Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #1591
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
After almost making it through December I've fallen off the wagon. It was a deal in one of those evil 'Bargain' threads. Never heard of the author, never heard of the series. "What?? 3 books for under $2 and the blurb sounds interesting -- well, I've got to get that!"

On the up side, so far I'm resisting grabbing 2 wishlist 'series' books that have dropped from new release to semi-new release pricing. After spending over $200 on one of those super-duper coupons at Fictionwise I've got a huge TBR, I don't need them now. I can wait. *takes a deep breath and repeats to self.* I Can Wait.

(and oh boy do I feel vindicated for my Fictionwise splurge now that they are dead -- which makes the temptation when good coupons pop up even worse.)

Last edited by artifact; 12-28-2012 at 11:43 PM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #1592
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Ended up buying several books this month after a bit of a drought because it seems like all the indie authors I enjoy decided to put out books at the same time.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 AM   #1593
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Ended up buying several books this month after a bit of a drought because it seems like all the indie authors I enjoy decided to put out books at the same time.
Just so long as they were at a good price!

No ebooks bought at all this month! Well, so far, but I only have two days to go...

... and all of January....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #1594
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I treated myself to four agency books from my wish list.

This is totally cheating, because my challenge next year is for my TBR to go down rather than up, and it isn't quite next year yet...

Rather than just giving in and buying the books, I decided I was going to allow myself to spend £20. I feel a bit better about doing it that way round. I'm controlling the money rather than the number of books.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #1595
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
December was doing well, but I broke down and bought Foreigner (C. J. Cherryh) on Friday. And promptly put it on the top of my TBR, and finished it. I've decided to reread the entire series. Many of the early ones aren't in eBook format, sadly, but they are in Audible versions, so that will probably have to do. I'm hooked again.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #1596
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I am definitely a bit of a sucker for the Kindle sales as I will readily buy a load of books if they sound like the sort of thing I would read at some point even if I probably still have some bought in a similar fashion in the same sale last year.

However, I do not actually think it is a bad thing as I have discovered via such sales a number of authors that I would have completely overlooked at full-price and have since gone on and bought the rest of a number of different series given that amazon usually offer book 1's in their sales to lure people in.

If I am only paying 99p or so per book then I would only really need about 1 in 5 to be good and I would be no worse off financially than if I stuck to dearer books from authors I already knew and I would say I am far better at spotting books I would like than that so combined with the discovering new authors I think I have to say the following:

My name is Colin and I am glad that I am an ebook addict!
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #1597
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's nothing wrong with buying bargain books that you think you might like.

It is only a problem (IMO) when you already have 300 similar ebooks waiting for you to get around to reading them....

This isn't an ebook addicts' support thread. It's an ebook buying addicts' support thread.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #1598
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I counted today, and I am at 126 books, but that includes X number of freebies, where X is a number I am far too lazy to count or try to remember. So, not horrible compared to some!
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #1599
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I have 652 e-books in my Calibre library. (Less than 200 on the reader now)

Around 90% of them are freebies, giveaways, public domain, etc...(NONE pirated)

Yet I'm sure I'll probably buy more(DRM-Free only from now on) and borrow more books from the library. I will also probably still buy some paper books too. That is a sickness I haven't gotten over yet. LOL

At least I'll always have something to read!

Last edited by PurpleStar; 01-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #1600
malarkey
Nameless Being

My name is malarkey and I'm becoming an ebook (and audiobook) buying addict! The vast majority of my calibre library is, fortunately, public domain novels, stories, essays, poems and the likes which I've obtained from various websites such as this one and Gutenberg -- in 2012, however, I purchased sixty-four ebooks.

Judging by the TBR lists of others in this thread (yes, I've read the entire thing!), my measly sixty-four books are child's play. At $704.80 for the year, I spent an average of $11.01 per book. However, an addiction becomes a problem when satisfying that addiction isn't within your means -- and I'm a part-time employed university student with three other rather expensive habits (tattoos, comic books, motorbikes).

I only read about twenty books per year, so even if I exclude my plethora of public domain works, I've managed to purchase enough reading material for three years in the span of one year -- and I've only read one of those books so far! My biggest issues are as follows: I don't wait for sales, rather buying things when I decide that they look interesting, regardless of the price (the Kobo emails are a killer); and I don't wait until I've read one book to buy another -- I accumulate books that I may not end up reading any time soon.

I simply don't read fast enough (or make enough money) to justify buying this many ebooks. I need this support thread!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #1601
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
My name is malarkey and I'm becoming an ebook (and audiobook) buying addict! The vast majority of my calibre library is, fortunately, public domain novels, stories, essays, poems and the likes which I've obtained from various websites such as this one and Gutenberg -- in 2012, however, I purchased sixty-four ebooks.

Judging by the TBR lists of others in this thread (yes, I've read the entire thing!), my measly sixty-four books are child's play. At $704.80 for the year, I spent an average of $11.01 per book. However, an addiction becomes a problem when satisfying that addiction isn't within your means -- and I'm a part-time employed university student with three other rather expensive habits (tattoos, comic books, motorbikes).

I only read about twenty books per year, so even if I exclude my plethora of public domain works, I've managed to purchase enough reading material for three years in the span of one year -- and I've only read one of those books so far! My biggest issues are as follows: I don't wait for sales, rather buying things when I decide that they look interesting, regardless of the price (the Kobo emails are a killer); and I don't wait until I've read one book to buy another -- I accumulate books that I may not end up reading any time soon.

I simply don't read fast enough (or make enough money) to justify buying this many ebooks. I need this support thread!
Welcome to the thread.

I think that perhaps the most important thing for you is a wish list. So that when you come across an interesting book, you can add it to your wish list rather than to a shopping cart!

And an average price of $11 is a lot, unless these are weighty non-fiction tomes. It's over three times my average book price.

So - start a wish list (say at Amazon), and don't buy anything unless it meets the guidelines of the thread.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-03-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #1602
malarkey
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Welcome to the thread.

I think that perhaps the most important thing for you is a wish list. So that when you come across an interesting book, you can add it to your wish list rather than to a shopping cart!

And an average price of $11 is a lot, unless these are weighty non-fiction tomes. It's over three times my average book price.

So - start a wish list (say at Amazon), and don't buy anything unless it meets the guidelines of the thread.
I did cringe when I saw that the average book prices of others in this thread are a lot lower than mine! I've never really kept a wishlist before (in fact, I sort of use my Amazon one as a secondary shopping cart...), so that's definitely something that I'm going to have to try. Hopefully impulsively clicking on something, even if it's not the 'Buy It Now' button, will help me resist emptying my bank account!

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-03-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #1603
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
I did cringe when I saw that the average book prices of others in this thread are a lot lower than mine!
It is worth waiting for special offers (Amazon) or discount codes (Kobo and Books on Board).

For example, there's currently a 40% off code available for many Kobo ebooks.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #1604
malarkey
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
For example, there's currently a 40% off code available for many Kobo ebooks.
Don't tempt me!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #1605
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Ooh that explains!

Now I know there is such thing as a ebook buying addict....it explains it all!
Thats why I can't stop browsing, selecting and make longer and longer lists
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote