Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you explain why common sense tells you this? I am at a loss to see why an LCD screen should be any more or less inherently prone to fingerprints than an eInk screen.
Ok specifically a back-lit, LCD screen (but then aren't they all back-lit?). I haven't noticed a huge amount of feedback about fingerprints on the Nook Glowlight, so common sense suggests that side/front lit e-ink screens are not as bad as front-lit LCD screens for fingerprints. I thought (perhaps wrongly?) that it's the lighting that is the main cause.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 09-23-2012 at 11:04 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Ok specifically a back-lit, LCD screen (but then aren't they all back-lit?). I haven't noticed a huge amount of feedback about fingerprints on the Nook Glowlight, so common sense suggests that side/front lit e-ink screens are not as bad as front-lit LCD screens for fingerprints. I thought (perhaps wrongly?) that it's the lighting that is the main cause.
Most LCD screens are backlit, yes, although there are a few reflective LCD devices, which don't have a backlight.

My point is that we don't actually know whether it's the backlight or the capacitive touchscreen which makes the fingerprints show up. On my iPad, for example, fingerprints show up when the iPad is switched off, but that's because the screen is highly reflective. When I switch the iPad on, the fingerprints are completely invisible.

Last edited by HarryT; 09-23-2012 at 11:11 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #18
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I am not a tech person but giving personal anecdotes. I had a glowlight as well and didn't notice smudging. I did feel like I needed a screen protector on PB and phone but not on the ereaders. The glowlight seemed like a matte finish and the others were shiny. :-)
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I am not a tech person but giving personal anecdotes. I had a glowlight as well and didn't notice smudging. I did feel like I needed a screen protector on PB and phone but not on the ereaders. The glowlight seemed like a matte finish and the others were shiny. :-)
But - please correct me if I'm wrong - the Nook Glowlight has an infra-red touchscreen, not a capacitive touchsceen, does it not? Perhaps it's the capacitive touchscreen which makes the other devices shiny?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Dunno. Hopefully someone does.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
a_str8
a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.a_str8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Finger prints show up on glossy/reflective surfaces. Smartphones and tablets have glass screens, which are reflective. E-ink screens tend to have have non-glossy screens, so they don't show fingerprints. Because Amazon still boasts that you can read the KPW in "bright sunlight with no glare," I think it is safe to assume that it will also have a matte screen.
a_str8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My Kindle Fire always shows fingerprints. It looks horrible. I clean it nightly because it gets pretty bad. I admit I am worried about the PW being capacitive if it will suffer from that same issue. It's not a deal breaker as I like capacitive screens but on eInk I don't know how that will play out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #23
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
My Kindle Fire always shows fingerprints. It looks horrible. I clean it nightly because it gets pretty bad. I admit I am worried about the PW being capacitive if it will suffer from that same issue. It's not a deal breaker as I like capacitive screens but on eInk I don't know how that will play out.
If the screen is active I can not clean my screen with a micro fiber cloth unless it is folded double and even then only lightly. I can sometimes trigger the screen if any pressure is used. It can be cleaned/scrubbed when the cloth is three layers thick.

So I would think finger prints will not phase the capacitive screen.

Last edited by DustyDisks; 09-23-2012 at 05:14 PM.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
If the screen is active I can not clean my screen with a micro fiber cloth unless it is folded double and even then I can sometimes trigger the screen, it can be cleaned when the cloth is three layers thick.

So I would think finger prints will not phase the capacitive screen.
I usually lock it before cleaning but you can see fingerprints when it's active specially if the lights are out and it feels yucky because of the oil film it leaves.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #25
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I usually lock it before cleaning but you can see fingerprints when it's active specially if the lights are out and it feels yucky because of the oil film it leaves.
Funny, it is the reverse for me. With the lights out I can not see anything on the screen, except what I am viewing. But in bright lights and depending on the lighting angle, then yes I can see the smudges.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #26
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Funny, it is the reverse for me. With the lights out I can not see anything on the screen, except what I am viewing. But in bright lights and depending on the lighting angle, then yes I can see the smudges.
It creates shadows on the reading screen. like grey smudges where yellow should be.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #27
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training

Quote:
It creates shadows on the reading screen. like grey smudges where yellow should be.

I will look for that, maybe it is because as I understand it the KFHD has different coatings/glass than the KF? I can not compare because I have never used or seen any KF's before I bought mine.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I will look for that, maybe it is because as I understand it the KFHD has different coatings/glass than the KF? I can not compare because I have never used or seen any KF's before I bought mine.
I don't know maybe they do. I just know on my KFv1 it's really a problem.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
wrenn1
Addict

I've never seen a KF so excuse the dumb question but can you use a screen protector on them? They were necessary on my BB PB.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #30
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
I've never seen a KF so excuse the dumb question but can you use a screen protector on them? They were necessary on my BB PB.
Yes you can. Easier to keep clean that way but unless you pay a good penny you lose some clarity putting one on. I bought two protectors but they are anti-glare and I'm spoiled by how clear and crisp the text rendering is on the Kindle reader app.