, you don't need to wait. You can check out library ePub now.
I don't own an iOS device, Jon.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #169
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't own an iOS device, Jon.
Neither do I, but Overdrive is a lovely app for library books and checkouts.

And, of course, there's ADE for Windows.

(Actually rooted my Nook Color just for Overdrive, way back in the day. )
Old 08-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #170
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Yeah, I don't see Kindle app integration as a major wild card -- every Windows computer, Android device (Overdrive), and Apple device (Bluefire) already supported library checkouts. I don't think the Kindle app represents more markets than those devices, does it?

I mean, sure, there will be a small reader population who only uses their Kindle app and never anything else, but are "people who don't care enough about library books to download Overdrive/Bluefire from the markets" going to stick around for the long wait times? I wonder...
There are probably a number of people who have only a desktop PC and a Kindle reader, who don't really enjoy reading extensively on desktop PC, and don't want to mess with ADE. I am one of those people. How many people fit into that category? I'm not sure...but it will become very clear once the Kindle/Overdrive program begins.

Last edited by TimW; 08-11-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: removed repeated word
Advert
Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #171
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
There are probably a number of people who have only a desktop PC and a Kindle reader, who don't really enjoy reading extensively on desktop PC, and don't want want to mess with ADE. I am one of those people. How many people fit into that category? I'm not sure...but it will become very clear once the Kindle/Overdrive program begins.
I guess I don't understand, in that case, what you mean by the "Kindle app" being a wild card. If you just have a desktop PC and a Kindle reader, then you don't HAVE a "Kindle app"... do you?

But I agree that the "Kindle reader only" people will increase the library user base.

As for the launch day, I predict that wait times will quadruple initially and then eventually tail off as people stop using libraries and go back to buying. The library fanatics are already, imho, using the libraries, and therefore the new influx will be casual users that will tail off over time. That's my Nostradamus prediction.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #172
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
I guess I don't understand, in that case, what you mean by the "Kindle app" being a wild card. If you just have a desktop PC and a Kindle reader, then you don't HAVE a "Kindle app"... do you?

But I agree that the "Kindle reader only" people will increase the library user base.

As for the launch day, I predict that wait times will quadruple initially and then eventually tail off as people stop using libraries and go back to buying. The library fanatics are already, imho, using the libraries, and therefore the new influx will be casual users that will tail off over time. That's my Nostradamus prediction.
I mentioned "Kindle app" as a wild card because it does indicate that you don't have to own an actual Kindle to use the program. I don't use any apps except occasionally the K4PC app and more rarely the Nook & Sony PC apps.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #173
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
I mentioned "Kindle app" as a wild card because it does indicate that you don't have to own an actual Kindle to use the program. I don't use any apps except occasionally the K4PC app and more rarely the Nook & Sony PC apps.
Ah, okay. Well, if you prefer the Kindle app and refuse to use ADE, Bluefire, Overdrive, etc., then yes -- that would be that demographic I mentioned earlier: I *think* that will be a fairly small group in terms of wait times impact.

My reasoning being that if you're a really heavy library user, you're probably already using those alternatives and are therefore reflected in the existing wait times.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #174
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Ah, okay. Well, if you prefer the Kindle app and refuse to use ADE, Bluefire, Overdrive, etc., then yes -- that would be that demographic I mentioned earlier: I *think* that will be a fairly small group in terms of wait times impact.

My reasoning being that if you're a really heavy library user, you're probably already using those alternatives and are therefore reflected in the existing wait times.
There are many variables...time will tell. My pessimistic nature leads me to predict the following:

1) Library book wait times for everyone will at least double,
2) there will be limited numbers of additional licenses purchased because of library budget cuts, and
3) Amazon will be blamed and thoroughly lambasted.

Hopefully, I will be completely incorrect...but my pessimism has served me well...
Old 08-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #175
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

I actually think wait times will triple or more, at certain libraries. Especially popular ones like FLP.

But I think it will be a short-term issue. FLP can probably afford to buy more licenses and they presumably will do so. Heavy-users (like myself) will adapt -- heavy-users are rarely using the library for new books, and we usually have a big enough To-Read list that a longer wait at the library isn't a major issue. (I'm "30 of 30" on several books right now alone. Meh.) Light-users, including the new Amazon users, will probably become annoyed and then stop using the system, which will bring wait times back to a more stable spot.

As for Amazon being blamed: Meh. Some people will gripe online about the wait times. Some Amazon users will gripe that they weren't missing anything with libraries because "nothing is ever available". A LOT of people will defend the Kindlers' right to the libraries despite most people not arguing against that point. (See also, kitten juggling.) Mobile Reads moderators will have to issue gentle warnings against personal attacks. Life will continue as usual.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #176
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
"I honestly am still kinda torn about libraries devoting money to things like ebooks and dvds"

Why?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #177
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I think in the long run it will be a very good thing to
offer the Library services online to the Kindle users.

By opening it up to a larger group it lets the taxpayers
see a greater value in their local library system.

For me I like the Kindle devices, and if the Library did not
support them then I would view the Library as less valuable.

I am an IT /Computer guy by trade but when I go
home I just want it to be simple and easy to use

I really could care less about which format is "superior"
as long as I can read the words I'm good.
I would tend to believe most users are the same way.

Last edited by Harry_Y; 08-11-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:39 AM   #178
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, you can't.
You might. We don't know how the process will work and what additions Amazon will add to the current apps. It used to be that newspapers and periodicals were not available on the app and now they are becoming available.

Plus using the Kindle app for library withdrawals makes sense...get people to use one app for their reading and they are more likely to stay with Amazon over other apps/platforms/formats.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 AM   #179
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
I think in the long run it will be a very good thing to
offer the Library services online to the Kindle users.

By opening it up to a larger group it lets the taxpayers
see a greater value in their local library system.

For me I like the Kindle devices, and if the Library did not
support them then I would view the Library as less valuable.

I am an IT /Computer guy by trade but when I go
home I just want it to be simple and easy to use

I really could care less about which format is "superior"
as long as I can read the words I'm good.
I would tend to believe most users are the same way.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #180
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
replay from totally misread post deleted.
When I said no you can't, I was replying to a post that said you could take out library eBooks using the Kindle app. It was a mistaken post and the post I replied to has since been corrected.

As to people being able to borrow Kindle eBooks from the library using a Kindle app depends on whether or not Amazon built in the time limited flavor of their DRM. If not, then Amazon will have to update the apps for library access. Or Amazon could have the time limited DRM already in the apps. We won't know until Kindle eBooks are available at libraries and people have a chance to try it out using Kindle apps.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, library, tablet