Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #1
ssbkt
ssbkt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
New Developer - Getting Started

I'm interested in looking into a sort of 'Sync' feature where books flagged to 'sync' with the device would be automatically sent to the device on the next connection similar to the way news is.

So I started looking into setting up a Windows development environment but am finding it very slow going. I have the source and followed the sets in the User guide to get the Hello World example working but I'm finding it difficult to figure out where to do things like define a new Sync column in the main interface.

This is where a debugging environment would come in very handy. I found this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62475 where 'user_none' mentions additional dependancies, so I know that it must be possible for others to setup their environment but is there more detailed instructions to help a new developer get started?
ssbkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
By a debugging environment you mean running calibre code in a python debugger?

I've never done that with calibre code, even in linux. Python has excellent support for introspection, so I tend to just use print statements

Read up on the pdb module (Python Debugger) you can use that within calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and if you want to do device syncing the first step is to implement a local metadata cache on the devices to keep track of the books.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have also successfully used Eclipse as an IDE, with the PyDev extensions to give interactive debugging.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Oh and if you want to do device syncing the first step is to implement a local metadata cache on the devices to keep track of the books.
ssbkt, if you want to tackle this speak up. I was planning on starting this on the weekend. But if you would like to do it be my guest.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
ssbkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I have also successfully used Eclipse as an IDE, with the PyDev extensions to give interactive debugging.
Can you share any pointers that you remember about setting this up? I downloaded and installed PyDev as well but am having problems with the environment.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
ssbkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
ssbkt, if you want to tackle this speak up. I was planning on starting this on the weekend. But if you would like to do it be my guest.
I'm not likely to get very far with this until I can get a good environment setup for it. I'll keep plugging away on trying to figure this out. I may just use Kovid's print statement suggestion.

How are the various windows exe's created: calibre, calibredb, etc?
Old 01-04-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Building calibre from scratch on windows is not for the faint of heart, there's a windowsdevelopment page on the calibre wiki that outlines how to build various dependencies. If you can build them/pinch them from the calibre install folder, you can then compile calibre. The various executables are just thin wrappers (~500 lines of C code to initialize and launch the python interpreter).
Old 01-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre is primarily developed on Linux. As such Kovid has made it very easy to get going on Linux. I don't know about building on Windows but if it's anything like OS X there are some hard coded paths it expects.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
ssbkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Calibre is primarily developed on Linux. As such Kovid has made it very easy to get going on Linux. I don't know about building on Windows but if it's anything like OS X there are some hard coded paths it expects.
Ok, if Linux is easier than I'll build up a VirtualBox image of Ubuntu and work on this.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbkt View Post
Ok, if Linux is easier than I'll build up a VirtualBox image of Ubuntu and work on this.
Have a look at http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux. At the bottom is a partial list of dependencies. You can go without Podofo if you aren't going to be doing much with PDF. Also you will need to install build essential and the dev packages for poppler.

Here is a quick rundown of getting started.

Code:
bzr pull lp:calibre
python setup.py develop
I like to use --prefix install_path with develop to install into a custom location. If you got complaints about missing dependencies then install them.