Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2015, 05:57 AM   #466
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
how are you creating the collections in the first place, and how are you putting books in them? As you have mentioned
l drag the books to the Device.

Book 1&2 "#myshelves, series"
Book 3 #myshelves, authors"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c1.PNG
Views:	610
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	141868   Click image for larger version

Name:	c2.PNG
Views:	601
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	141869  

Last edited by oren64; 09-10-2015 at 07:13 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #467
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
l drag the books to the Device.
Exactly what are you doing?
- Dragging the book from the calibre list to the device button?
- Dragging the book from calibre to the mounted device?
- Dragging a book from a directory to the mounted device?
- Something else?

Each of these will do different things.
Quote:
Book 1&2 "#myshelves, series"
Book 3 #myshelves, authors"
Sorry, I have no idea how these two statements are connected and connect to the pictures. The pictures show three books in your library and on the device. The second and third books are in collections. The first isn't. I suppose the second book is in a series called "Hebrew" and hence the collection. And the third is in a collection for the author.

What I still don't know is how the collections got there and the books into the collections. Or what your strategy is for putting books into collections. Knowing this, I might be able to suggest a way to handle this. There are some interesting ways to automate the collections discussed in this thread.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #468
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1)setting "#myshelves, series" or "#myshelves, authors" in KoboTouchExtended.
2)Dragging the books from the calibre list to the device button.
3)after processing complete ejecting

Last edited by oren64; 09-17-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:02 AM   #469
oren64
I need a chapter break

Quote:
So, are you planning to do all your collection management in the device and wanted a quick way to remove any empty collections
Yes, that what I want to do.

I check in Kobo Utilities, and other plugin and didn't find a way remove the empty collections.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #470
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Yes, that what I want to do.

I check in Kobo Utilities, and other plugin and didn't find a way remove the empty collections.
Only the driver adds and removes collections. And if it is removing collections, it will also rearranging books in collections.
Advert
Old 11-18-2015, 11:05 PM   #471
slovely
slovely began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Calibre is not seeing my ereader (kobo). This just started happening a few weeks ago. Any suggestions? Thanks
slovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:10 PM   #472
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Please go to the calibre / Devices forum and ask for help there.

Be sure to follow the instructions in My device is not detected by calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #473
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
I've downloaded 2 free books from Kobo bookstore yesterday. But I can't see these books in the Calibre. Is there any way I can use Calibre to manage the download books?

Thx.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:45 AM   #474
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
I've downloaded 2 free books from Kobo bookstore yesterday. But I can't see these books in the Calibre. Is there any way I can use Calibre to manage the download books?

Thx.
If you have downloaded the books on your device, connect it to your computer running Calibre thru' USB. You will see new icons of connected device (and) Card, if any. Click on the device (or card), you will see the list of books on it. Select your book, right click -> Add books to library. Your downloaded book will be added to Calibre library on your computer.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #475
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
If you have downloaded the books on your device, connect it to your computer running Calibre thru' USB. You will see new icons of connected device (and) Card, if any. Click on the device (or card), you will see the list of books on it. Select your book, right click -> Add books to library. Your downloaded book will be added to Calibre library on your computer.
No it won't. If you do that, you will get an error along saying something about the book being a "virtual" book. Books from Kobo to the device can't be added to calibre this way. There are several problems including DRM, so it hasn't been worth solving the problem.

There are several ways to do this:

- Download the epub version of the book from your library in the Kobo store. Then add this to the calibre library.
- Add an empty book with the appropriate title and author. This is done by right-clicking on the add book button and choosing the appropriate option.
- Use the Obok plugin that is part of Apprentice Alf's tools. This can add the book from the library on the PC maintained by the Kobo desktop application or from the connected device.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:40 AM   #476
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
If you have downloaded the books on your device, connect it to your computer running Calibre thru' USB. You will see new icons of connected device (and) Card, if any. Click on the device (or card)...

Quote:
No it won't. If you do that, you will get an error along saying something about the book being a "virtual" book. Books from Kobo to the device can't be added to calibre this way. There are several problems including DRM, so it hasn't been worth solving the problem.

Thanks guys.
Then, download the book would be a easier way to manage in Calibre.

Last edited by 344a; 03-10-2016 at 02:44 PM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:55 AM   #477
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Books from Kobo to the device can't be added to calibre this way. There are several problems including DRM, so it hasn't been worth solving the problem.
Ah.. Didn't think of DRM. Thanks for the information, davidfor.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:18 AM   #478
WendyTJ
WendyTJ began at the beginning.

Device: kobo hd glo
My Shelves issue with series

I am quite sure I am missing something blindingly obvious but I don't know what it is
I have created under custom metadata "My Shelves" with "series" in it
the next field is My Tags... am I meant to put the series title in there?

Also collections is bookshelves?

really do appreciate the help thanks
WendyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:34 AM   #479
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyTJ View Post
I am quite sure I am missing something blindingly obvious but I don't know what it is
I have created under custom metadata "My Shelves" with "series" in it
the next field is My Tags... am I meant to put the series title in there?

Also collections is bookshelves?
The simple part: Yes, collections and shelves are the same. When Kobo added the feature, they were called shelves. They renamed it later. This guide was written fairly early when shelves was the right name.

Yes, I think you have missed something that I think is obvious. But, I'm the person that created the function in the driver, so I'm not the right person to judge that

In the driver the collections/shelve field is a list of columns in your library. The values in the columns are used to create the collections. I explained what I do and what it produces in this post.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:29 AM   #480
WendyTJ
WendyTJ began at the beginning.

Device: kobo hd glo
I just relooked at my Kobo and under the majority of the books I have the series name and sequence.
However the series itself isn't a collection
For example
"Book Name - Wendy's dummies guide to using a toaster
Series name - Wendy's dummies Guides 16
Author - Wendy TJ"

However there is no collection, previously known as bookshelf, in my collection list.

If I manually create the shelf/collection it puts in position 16

Any idea what step I have missed?
I am wondering was I supposed to create under collections all my series/collections/bookshelf manually?

Thanks
WendyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote