Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
swifty.tom
swifty.tom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
PDB converting ignores blank lines

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a Kindle, and I thought I'd give it a try with some books in my language (Czech), converting them in Calibre. I grabbed one ebook that's in PDB format. Now the problem is, no matter what options I set for the conversion to MOBI, I can never produce the formatting that's in the original printed book:

Code:
    Paragraph 1........
.......................end.
    Paragraph 2........

Paragraph 3........
Meaning I can't have it output an empty paragraph as a break between logical sections of text (this is a Discworld book, no chapters). Either the paragraphs all stick to each other, indent or not, or they all have a single blank line between them. Either way I can't tell where the break is.

In the original file, this kind of break is indicated by a blank line between lines 2 and 3. Is there any way to force Calibre to turn every single line it encounters, even blank ones, to a paragraph?
swifty.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Jera07
Jera07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I can't answer this, Tom, but I'm sure someone can! :-)

And welcome to the forums!
Jera07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 03:41 AM   #3
swifty.tom
swifty.tom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
This is the solution I ended up using:
- open the PDB in PSPad
- Replace reg. exp. ^(.+)$ with <p>$1</p> (turns all lines into paragraphs)
- Replace reg. exp ^$ with <br/> (turns all blank lines into line breaks)
- add a HTML head for the additional meta info including encoding
- save as HTML and import to Calibre

This will keep the original formatting in the final MOBI output.
swifty.tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Juliepac
Juliepac began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, ipad, android phone
Thumbs down Word > PDB

Could this solution work for the same problem, but from word (nicely formatted ebook) to pdb? I lose all formatting, sometimes it's even difficult to read.
I also use eReader for ipod touch.

Thanks.
Juliepac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
pdb/ereader is an extremely archaic format that supports very little in the way formatting features. If you're creating ebooks to read on the itouch then use epub and Stanza. Output html from MS Word, Convert to epub, and then use Calibre's content server to serve the file to Stanza.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If your iDevice has iOS4 installed, then you may also want to consider using iBooks as the reader as Calibre has inbuilt integration to iBooks via iTunes. It all depends on whether transferring books via WiFi/3G or USB is more important that is likely to be a deciding factor.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
Juliepac
Juliepac began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch, ipad, android phone
Unhappy

Hi guys!

Thanks so much for the replies!
I understand that the Pdb is kind of a very simple format. Actually, I've used stanza for a long long time. But stanza lacks a feature that is extremely important to me: highlighting (yes, stanza does have it, but it's too complicated to get something highlighted in stanza). That's why I changed to eReader.
And about ibooks, I really don't like it. Its features are really poor if you compare it to stanza or erader.
But thanks anyway, guys!
Juliepac is offline   Reply With Quote